Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

U.S. attorney - classified documents from Biden's VP term found at Biden think tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. attorney - classified documents from Biden's VP term found at Biden think tank

U.S. attorney - reviewing documents marked classified from Joe Biden's Vice Presidency found at Biden think tank

Attorney General Merrick Garland has assigned the U.S. attorney in Chicago to review documents marked classified that were found at the Penn Biden Center for Diplomacy and Global Engagement in Washington, two sources with knowledge of the inquiry told CBS News. The roughly 10 documents are from President Biden's vice-presidential office at the center, the sources said. CBS News has learned the FBI is also involved in the U.S. attorney's inquiry.

The material was identified by personal attorneys for Mr. Biden on Nov. 2, just before the midterm elections, Richard Sauber, special counsel to the president confirmed. The documents were discovered when Mr. Biden's personal attorneys "were packing files housed in a locked closet to prepare to vacate office space at the Penn Biden Center in Washington, D.C.," Sauber said in a statement to CBS News. The documents were contained in a folder that was in a box with other unclassified papers, the sources said. The sources revealed neither what the documents contain nor their level of classification. A source familiar told CBS News the documents did not contain nuclear secrets.

Sauber also said that on the same day the material was discovered, Nov. 2, the White House counsel's office notified the National Archives, which took possession of the materials the following morning.

"The discovery of these documents was made by the President's attorneys," Sauber said. "The documents were not the subject of any previous request or inquiry by the Archives. Since that discovery, the President's personal attorneys have cooperated with the Archives and the Department of Justice in a process to ensure that any Obama-Biden Administration records are appropriately in the possession of the Archives."

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Will the FBI be raiding his Delaware compound looking for more?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Will the FBI be raiding his Delaware compound looking for more?
      Of course.

Not.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Smells like a virtual signal to me. "FBI is nonpartisan, see?"

We will find that the papers were nothing to worry about and just dismissed, but it PROVES the FBI is not just hunting Trump, right? right?

Comment

I found this line from the story rather curious:

"Since that discovery, the President's personal attorneys have cooperated with the Archives and the Department of Justice in a process to ensure that any Obama-Biden Administration records are appropriately in the possession of the Archives."

Couldn't that same thing have been said about President Trump who was actively cooperating with the National Archives at the time the Stasi descended on his private residence?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            I found this line from the story rather curious:

"Since that discovery, the President's personal attorneys have cooperated with the Archives and the Department of Justice in a process to ensure that any Obama-Biden Administration records are appropriately in the possession of the Archives."

Couldn't that same thing have been said about President Trump who was actively cooperating with the National Archives at the time the Stasi descended on his private residence?
            There are obviously several dissimilarities between the two cases, but the most important one was the names of those involved.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

There are obviously several dissimilarities between the two cases, but the most important one was the names of those involved.
              I should think the most glaring difference is that Trump was President, Commander in Chief, and more than anyone else on the planet is expected to have access to such documents. Biden was only VP. And under the Obama structure, Biden was the court jester, who did little more than enrich his family through Ukraine and China. And since Biden is the one with evidence of selling influence, he is the LAST person we'd want to see with secret documents stashed on his property.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I should think the most glaring difference is that Trump was President, Commander in Chief, and more than anyone else on the planet is expected to have access to such documents. Biden was only VP. And under the Obama structure, Biden was the court jester, who did little more than enrich his family through Ukraine and China. And since Biden is the one with evidence of selling influence, he is the LAST person we'd want to see with secret documents stashed on his property.
                Also worth noting that the vice president has no declassification authority.

Comment

Well. That'll be the biggest media difference.

This is one of those things where nuance get's left behind by both sides. Many of the complaints by those across the aisle were there mere fact that Trump had classified information in an area he wasn't supposed to. All of the other things (repeated lies, special master, etc.) were just evidence that it was all some nefarious plot, but the key crime was having them and mis-storing them.

That's now going to change. NOW the main thrust will be the "cover-up." Sure, Biden did the thing we lambasted Trump about, but Trump kept lying and obstructing, while Biden merely accidentally had them, and once found, they IMMEDIATELY handed them over, therefore, Biden's fine.

It's a mix of both. Trump shouldn't have had classified information, neither should Biden. Full Stop. The FBI raid at Mar-a-Lago after Trump repeatedly rebuffed requests and claimed he'd turned everything over. It doesn't make sense that there would be an FBI raid here. The cases are too dissimilar in that regard.

Comment

Biden thinks?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

This is one of those things where nuance get's left behind by both sides. Many of the complaints by those across the aisle were there mere fact that Trump had classified information in an area he wasn't supposed to. All of the other things (repeated lies, special master, etc.) were just evidence that it was all some nefarious plot, but the key crime was having them and mis-storing them.

That's now going to change. NOW the main thrust will be the "cover-up." Sure, Biden did the thing we lambasted Trump about, but Trump kept lying and obstructing, while Biden merely accidentally had them, and once found, they IMMEDIATELY handed them over, therefore, Biden's fine.

It's a mix of both. Trump shouldn't have had classified information, neither should Biden. Full Stop. The FBI raid at Mar-a-Lago after Trump repeatedly rebuffed requests and claimed he'd turned everything over. It doesn't make sense that there would be an FBI raid here. The cases are too dissimilar in that regard.
                      Exactly.

Or almost exactly, anyway. The only thing I would change is that "cover-up" should be "intent".

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post
                        Exactly.

Or almost exactly, anyway. The only thing I would change is that "cover-up" should be "intent".
                        You seem to miss the part though where the "main thrust" is going to shift because they found out their guy did the original argument first. (Or, maybe you didn't and you will just agree we should shift it, just to protect biden)

Comment

Of course, that will be the media angle (the boldened section). Because Biden is such an honest guy ( )

I'm still curious why Biden "accidentally" had Top Secret documents as VP. I'd like to hear some clarification on that.

Comment

The main point with regards to Trump is that there is no evidence that he had anything that he as President didn't have a right to.

Joe, on the other hand, had no business as vice president being in possession of classified material, although I suppose Obama, if he wanted, could claim that he declassified the documents before Joe took them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Of course, that will be the media angle (the boldened section). Because Biden is such an honest guy ( )

I'm still curious why Biden "accidentally" had Top Secret documents as VP. I'd like to hear some clarification on that.
                              From the reporting so far I haven't seen anything about the level of classification, just that they had classification markings. As for "accident", I don't know, it seems very unlikely to me. However, (and this is the big caveat), I was Joe Schmoe, not the VP (or president). I expect that they are not as tight as scif/non-scif control as other places, due to the nature of the job. Neither one is likely to be expected get up and change work areas when they are looking at classified documents. Also, it'll be unlikely that their offices will be declared scifs, due to the number of uncleared visitors that go through them. This means that (most likely, all guess work here), they are an exception, and that their classified/unclassified work gets mingled together, and it's the job of aides to keep such things straight. And an Aide screwing up is how I expect an "accident" occurs.

Comment