Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

News just in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News just in

Not topics but simply what’s in the news today.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

FBI v Chinese Police operating outside China.

F.B.I. counterintelligence agents searched the building last fall as part of a criminal investigation being conducted with the U.S. attorney’s office in Brooklyn, according to people with knowledge of the inquiry. The search represents an escalation in a global dispute over China’s efforts to police its diaspora far beyond its borders. Irish, Canadian and Dutch officials have called for China to shut down police operations in their countries. The F.B.I. raid is the first known example of the authorities seizing materials from one of the outposts.

Those who discussed the F.B.I. search did so on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter. The Chinese Embassy in Washington on Wednesday played down the role of the outposts, saying they are staffed by volunteers who help Chinese nationals perform routine tasks like renewing their driver’s licenses back home.

But Chinese state news media reports reviewed by The New York Times cite police and local Chinese officials by name describing the operations very differently. They tout the effectiveness of the offices, which are frequently called overseas police service centers. Some reports describe the Chinese outposts “collecting intelligence” and solving crimes abroad without collaborating with local officials. The public statements leave it murky who exactly is running the offices. Sometimes they are referred to as volunteers; other times as staff members or, in at least one case, the director.

NYT
    This is subscription and I cannot get the url.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

America’s worst lawyer?

Source: Alex Jones lawyer Norm Pattis, whose law license was summarily suspended last week for sharing confidential medical files with other lawyers, was working Monday to win a delay that would allow him remain involved in a Capitol insurrection case in Washington while taking an immediate appeal in Connecticut if he cannot get imposition of the suspension postponed there.

https://news.yahoo.com/alex-jones-la...222200868.html

© Copyright Original Source

I believe he failed in his attempt to delay suspension.

Comment

Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post
        Not topics but simply what’s in the news today.
        So, what, this is just your own personal blog disguised as a discussion thread?
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

News: Biden found hiding classified documents in his garage with his Corvette.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

So, what, this is just your own personal blog disguised as a discussion thread?
            No. Open to anyone. I did just want to have a place to drop current news items that are not already being debated in other threads. It might not catch on.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post

No. Open to anyone. I did just want to have a place to drop current news items that are not already being debated in other threads. It might not catch on.
              It already has, it's called "google"

Comment

Proud Boys Trial Diary is here (day two)

https://www.lawfareblog.com/proud-boys-liveblog

Comment

A case I've been following closely is the homicide of the 4 college students in Moscow Idaho. It looks like the suspect has waived his right to a speedy trial, so the next hearing is scheduled for June.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                    America’s worst lawyer?

This is in my state, Pattis has always been a good lawyer, very effective.

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      News: Biden found hiding classified documents in his garage with his Corvette.
                      That is actually a felony, unlike Trump could at least claim the right of declassification.
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

That is actually a felony, unlike Trump could at least claim the right of declassification.
                        I don't know. I would think that there would be some sort of official procedure when declassifying documents, like review by experts to make sure the president isn't endangering national security, or even after he declassifies documents making a record of the declassification and marking them so. If he just willy nilly makes things declassified and nobody knows about it, or takes off the classified markings, then it would be very confusing.

Comment

I don't know. I would think that there would be some sort of official procedure when declassifying documents, like review by experts to make sure the president isn't endangering national security, or even after he declassifies documents making a record of the declassification and marking them so. If he just willy nilly makes things declassified and nobody knows about it, or takes off the classified markings, then it would be very confusing.
                          There might be rules and procedures that certain departments wish to follow, but to my knowledge, there is no law that would prohibit a sitting president from declassifying whatever he wants on a whim.
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Trump's claim that he could merely just think that the documents are declassified is sufficient for declassifying them was at best facetious.

Still, Biden has no avenue at all for declassifying anything until he became president.

And those images of the boxes of documents came from a campaign ad from the 2020 campaign, so they weren't just put there by Trump supporters as some want us to believe.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

There might be rules and procedures that certain departments wish to follow, but to my knowledge, there is no law that would prohibit a sitting president from declassifying whatever he wants on a whim.
                              I don't think it is a "Law" that he can declassify either. It's just one of his powers as head of the executive branch, but I am sure there are procedures involved, it's the government. It's all procedures and red tape.

Comment