Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Arkansas bans use of Latinx in state documents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arkansas bans use of Latinx in state documents

Sarah Huckabee Sanders, the governor of Arkansas signed an executive order prohibiting the term "Latinx" from government documents. Needless to say some on the left lost it.

On CNN, Democrat political strategist and commentator Maria Teresa Cardona proclaimed such a move "xenophobic" and "anti-immigrant" right after PBS White House Correspondent Laura Barrón-López huffed it was no different than refusing to use someone’s preferred pronouns.

Basically these leftists ignore the fact that the term Latinx is overwhelmingly rejected by Latinos and Latinas as being offensive. A Gallup poll found that only about 4% use it. A Pew Research Poll reached a similar conclusion[1]

IOW, given how Latinos simply do not like this term, insisting on using it by the government would actually be like using the wrong pronouns.

Source: Many Latinos say 'Latinx' offends or bothers them. Here's why.

It might have been intended to be more inclusive, but it actually can feel exclusionary to everyday people.

...Latinx was becoming an official term on elite college campuses, popular among academics, progressives, young activists and LGBTQ groups who wanted gender-neutral terminology. (In Spanish words ending in “O” are masculine and those ending in “a” are feminine. When referring to a mixed-gender group, the plural word ends in the masculine “O,” so substituting that letter for “X” avoids preferencing the men.)

When I heard it, my first thought was that it wasn’t Spanish — but that it was pretentious. Many Latinos like myself see the ‘X’ as odd and off-putting because it doesn’t follow the traditional structure of Spanish, making it awkward and difficult to pronounce because in Spanish few words end with two consonants.

In fact, recent national surveys of Hispanics/Latinos show that the term Latinx is highly unpopular. Influential media and advocacy groups have started dropping the term or even arguing against its use to avoid offending those who dislike it. It might have been intended to be more inclusive, but it actually can feel exclusionary to everyday people.

[...]

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Source: Stop using ‘Latinx’ if you really want to be inclusive

Most of the debates on the usage of “Latinx” – pronounced “la-teen-ex” – have taken place in the U.S. But the word has begun to spread into Spanish-speaking countries – where it hasn’t exactly been embraced.

In July 2022, Argentina and Spain released public statements banning the use of Latinx, or any gender-neutral variant. Both governments reasoned that these new terms are violations of the rules of the Spanish language.

Latinx is used as an individual identity for those who are gender-nonconforming, and it can also describe an entire population without using “Latinos,” which is currently the default in Spanish for a group of men and women.

As a Mexican-born, U.S.-raised scholar, I agree with the official Argentine and Spanish stance on banning Latinx from the Spanish language – English, too.

When I first heard Latinx in 2017, I thought it was progressive and inclusive, but I quickly realized how problematic it was. Five years later, Latinx is not commonly used in Spanish-speaking countries, nor is it used by the majority of those identifying as Hispanic or Latino in the U.S.

In fact, there’s a gender-inclusive term that’s already being used by Spanish-speaking activists that works as a far more natural replacement.

Source

That gender-inclusive term that’s already being used by Spanish-speaking people is "Hispanic."

But as usual, liberal elitists know what's best for these poor dumb minorities who can't think for themselves and are fortunate that these SJWs are around to assist them.

a9646f3e-e334-4ba8-bc89-ba1144b4576c.jpg

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

You and the Babylon Bee already covered the CNN phenomena. Just change out the black guy with a brown guy.

white liberals.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
      You and the Babylon Bee already covered the CNN phenomena. Just change out the black guy with a brown guy.

white liberals.jpg
      lib racism.jpg

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Internalised oppression.
        P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Sarah Huckabee Sanders, the governor of Arkansas signed an executive order prohibiting the term "Latinx" from government documents. Needless to say some on the left lost it.

On CNN, Democrat political strategist and commentator Maria Teresa Cardona proclaimed such a move "xenophobic" and "anti-immigrant" right after PBS White House Correspondent Laura Barrón-López huffed it was no different than refusing to use someone’s preferred pronouns.

Basically these leftists ignore the fact that the term Latinx is overwhelmingly rejected by Latinos and Latinas as being offensive. A Gallup poll found that only about 4% use it. A Pew Research Poll reached a similar conclusion[1]

IOW, given how Latinos simply do not like this term, insisting on using it by the government would actually be like using the wrong pronouns.

Source: Many Latinos say 'Latinx' offends or bothers them. Here's why.

It might have been intended to be more inclusive, but it actually can feel exclusionary to everyday people.

...Latinx was becoming an official term on elite college campuses, popular among academics, progressives, young activists and LGBTQ groups who wanted gender-neutral terminology. (In Spanish words ending in “O” are masculine and those ending in “a” are feminine. When referring to a mixed-gender group, the plural word ends in the masculine “O,” so substituting that letter for “X” avoids preferencing the men.)

When I heard it, my first thought was that it wasn’t Spanish — but that it was pretentious. Many Latinos like myself see the ‘X’ as odd and off-putting because it doesn’t follow the traditional structure of Spanish, making it awkward and difficult to pronounce because in Spanish few words end with two consonants.

In fact, recent national surveys of Hispanics/Latinos show that the term Latinx is highly unpopular. Influential media and advocacy groups have started dropping the term or even arguing against its use to avoid offending those who dislike it. It might have been intended to be more inclusive, but it actually can feel exclusionary to everyday people.

[...]

Source

Source: Stop using ‘Latinx’ if you really want to be inclusive

Most of the debates on the usage of “Latinx” – pronounced “la-teen-ex” – have taken place in the U.S. But the word has begun to spread into Spanish-speaking countries – where it hasn’t exactly been embraced.

In July 2022, Argentina and Spain released public statements banning the use of Latinx, or any gender-neutral variant. Both governments reasoned that these new terms are violations of the rules of the Spanish language.

Latinx is used as an individual identity for those who are gender-nonconforming, and it can also describe an entire population without using “Latinos,” which is currently the default in Spanish for a group of men and women.

As a Mexican-born, U.S.-raised scholar, I agree with the official Argentine and Spanish stance on banning Latinx from the Spanish language – English, too.

When I first heard Latinx in 2017, I thought it was progressive and inclusive, but I quickly realized how problematic it was. Five years later, Latinx is not commonly used in Spanish-speaking countries, nor is it used by the majority of those identifying as Hispanic or Latino in the U.S.

In fact, there’s a gender-inclusive term that’s already being used by Spanish-speaking activists that works as a far more natural replacement.

Source

That gender-inclusive term that’s already being used by Spanish-speaking people is "Hispanic."

But as usual, liberal elitists know what's best for these poor dumb minorities who can't think for themselves and are fortunate that these SJWs are around to assist them.

a9646f3e-e334-4ba8-bc89-ba1144b4576c.jpg
          Meh, I prefer to let Democrats shoot themselves in the foot with their Latinx, rather than waste time and effort on 'executive orders'. Honestly the executive order smacks as much of virtue signalling as the morons that use the term and think they're doing something. I'm sure there are plenty of things the Governor could be doing for the citizens of Arkansas instead of making an executive order to protect them from a scary word libtards made up, in documents they'll likely never see.
          Last edited by Gondwanaland; 01-14-2023, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Meh, I prefer to let Democrats shoot themselves in the foot with their Latinx, rather than waste time and effort on 'executive orders'. Honestly the executive order smacks as much of virtue signalling as the morons that use the term and think they're doing something. I'm sure there are plenty of things the Governor could be doing for the citizens of Arkansas instead of making an executive order to protect them from a scary word libtards made up, in documents they'll likely never see.
            I'm not in favor of the government mandating or restricting language like this, and this here is more push back at attempts toward the former than anything else. I was more amused at how the CNN panelists think that using a term that very few like and many find offensive is the equivalent of refusing to use someone’s preferred pronouns.

Comment

The best option, I think, is to simply remove such questions from forms entirely. Outside of the official census, what does it really matter what nationality you are?
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                The best option, I think, is to simply remove such questions from forms entirely. Outside of the official census, what does it really matter what nationality you are?
                C'monman! here's the deal. How else do you expect the government to keep us divided and squabbling amongst ourselves?

Comment

Gee how about just using "Latin Americans?" because that is what "Latino" refers to. Problem solved. Or "Hispanic" although that refers to any Spanish speaking peoples.

Comment