Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

I doubt that anyone is actually surprised

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Islam does not preach forcible conversion. That Muslims have forcibly converted [as have Christians] is another matter.
    So far from the truth that the phrase wronger than wrong springs to mind.

I cover much of this in great detail in the rather short thread Is Islam inherently violent including how the earlier peaceful verses were abrogated (nullified) by surah 9:5 (Ayat al-Sayf or the Verse of the Sword) which specifically advocates for forced conversion (also HERE)

And when the inviolable months1 have passed, then kill the polytheists wherever you find them and capture them and besiege them and sit in wait for them at every place of ambush. But if they should repent, establish prayer, and give zakāh, let them [go] on their way. Indeed, Allāh is Forgiving and Merciful.

As well as such things as the practice of taqqiya/idtirar (lying to non-Muslims) and jihad (claims it isn't a call to Holy War are rubbish).

If you wish to rehash any of it I would be more than happy to.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

I cover much of this in great detail in the rather short thread Is Islam inherently violent including how the earlier peaceful verses were abrogated (nullified) by surah 9:5 (Ayat al-Sayf or the Verse of the Sword) which specifically advocates for forced conversion (also HERE)

And when the inviolable months1 have passed, then kill the polytheists wherever you find them and capture them and besiege them and sit in wait for them at every place of ambush. But if they should repent, establish prayer, and give zakāh, let them [go] on their way. Indeed, Allāh is Forgiving and Merciful.

As well as such things as the practice of taqqiya/idtirar (lying to non-Muslims) and jihad (claims it isn't a call to Holy War are rubbish).

Not on this thread. However, if you wish to repost your comments, I will consider making a reply.
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Any forced conversion to Christianity would be AGAINST the teaching of Christ and the religion of Christianity. The central tenet of the gospel is that you have to voluntarily ask God to forgive you and accept Christ. Any forced conversion would not "count" - but in Islam, it is built into the religion to use force to convert. That's what it did from the beginning, with Mohammad at the lead of the raids. Anyone NOT using force to convert to Islam would be going AGAINST the teaching of Islam/Mohammad.
        And yet Christians have a long history of doing exactly that. You can declare until you're blue in the face they're not TROOOOOO Christians, but I daresay they'd say the same about you and cherrypick verses from the Bible to support them just as you would for your sect.
        Last edited by Gondwanaland; 01-18-2023, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Not to mention the fact that the founder of Islam himself spread his religion with the tip of his sword.

In fact, Islam is not the religion of peace, it is the religion of subjugation. Peace is only achieved when all the infidels have been converted or killed.
          Last edited by Mountain Man; 01-18-2023, 11:39 AM.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

And yet Christians have a long history of doing exactly that. You can declare until you're blue in the face they're not TROOOOOO Christians, but I daresay they'd say the same about you and cherrypick verses from the Bible to support them just as you would for your sect.
            Because Christians are people too, and people don't always listen and like to take short cuts.

The point is that in so doing we are acting in direct contrast to what we were told whereas if you aren't forcibly converting people to Islam you are acting in direct contrast to what they were told.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Not on this thread. However, if you wish to repost your comments, I will consider making a reply.
              First off it's my thread, but even so I agree that another thread would be better.

I'm going out for a few hours later on tonight and if I remember I'll start one after I get back.

Comment

Because Christians are people too, and people don't always listen and like to take short cuts.

The point is that in so doing we are acting in direct contrast to what we were told whereas if you aren't forcibly converting people to Islam you are acting in direct contrast to what they were told.
                According to your interpretation of Jesus and the verses you have cherrypicked to follow from Bible, sure. Not according to their interpretation of Jesus and the verses they cherrypicked to follow from the Bible. That's the problem. No different than the sects of Islam who have various interpretations of their holy book.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Not to mention the fact that the founder of Islam himself spread his religion with the tip of his sword.
                  Much like most of Christianity's history.
                  In fact, Islam is not the religion of peace, it is the religion of subjugation. Peace is only achieved when all the infidels have been converted or killed.
                  You just described Christianity as well.

Comment

According to your interpretation of Jesus and the verses you have cherrypicked to follow from Bible, sure. Not according to their interpretation of Jesus and the verses they cherrypicked to follow from the Bible. That's the problem. No different than the sects of Islam who have various interpretations of their holy book.
                    Well, no, but feel free to keep talking out of your nether regions.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Those atrocities are no more representative of Islam than the atrocities perpetrated against the Rohingya represent Buddhism or the murders of abortion doctors represent Christianity.

All religions attract fanatics.

I would agree that all ideologies have there fanatics, but actions are lifted from the specific text. Islam though is much different than Christianity. Murdering abortion doctors would be just a sin as murdering the foetus in Christianity. Why you are giving cover for Muslims is strange, though given the religion of migrants to the EU, not so strange. If you would like to know what the text of the Qur'an and Hadiths say with colourful commentary, I would suggest Acts 17 Apologetics. One of the more amusing videos is metrosexuality as commanded by Allah.
                      Last edited by Diogenes; 01-18-2023, 12:05 PM.
                      P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

I would agree that all ideologies have there fanatics, but actions are lifted from the specific text. Islam though is much different than Christianity. Murdering abortion doctors would be just a sin as murdering the foetus in Christianity. Why you are giving cover for Muslims is strange, though given the religion of migrants to the EU, not so strange. If you would like to know what the text of the Qur'an and Hadiths say with colourful commentary, I would suggest Acts 17 Apologetics. One of the more amusing videos is metrosexuality as commanded by Allah.
                        You ignored the atrocities against the Rohingya. Why was that? Or is the killing of Muslims less troublesome for your conscience?

The origins and early history of Islam are [dare I suggest] complicated.
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Much like most of Christianity's history.

You just described Christianity as well.
                          Jesus never spread Christianity with the sword, you idiot. In fact, he clearly stated the exact opposite, telling Peter that "Those who live by the sword, will die by the sword," so anybody who takes up the sword to spread Christianity is going directly against the teachings of Jesus himself.
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

You ignored the atrocities against the Rohingya. Why was that? Or is the killing of Muslims less troublesome for your conscience?
                            I'll admit I wasn't immediately familiar with the reference. Why would the killing of Muslims be less troublesome for my conscience? Did you just mention them to score atrocity points?

The origins and early history of Islam are [dare I suggest] complicated.
                            And bloody

P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Them by all means please show me where Jesus told his followers to forcibly convert someone that I ignored.

Comment

I'll admit I wasn't immediately familiar with the reference.
                                Interesting given the press coverage it received. Still perhaps you did not read/watch those outlets.

Did you just mention them to score atrocity points?
                                Those examples were given to illustrate that three religions that proclaim pacifism have some violent adherents.
                                "It ain't necessarily so
                                To read in the Bible
                                It ain't necessarily so
                                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment