Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

EU Gives Green Light for Two Insect Species to Be used for Human Consumption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I just find it a bit odd that vegetarians and vegans enjoy the flavor of meat so much that they go to great lengths to replicate it. Seems like we almost evolved to like meat for some reason huh?
    And they are grimly determined on insisting that it tastes like the real thing even though they have long forgotten what the real thing tastes like.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Peta! *snort*
      Sorry, I don't do drugs. But thanks for confirming that you cannot address the facts that show your claims to be full of baloney, and all you have is well poisoning fallacies, which indicate your tacit loss of the debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        In five years they'll once again reformulate it and yet again insist that now, this time, it really does take like actual meat -- all the while why they continue working on trying to get it to actually taste like meat.
        Actually in years there will be consistent real meat that was grown in the lab without killing any animals, and then you can't even whinge about your 'many years back' ignorance.

Even those who've tried things like the Impossible Burger give it mixed reviews as to if it tastes like real meat as claimed. Often those praising it say its the best tasting plant-based burger or that it almost tastes like the real thing -- showing that it still doesn't match up.
        Yeah no, it's been pretty across the board in taste tests that most meat eaters cannot tell the difference.

The fact that McDonald's quietly cancelled their much ballyhooed introduction of plant-based burgers (although I understand they're still available in Britain) pretty much demonstrates they weren't passing the taste test.
        Given that McDonalds' own real hamburgers don't taste like real meat, that doesn't particularly mean much.

I think it has been so long since you tasted what these things try to imitate that you can no longer make any sort of comparison
        I'd hardly call a few years 'so long'. And again, that ignores the people I know who regularly eat meat who I have tricked. I get that it seems to be a very touchy subject to you, the idea that something could taste like meat and not be meat. Must be some insecurity.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Sorry, I don't do drugs. But thanks for confirming that you cannot address the facts that show your claims to be full of baloney, and all you have is well poisoning fallacies, which indicate your tacit loss of the debate.
          Says the guy who watches PETA videos and thinks that is evidence. I wouldn't put it past PETA to buy some cows, torture them on camera and then make a documentary about how mistreated they are by farms. I remember when they were going around to animals shelters picking up dogs, claiming to rescue them, and then killing them instead. They tossed the bodies in a dumpster. Why? Because PETA thinks owning pets is "animal cruelty" so they killed them so they couldn't be adopted. PETA is an evil organization run by psychopaths.

Comment

Actually in years there will be consistent real meat that was grown in the lab without killing any animals, and then you can't even whinge about your 'many years back' ignorance.

Yeah no, it's been pretty across the board in taste tests that most meat eaters cannot tell the difference.

Given that McDonalds' own real hamburgers don't taste like real meat, that doesn't particularly mean much.

I'd hardly call a few years 'so long'. And again, that ignores the people I know who regularly eat meat who I have tricked. I get that it seems to be a very touchy subject to you, the idea that something could taste like meat and not be meat. Must be some insecurity.
            The impossible burger doesn't seem all that different, health/nutrition wise from a regular burger as far as I can see

Impossible Whopper : 629 calories, 25 grams protein, 58 grams carbs (4 grams fiber), and 34 grams fat.

Traditional Whopper: 660 calories, 28 grams protein, 49 grams carbs (2 grams fiber), and 40 grams fat.

So an Impossible Whopper has 31 fewer calories, 3 grams less protein, 9 more grams of carbs, and 5 fewer grams of fat.

Both sandwiches have about 11 grams of sugar.

https://www.menshealth.com/nutrition...trition-facts/

So other than wanting to avoid real meat for moral reasons, there really isn't any health reason to eat the fake meat.

Comment

Says the guy who watches PETA videos and thinks that is evidence. I wouldn't put it past PETA to buy some cows, torture them on camera and then make a documentary about how mistreated they are by farms. I remember when they were going around to animals shelters picking up dogs, claiming to rescue them, and then killing them instead. They tossed the bodies in a dumpster. Why? Because PETA thinks owning pets is "animal cruelty" so they killed them so they couldn't be adopted. PETA is an evil organization run by psychopaths.
              The two videos I provided had nothing to do with PETA. Thank you for further tacitly admitting your defeat via your admittance that you well poisoned numerous sources because one of those numerous sources happened to be a PETA article.

Comment

The two videos I provided had nothing to do with PETA. Thank you for further tacitly admitting your defeat via your admittance that you well poisoned numerous sources because one of those numerous sources happened to be a PETA article.

peta 1.jpg

Comment

The impossible burger doesn't seem all that different, health/nutrition wise from a regular burger as far as I can see

Impossible Whopper : 629 calories, 25 grams protein, 58 grams carbs (4 grams fiber), and 34 grams fat.

Traditional Whopper: 660 calories, 28 grams protein, 49 grams carbs (2 grams fiber), and 40 grams fat.

So an Impossible Whopper has 31 fewer calories, 3 grams less protein, 9 more grams of carbs, and 5 fewer grams of fat.

Both sandwiches have about 11 grams of sugar.

https://www.menshealth.com/nutrition...trition-facts/

So other than wanting to avoid real meat for moral reasons, there really isn't any health reason to eat the fake meat.
                  Sure, if that's all you look at. But of course that ignores the fact that an Impossible burger does not contain cholesterol, unlike the traditional whopper (not surprised your source left that tidbit out) - 0 g vs ~100 mg. It also ignores things like TMAO (which develop from carnitine and choline) in red meat consumption and can lead to cardiac issues via artheroscopic plaque, as well as its colorectal cancer risk, Etc,m etc,

Comment

Sure, if that's all you look at. But of course that ignores the fact that an Impossible burger does not contain cholesterol, unlike the traditional whopper (not surprised your source left that tidbit out) - 0 g vs ~100 mg. It also ignores things like TMAO (which develop from carnitine and choline) in red meat consumption and can lead to cardiac issues via artheroscopic plaque, as well as its colorectal cancer risk, Etc,m etc,
                    Yum!

Most doctors now think that dietary cholesterol isn't as bad as they once thought and the the body makes it's own cholesterol regardless of how much you eat. Also looking it up, the Impossible whopper has 11g of Cholesterol vs 92g in a whopper. Also they are about equal in Saturate Fat. The impossible burger also has more sodium, too much of which is a known health problem, so it's still pretty much a wash, health-wise between the two.

whopper.jpg
                    https://fastfoodnutrition.org/compar...ssible-whopper

Comment

Yum!

Most doctors now think that dietary cholesterol isn't as bad as they once thought and the the body makes it's own cholesterol regardless of how much you eat. Also looking it up, the Impossible whopper has 11g of Cholesterol vs 92g in a whopper. Also they are about equal in Saturate Fat. The impossible burger also has more sodium, too much of which is a known health problem, so it's still pretty much a wash, health-wise between the two.

whopper.jpg

Not sure where your source is getting its cholesterol number from (indeed it appears you hunted down the only source claiming anything other than the 0g cholesterol that is actually present (Cnet, menshealth, cnbc, allinahealth, etc., all top search results). Perhaps they are mistakenly including mayonnaise, which is notably NOT plant based?

The actual nutrition content of an impossible burger - 0mg cholesterol:
                      Screen_Shot_2022-08-26_at_6.34.01_AM.png
                      So yeah, sounds like they're including some non-vegan thing to get their 10 mg cholesterol.

As to sodium the difference is negligible (and again likely includes that cheese to get the number which again is not plant based).

And of course you ran away from the TMAO issues.

Comment

Not sure where your source is getting its cholesterol number from (indeed it appears you hunted down the only source claiming anything other than the 0g cholesterol that is actually present (Cnet, menshealth, cnbc, allinahealth, etc., all top search results). Perhaps they are mistakenly including mayonnaise, which is notably NOT plant based?

The actual nutrition content of an impossible burger - 0mg cholesterol:
                        Screen_Shot_2022-08-26_at_6.34.01_AM.png
                        So yeah, sounds like they're including some non-vegan thing to get their 10 mg cholesterol.

As to sodium the difference is negligible (and again likely includes that cheese to get the number which again is not plant based).

And of course you ran away from the TMAO issues.
                        I think your source is just the patty, where my source includes the entire burger and bun. And neither one of mine includes cheese.

Comment

Yum!

whopper.jpg

The sodium (salt) content for just the patty itself is 390mg in Beyond Meat and 370mg in the Impossible Burger whereas its only about 75mg in beef. Since I order my burgers without any garnish whatsoever (meat and bread), that's what I look at.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I think your source is just the patty, where my source includes the entire burger and bun. And neither one of mine includes cheese.
                            The bun does not contain cholesterol AFAIK. Mayo, which is not plant based, does.

Comment

The bun does not contain cholesterol AFAIK. Mayo, which is not plant based, does.
                              OK

Comment

• 2023-02-05 11.37.05.jpg

Comment