Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Harry's Book...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't understand the obsession and attention given. Didn't we fight an entire war or two to be free from this Monarchy?

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
      I don't understand the obsession and attention given. Didn't we fight an entire war or two to be free from this Monarchy?
      And yet during every royal wedding or funeral you have some dim-bulb reporter insisting that "all of American" is enthralled by it.

No.

Basically most of those interested are women. I don't know of many men who give a rat's hindquarters about them.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        And yet during every royal wedding or funeral you have some dim-bulb reporter insisting that "all of American" is enthralled by it.

No.

Basically most of those interested are women. I don't know of many men who give a rat's hindquarters about them.
        Also those of us who read The Daily Mail! It is full of the things Harry has said in his book and during interviews.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

No.

Within my family and friends, I don't know of a single man or woman who cares about them.

But I would assume more females because of their interest in reality TV, which feature a lot of no-talent nobodies who become famous by virtue of someone aiming a camera at them. My wife is a guilty party. I'll hear people on TV arguing and making a scene, walk into the room and she's watching "Housewives" of some location, all bickering. I seriously will never understand it. The royals are just another shade of the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Within my family and friends, I don't know of a single man or woman who cares about them.

But I would assume more females because of their interest in reality TV, which feature a lot of no-talent nobodies who become famous by virtue of someone aiming a camera at them. My wife is a guilty party. I'll hear people on TV arguing and making a scene, walk into the room and she's watching "Housewives" of some location, all bickering. I seriously will never understand it. The royals are just another shade of the same thing.
            To be fair, if it wasn't for the royal family, would Americans even care about jolly ol' England? What else will the tabloids pass off as "news"?
            P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

I do not watch these reality shows but as mentioned, I do read the Daily Mail daily, which is very interesting and full of the news of the day, of course interspersed with silly and awful headlines and celebrity and royalty news, but lately cluttered with the Harry issue.

Comment

I think women are interested in the Royal Family for two reasons: 1. They love gossip/drama and, 2.They were raised on romantic fairy tale stories of princesses and prince charming.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

Read it, he has been doing interviews every where! He is a spoiled narcissistic whiner... And Elizabeth lived out her vow over many decades...
                  This confirms you have not read the book.
                  Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                  Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                  But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

This confirms you have not read the book.
                    Don't be an idiot - he has been giving all kinds of interviews... Start here:

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

There have always been unconfirmed accounts that early on, Alexander Hamilton and (to lesser degree) John Adams toyed with the idea of an American monarchy. They aren't on record advocating it but their contemporaries attributed such ideas to them off the record. I am happy such ideas died in incubation.
                      The main beef the American colonists had was with parliament, not the monarchy. To the extent that pre-revolutionary America was upset with the monarchy, it was because the king, as they saw it, was abdicating his power of veto over parliament. It was only when Thomas Paine produced Common Sense that the colonists turned against the idea of a monarchy.

The anti-federalists actually argued that the Constitution was effectively creating a monarchy (based on the powers granted to the president).

Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

That was about two centuries ago.

That said, I don't quite get the attention either, but then again I don't get the attention paid to the Kardashians, but apparently people care enough about them that Keeping Up with the Kardashians ran for over a decade. People just pay attention to celebrities.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                          That was about two centuries ago.

That said, I don't quite get the attention either, but then again I don't get the attention paid to the Kardashians, but apparently people care enough about them that Keeping Up with the Kardashians ran for over a decade. People just pay attention to celebrities.
                          Same. Good point.

Comment

326021751_3354004158174821_6190708850829984913_n.jpg

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It's mostly US liberals with an inability to think for themselves who are drawn to monarchies because they desperately need someone else to tell them what to do.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

It's mostly US liberals with an inability to think for themselves who are drawn to monarchies because they desperately need someone else to tell them what to do.
                                No, because I see it all over conservative news as well (and many of the threads on this forum about them are by conservatives)

Comment