Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

More Americans identify as Republicans than Democrat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Americans identify as Republicans than Democrat

For the first time in decades, more people identify as Republicans than Democrats, a striking change that bolsters polls showing that the United States is a moderate-conservative nation.

In the latest massive Gallup survey of 10,000 adults, 45% identified as Republicans and 44% as Democrats. That’s a tiny edge for sure, but it’s the first time the GOP has had the lead since former President George H.W. Bush launched the Gulf War in 1991.

Gallup said: “A virtual tie in party identification and leaning represents one of the better outcomes for the Republican Party over the past three decades.”

However, when the choice of independents is thrown in, more U.S. adults picked that label. “Since 2009, independent identification has grown and reached levels not seen before. Now, political independents (41%) greatly outnumber Republican (28%) and Democratic (28%) identifiers,” said Gallup on Thursday.

In a related survey, the polling giant also said that America politically is a moderate-conservative nation. When asked to describe their political views, 47% of adults said moderate, 30% conservative, and 21% liberal.

That survey also revealed that the Democrats are more liberal than ever. “After hovering near 50% in recent years, the percentage of Democrats who identify as politically liberal rose four percentage points in 2022 to 54%, a new high for this group,” said Gallup.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I don't know what the exact margin of error for the poll is, but it's undoubtedly enough that the 1% difference falls within it. It would be more accurate to say the poll shows them effectively tied than to say that it shows more people identify as Republicans.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
      I don't know what the exact margin of error for the poll is, but it's undoubtedly enough that the 1% difference falls within it. It would be more accurate to say the poll shows them effectively tied than to say that it shows more people identify as Republicans.
      Even more so when "Now, political independents (41%) greatly outnumber Republican (28%) and Democratic (28%) identifiers,” is considered. Seems that for the majority of voters, neither of the major parties is exactly the flavour of the month.
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
        I think the point was that this is the first time in ages, so it may represent a trend.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Even more so when "Now, political independents (41%) greatly outnumber Republican (28%) and Democratic (28%) identifiers,” is considered. Seems that for the majority of voters, neither of the major parties is exactly the flavour of the month.
          That.

Comment

I don't "identify" as Republican but it could be assumed since I consider Democrats as the prime enemy right now. If these authoritarians are eventually kicked to the curb, then Republicans will probably rear up with their own nightmares.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
              I don't "identify" as Republican but it could be assumed since I consider Democrats as the prime enemy right now. If these authoritarians are eventually kicked to the curb, then Republicans will probably rear up with their own nightmares.
              Yup - I parted company with the Republicans decades ago, but my beliefs line up far more with them than the Democrats.

The way I see it ---
              The Republicans are corrupt and in desperate need of rehabilitation
              The Democrats have sold their souls to the Devil, and are way beyond hope

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

For the first time in decades, more people identify as Republicans than Democrats, a striking change that bolsters polls showing that the United States is a moderate-conservative nation.

In the latest massive Gallup survey of 10,000 adults, 45% identified as Republicans and 44% as Democrats. That’s a tiny edge for sure, but it’s the first time the GOP has had the lead since former President George H.W. Bush launched the Gulf War in 1991.

Gallup said: “A virtual tie in party identification and leaning represents one of the better outcomes for the Republican Party over the past three decades.”

However, when the choice of independents is thrown in, more U.S. adults picked that label. “Since 2009, independent identification has grown and reached levels not seen before. Now, political independents (41%) greatly outnumber Republican (28%) and Democratic (28%) identifiers,” said Gallup on Thursday.

In a related survey, the polling giant also said that America politically is a moderate-conservative nation. When asked to describe their political views, 47% of adults said moderate, 30% conservative, and 21% liberal.

That survey also revealed that the Democrats are more liberal than ever. “After hovering near 50% in recent years, the percentage of Democrats who identify as politically liberal rose four percentage points in 2022 to 54%, a new high for this group,” said Gallup.
                And how many "independents" are like you, basically Republican?

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Wait, those numbers don't match up with CP's in the OP. I can't believe 41% are independent.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I think, as the Democrats grow progressively more loony (and, "progressive", by definition, can never find a "this is far left enough") more and more Independents will realize the Democrats are nuttier and nuttier all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I count myself in that group.
                      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Unfortunately, this is countered by the trend over the last years of people moving to states that match their politics. NY is going to remain solidly Democratic because the Republicans are leaving. The only good news is NY's influence on national elections and in the House will decrease as the population goes down.
                        "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Is it evidence for being moderately-conservative, or a rejection of far-leftist lunacy that we've been subject to for the last few years. Even your average liberal can't be thrilled with the resulting high crime rates and high rate of inflation and might now hesitate at calling themselves a Democrat out of embarrassment.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                            Unfortunately, this is countered by the trend over the last years of people moving to states that match their politics. NY is going to remain solidly Democratic because the Republicans are leaving. The only good news is NY's influence on national elections and in the House will decrease as the population goes down.
                            It is presumed that blue states will decline economically as businesses also leave. The problem is the whole process is rather slow, which gives Leftoid apologists time to find alternative explanations for the failures.

But I believe we need to start looking at the divide as being urban versus non-urban, instead of state versus state. I'm guessing that non-urban New Yorkers are not sympathetic with Democrat progressives.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                              Last year your governor told conservatives to get out of New York because they're not welcome in the state. Now she recently released a video effectively saying she didn't mean it and please come back (and be sure to bring back your wealth so we can tax the #@%@ out of it).

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment