Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Oregon schools encouraged to conceal student's gender from parents.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oregon schools encouraged to conceal student's gender from parents.

It looks like Oregon needs what Virginia experienced back in 2021 -- a housecleaning at the state capitol to allow sanity and reason back in the state's classrooms.

Source: Oregon Wants Schools to Hide Student's Gender Identity From Parents

The Oregon Department of Education has gone woke.

A guide published by the Oregon Public of Education (ODE), encourages schools to hide students’ gender identity from their parents.

In the 48-page document, the guide tells students to hide their gender identity from parents as well as pushes the woke ideology queer theory and the idea that a person can be a different gender from what they were biologically born.

Titled, “Supporting Gender Expansive Students, Guidance for Schools,” explains what to do if students are concerned about their parents finding out about their gender preference.

“Students who are not publicly asserting their authentic gender identity may have privacy concerns about students, school staff, community members, or their families finding out before they are ready to share their identity more widely. Parent and family support is the goal when supporting gender-expansive students, but may not be possible in all situations,” the guide reads.

The guide cites a letter from Colt Gill, the Director of the Oregon Department of Education and Deputy Superintendent of Public Instruction, complaining about how the media “dehumanizes media coverage against gender-affirming education and healthcare.”

The Libs of TikTok posted an email sent to staff at a middle school in Oregon Trail School District directing teachers to refer to a 7th-grade female as “they/them.”

However, the email also asked staff to continue to refer to the students using “she/her” pronouns when talking to their parents.

The staff member told Libs of TikTok that hiding students’ gender confusion with parents is not an unusual occurrence in the district.

Additionally, the guide says that it will offer “gender-affirming” clothing to students who want to dress like the opposite gender they were born as without their parents knowing.

According to Breitbart, the Oregon Department of Education was preparing to spend $2 million on developing pro “LGBTQ2SIA+” curriculum and “safer affirming spaces.”

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Among other things the Oregon Department of Education is teaching kids that they can "have the ability to change your first name in your school record and student information system, without legal documentation," but warn "Parents and guardians may have the ability to see school records."

Parents "May have the ability" to see school records?

Say it with me folks. Home schooling.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Say it with me folks. Home schooling.

Say it with me, imprison educators...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

Say it with me, imprison educators indoctrinators...
      Fixed it for you.

Comment

Waiting for Star's or Hypatia's "Nothing to see here".
        P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Just out of curiosity...

Imagine a scenario in which a school district has a high number of conservative Muslim families. A significant percentage of students from these Muslim families secretly convert to Christianity and talk to other Christian students about Christianity, sometimes pray or read the Bible during free time, and maybe attend a Christian after school club. These children are concerned their families will punish them at best, abuse them at worst if they find out they converted, maybe send them to a special school for children to be indoctrinated into Islam or homes chooled with an Islam-focused curriculum. Should the school notify their parents that their children have converted to Christianity? If your answer is no, how is the scenario in the OP any different? If your answer is yes do you think teachers and guidance counselors have any moral responsibility at all to advocate for their students outside of mandated reporting?

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
            Just out of curiosity...

Imagine a scenario in which a school district has a high number of conservative Muslim families. A significant percentage of students from these Muslim families secretly convert to Christianity and talk to other Christian students about Christianity, sometimes pray or read the Bible during free time, and maybe attend a Christian after school club. These children are concerned their families will punish them at best, abuse them at worst if they find out they converted, maybe send them to a special school for children to be indoctrinated into Islam or home schooled with an Islam-focused curriculum. Should the school notify their parents that their children have converted to Christianity?
            Whether from Islam to Christianity or vice versa, no. The question here is whether self harmful behaviour should be brought to the parents' attention, and whether a change in religious adherence can be classified as self harm. A change of religious faith is completely reversible - acting to change a person's phenomonological gender does not result in a real change, and is not completely reversible.

If your answer is no, how is the scenario in the OP any different? If your answer is yes do you think teachers and guidance counselors have any moral responsibility at all to advocate for their students outside of mandated reporting?
            The difference is in the physical and psychological harm suffered. British and European experience shows that supportive enabling action is substantially more harmful in the long term to substantially more people than helping them adjust to reality. If there was some way to accurately predict who would benefit and who would be adversely affected, maybe action could be taken on that basis - but absent the ability to reliably make such predictions, it is more appropriate to go with the numbers. Gender confusion and same sex attraction are reasonably common before and during puberty - the condition usually self corrects if it is left to follow its natural course. (Like it or not, dysphoria by definition is a psychological problem.)
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
            Scripture before Tradition:
            but that won't prevent others from
            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Just out of curiosity...

Imagine a scenario in which a school district has a high number of conservative Muslim families. A significant percentage of students from these Muslim families secretly convert to Christianity and talk to other Christian students about Christianity, sometimes pray or read the Bible during free time, and maybe attend a Christian after school club. These children are concerned their families will punish them at best, abuse them at worst if they find out they converted, maybe send them to a special school for children to be indoctrinated into Islam or homes chooled with an Islam-focused curriculum. Should the school notify their parents that their children have converted to Christianity? If your answer is no, how is the scenario in the OP any different? If your answer is yes do you think teachers and guidance counselors have any moral responsibility at all to advocate for their students outside of mandated reporting?
              One primary difference is that a change in religion doesn't entail taking various chemicals and having surgery which can lead to irreversible effects. One can always go back to what you believed before.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Whether from Islam to Christianity or vice versa, no. The question here is whether self harmful behaviour should be brought to the parents' attention, and whether a change in religious adherence can be classified as self harm. A change of religious faith is completely reversible - acting to change a person's phenomonological gender does not result in a real change, and is not completely reversible.

The difference is in the physical and psychological harm suffered. British and European experience shows that supportive enabling action is substantially more harmful in the long term to substantially more people than helping them adjust to reality. If there was some way to accurately predict who would benefit and who would be adversely affected, maybe action could be taken on that basis - but absent the ability to reliably make such predictions, it is more appropriate to go with the numbers. Gender confusion and same sex attraction are reasonably common before and during puberty - the condition usually self corrects if it is left to follow its natural course. (Like it or not, dysphoria by definition is a psychological problem.)
                Isn't a student being out as gay or using their preferred name or gender completely reversible? How can the risk from any perceived "enabling action" harm outweigh the risk of suicide or abuse? If I'm understanding you correctly, you seem to believe trans teens become cisgender and gay teens become straight with time and this is a relatively normal process. If that's the case, why does it matter if the parents know especially if there's risk of abuse?

Comment

One primary difference is that a change in religion doesn't entail taking various chemicals and having surgery which can lead to irreversible effects. One can always go back to what you believed before.
                  How does a school using a student's preferred name and gender have anything to do with HRT or sex surgery? I'm addressing the problem you have with the Oregon Department of Education's policies and other similar policies specifically.

Comment

Isn't a student being out as gay or using their preferred name or gender completely reversible? How can the risk from any perceived "enabling action" harm outweigh the risk of suicide or abuse? If I'm understanding you correctly, you seem to believe trans teens become cisgender and gay teens become straight with time and this is a relatively normal process. If that's the case, why does it matter if the parents know especially if there's risk of abuse?
                    For homosexual orientation, probably less harm by not making a fuss. Gender dysphoria is a different matter. Neither case can be termed normal as in a reasonably high percentage of the population.
                    For those who have orientation or identification issues, the issue is simply a "phase" which will settle into the usual patterns within a year or two. There is no way to differentiate during that time whether it is a phase or a deeper issue - so (with no claim that the numbers are accurate) 4 people present with gender dysphoria. Prescribe puberty blockers, start hacking away at their bodies: for three of them that is an irreversible error. That has been the experience in England and Europe, and for that reason such programs have been either curtailed or abandoned.
                    Last edited by tabibito; 01-15-2023, 01:06 AM.
                    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

How does a school using a student's preferred name and gender have anything to do with HRT or sex surgery? I'm addressing the problem you have with the Oregon Department of Education's policies and other similar policies specifically.
                      The main problem I have here is the school promoting things and keeping it secret from the parents. Do you think that's okay?

Comment

For homosexual orientation, probably less harm by not making a fuss. Gender dysphoria is a different matter. Neither case can be termed normal as in a reasonably high percentage of the population.
                        For those who have orientation or identification issues, the issue is simply a "phase" which will settle into the usual patterns within a year or two. There is no way to differentiate during that time whether it is a phase or a deeper issue - so (with no claim that the numbers are accurate) 4 people present with gender dysphoria. Prescribe puberty blockers, start hacking away at their bodies: for three of them that is an irreversible error. That has been the experience in England and Europe, and for that reason such programs have been either curtailed or abandoned.
                        As it begins to dawn on European countries what a terrible mistake they were making, we here in the U.S. are rushing headlong into repeating those mistakes.

Comment

The main problem I have here is the school promoting things and keeping it secret from the parents. Do you think that's okay?
                          I think it's okay for schools to omit mentioning a pre-teen or teenager's out identity (within certain categories) at school if their identity is closeted at home due to fear of abuse or bigotry. The point of my example scenario and questions was to find out what exactly you take issue with.

Comment

But the topic at hand is schools not telling parents if their children identify as trans or gay at school, and therefore they would not getting puberty blockers or sex surgery. If you believe LGBT identification is a phase for the most part, then I don't see any interest a school would have in notifying parents of the fact against a student's wishes.

Comment

But the topic at hand is schools not telling parents if their children identify as trans or gay at school, and therefore they would not getting puberty blockers or sex surgery. If you believe LGBT identification is a phase for the most part, then I don't see any interest a school would have in notifying parents of the fact against a student's wishes.
                              If the matter ends at not notifying, and does not extend to actively helping to conceal.
                              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment