Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

U.S. attorney - classified documents from Biden's VP term found at Biden think tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seer View Post
    Well Biden said he had no more either, until they found more.
    I hadn't heard that. Do you have a source?

And I'm sure Biden though he could keep those classified documents because he did. Unless you are claiming that he had no idea...
    I'm claiming that no one can yet prove beyond a reasonable doubt, using publicly available information, that Biden knew he had them.

No, his aides could have mistakenly taken them and he thought (rightly or wrongly) that he could keep them.
    If that was the case, then he could not have declassified them while he was president and purportedly had the power to do so. So keeping them after he found out about them would have been a crime.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoic View Post
      We'll see how well that claim ages.
      Your arguments here give me deja vu of the Burisma thread and the laptop story. It's incredible how you can be on the wrong side of the argument so many times.

Comment

• Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
        Oh he knows he is just expressing his disbelief that you would not have informed your self of the list that comey gave of her illegal acts just before he said but we won't prosecute her for them. Among said illegal I ties is using an insecure server for government business,
        What law is there against using an insecure server for government business?

and trying to destroy evidence on that server and staff members BlackBerry phones after a court ordered injunction not to do anything with the server or phones.
        AFAIK, they were never able to prove that Hillary tried to destroy evidence on the server, nor BlackBerry phones, whether before or after any such injunction. (While there were people working for Hillary who did those things, they haven't claimed that it was at her direction.)

Give me a break I only have to assume you were being purposely obtuse with that question or one of the low information voters that the Democrats love because they are more apt to vote Democrat. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and go with the former.
        Well, I'll just assume that you are one of those people who thinks you know more than you do.

Comment

'There's Nothing There,' Biden Said the Day Before the FBI Found More Classified Documents in His House

https://reason.com/2023/01/23/theres...-in-his-house/

I'm claiming that no one can yet prove beyond a reasonable doubt, using publicly available information, that Biden knew he had them.
          Then why did he say he had no regrets about the handling of the documents? Why even say that? Why not say he didn't even know that he had them?

If that was the case, then he could not have declassified them while he was president and purportedly had the power to do so. So keeping them after he found out about them would have been a crime.
          The point is you are not willing to give the same consideration to Trump as you did to Biden considering the initial gathering of the documents.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Your article lists people who knew they were taking classified documents and keeping them where they weren't supposed to be kept.
            Biden could not have removed them from the SCIF unintentionally. He also was keeping them where they were not supposed to be (he should have returned them to the SCIF within the day according to the rule you posted). Also some of the cases listed were basically carelessness or they thought they had a good reason to have the documents.

Also I have been watching/reading news today and a couple of Senators have mentioned that they have never been allowed to take documents from a SCIF and they were not even allowed to take notes to take with them on the documents. So that puts doubts on the source you provided that taking documents from a SCIF is allowed and routine.

"When we view documents we have to leave them in the room where we see them without taking notes, without making copies, without any kind of transcription and I think that kind of practice prevailed when then-Sen. Biden looked at them as well," Sen. Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn., said.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell said he didn't know it was possible to take documents out of the sensitive compartmentalized information facility, known as the SCIF.

Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., called it "unthinkable."

“The process we go through is so elaborate and careful to review any of these documents that I can’t understand how any individual, senator can take possession of a classified document, let alone remove it to another location," Durbin said.

https://weartv.com/news/nation-world...rland-delaware

And for being careless, a slap on the wrist is standard.

Last edited by Sparko; 01-25-2023, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Didn't he say that on a Friday a day or two before they announced finding more documents?

Originally posted by Stoic View Post
              When they keep getting found in his personal, private library in different places, it becomes incredibly difficult to maintain that.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Your article lists people who knew they were taking classified documents and keeping them where they weren't supposed to be kept.

That will be relevant when we get to the point where it can be proved that Biden knew about the classified documents. Until then, at worst, he was careless. (At best, someone else was careless.)

And for being careless, a slap on the wrist is standard.
                You think someone accidentally dropped them off at Biden's house, AND Hunter accidentally stumbled upon documents relative to his cushy Burisma job?
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Biden could not have removed them from the SCIF unintentionally. He also was keeping them where they were not supposed to be (he should have returned them to the SCIF within the day according to the rule you posted). Also some of the cases listed were basically carelessness or they thought they had a good reason to have the documents.
                  Pick one that you want to defend as being no worse than what Biden has done (keeping in mind that you can't prove that Biden knew he had classified documents at Penn or in his home).

Also I have been watching/reading news today and a couple of Senators have mentioned that they have never been allowed to take documents from a SCIF and they were not even allowed to take notes to take with them on the documents. So that puts doubts on the source you provided that taking documents from a SCIF is allowed and routine.
                  You mean this source?

Comment

Pick one that you want to defend as being no worse than what Biden has done (keeping in mind that you can't prove that Biden knew he had classified documents at Penn or in his home).

You mean this source?
                    Your source is specific rules regarding one committee. It is not law.

and as I said, actual Senators claim otherwise than your source. I would think they would actually know one way or another, given that they are actually there and have actually handled classified documents.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post

'There's Nothing There,' Biden Said the Day Before the FBI Found More Classified Documents in His House

https://reason.com/2023/01/23/theres...-in-his-house/
                      In context, he is not saying that there are no more classified documents:

Q Do you have any regret, sir, that you did not reveal the existence of the documents back in November, before the midterms?

THE PRESIDENT: Just hang on, okay?

Look, as we found — we found a handful of documents that were failed — were filed in the wrong place. We immediately turned them over to the Archives and the Justice Department. We’re fully cooperating and looking forward to getting this resolved quickly.

I think you’re going to find there’s nothing there. I have no regrets. I’m following what the lawyers have told me they want me to do. It’s exactly what we’re doing. There is no there there.

Thank you.

source

Then why did he say he had no regrets about the handling of the documents? Why even say that? Why not say he didn't even know that he had them?
                      There seem to be multiple opinions about what exactly Biden said he has no regrets about.

President Biden said on Thursday that he had “no regrets” that the White House did not disclose before the midterm elections that classified documents from his time as vice president were found in his private office in early November.

source

The point is you are not willing to give the same consideration to Trump as you did to Biden considering the initial gathering of the documents.
                      I'm willing to give Trump the exact same consideration as Biden. All he has to do is say (with a straight face) that he didn't know that he had any classified documents at Mar-a-Lago.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        Your source is specific rules regarding one committee. It is not law.
                        Do you think there is a law that says you can't take any classified materials out of a SCIF?

and as I said, actual Senators claim otherwise than your source. I would think they would actually know one way or another, given that they are actually there and have actually handled classified documents.
                        Well, you probably won't care much for Politifact's take on it, either, but I'll just leave this here anyway:

https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...classified-do/

Comment

In context, he is not saying that there are no more classified documents:

Q Do you have any regret, sir, that you did not reveal the existence of the documents back in November, before the midterms?

THE PRESIDENT: Just hang on, okay?

Look, as we found — we found a handful of documents that were failed — were filed in the wrong place. We immediately turned them over to the Archives and the Justice Department. We’re fully cooperating and looking forward to getting this resolved quickly.

I think you’re going to find there’s nothing there. I have no regrets. I’m following what the lawyers have told me they want me to do. It’s exactly what we’re doing. There is no there there.

Thank you.

source

There seem to be multiple opinions about what exactly Biden said he has no regrets about.

President Biden said on Thursday that he had “no regrets” that the White House did not disclose before the midterm elections that classified documents from his time as vice president were found in his private office in early November.

source

I'm willing to give Trump the exact same consideration as Biden. All he has to do is say (with a straight face) that he didn't know that he had any classified documents at Mar-a-Lago.
                          Given we now have Trump, Biden, and Pence with classified documents they should not have had, what is clear is that there is a problem in terms of collecting all classified documents that made their way into the personal effects of presidents and vice presidents during their terms. And, in fact, the problem is likely related to the fact Presidents and Vice Presidents LIVE where they work, and all spaces are effectively capable of legally housing classified documents. So clearly, the procedures in place to safeguard such documents, expecially during the transition from one president to another, are insufficient.

Are there massive differences between the Biden and Pence disclosures and those surrounding Trump and Mar-A-Largo. Yes.

Does it matter? Likely not in terms of holding Trump accountable. Clearly there is a problem that 'could' have been a contributing factor. My guess is if you went to Obama's house, or Carters, or Bush's etc, you'd find the same thing (unless long ago the breaches were discovered and quietly rectified)
                          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            Only because you're old.
                            I Resemble that remark

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                              Are there massive differences between the Biden and Pence disclosures and those surrounding Trump and Mar-A-Largo. Yes.
                              And that difference is that Joe and Hunter were selling national security secrets to America's enemies, which is exponentially worse than anything President Trump did. On the one hand, you have a petty dispute between a former president and the National Archives, and on the other, literal treason.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• It will all fizzle out. No one will be indicted. It's too complicated a ball of red tape for the average consumer and/or voter to hash out and make sense of. It's mostly a big clickbait scheme.

Comment