Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

U.S. attorney - classified documents from Biden's VP term found at Biden think tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Machinist View Post
    It will all fizzle out. No one will be indicted. It's too complicated a ball of red tape for the average consumer and/or voter to hash out and make sense of. It's mostly a big clickbait scheme.
    It's looking like it will depend on whether Biden voluntarily steps down or not. But that also doesn't mean it won't be an issue in 2024.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoic View Post
      Do you think there is a law that says you can't take any classified materials out of a SCIF?

Well, you probably won't care much for Politifact's take on it, either, but I'll just leave this here anyway:

https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...classified-do/
      Reading your source, removing a classified document is not like checking a book out of a library and forgetting to return it. They have security protocols involved, and it is a pretty big deal. So Biden as a Senator should not have been able to remove classified documents and just have forgotten to return them and then accidentally get mixed up with his other documents. It had to be intentional smuggling of the documents out of the SCIF and stealing.

Originally posted by Your source
      Molly Shadel, a University of Virginia law professor who formerly worked at the Justice Department, gave an example of a Justice Department lawyer working with top secret/sensitive compartmented information materials in a SCIF. The lawyer might find that some of the documents need to be presented to a judge, which would require an off-site meeting.

"In that situation, the lawyer would use a special DOJ-issued bag with special locks and other security features" to transport the materials, Shadel said. "But that lawyer would need to lock the materials up in a SCIF when she’s not using it, perhaps at a local FBI field office. She couldn’t just keep it overnight in her hotel room."

Moss said classified documents, no matter their level, "cannot simply be removed and taken outside of any secured space without complying with security protocols."

Comment

• News about Pence's documents:

Source: https://www.aol.com/classified-documents-found-pence-home-054849772.html

Among the 12 classified documents recovered from former vice president Mike Pence’s home, several were reportedly background briefings prepared for his official international tours.

The documents may have been overlooked because they were with other old trip binders, and would be hard to spot without skimming through each of the pages, multiple sources told CNN.

Such briefing binders often include details about the people an official is going to meet during their international visit and the information included can range from basic background knowledge on foreign leaders to more confidential intelligence about them.

The classification marking of the papers was on a “lower level”, the sources told CNN, and there were reportedly no documents found with the highest levels of classification known as “sensitive compartmented information” (SCI) and “secret”.

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          News about Pence's documents:

Source: https://www.aol.com/classified-documents-found-pence-home-054849772.html

Among the 12 classified documents recovered from former vice president Mike Pence’s home, several were reportedly background briefings prepared for his official international tours.

The documents may have been overlooked because they were with other old trip binders, and would be hard to spot without skimming through each of the pages, multiple sources told CNN.

Such briefing binders often include details about the people an official is going to meet during their international visit and the information included can range from basic background knowledge on foreign leaders to more confidential intelligence about them.

The classification marking of the papers was on a “lower level”, the sources told CNN, and there were reportedly no documents found with the highest levels of classification known as “sensitive compartmented information” (SCI) and “secret”.

© Copyright Original Source

Last night someone predicted that because Pence is so straight-laced that we would soon be told what he had that was "classified" -- things like the dinner menu at the White House.

Looks like he was right.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Reading your source, removing a classified document is not like checking a book out of a library and forgetting to return it. They have security protocols involved, and it is a pretty big deal. So Biden as a Senator should not have been able to remove classified documents and just have forgotten to return them and then accidentally get mixed up with his other documents. It had to be intentional smuggling of the documents out of the SCIF and stealing.
              The one document that requires special explaining is the one marked Top Secret/SCI. I'm sure the investigators will want to know what SCIF it was taken out of, who took it, and how it ended up where it did.

And the answers to those questions will determine whether Biden is in any legal jeopardy, once he leaves office.

My prediction is that he won't be. Unfortunately, the answers to those questions probably won't be made public, so you will be free to assume that he's getting special treatment.

Comment

The one document that requires special explaining is the one marked Top Secret/SCI. I'm sure the investigators will want to know what SCIF it was taken out of, who took it, and how it ended up where it did.

And the answers to those questions will determine whether Biden is in any legal jeopardy, once he leaves office.

My prediction is that he won't be. Unfortunately, the answers to those questions probably won't be made public, so you will be free to assume that he's getting special treatment.
                Like I said I am sure he will get a slap on the wrist. Because of who he is. I also think that it means that Trump will also get off because they need to keep appearances that they are being "fair"

Comment

I don't think in the WH such documents are solely held in SCIFs - or perhaps large areas of the WH are designated as SCIF's - including the private quarters - as we already know at least Trump had a habit of leaving them lying about in the Oval office. My guess is all these documents whether Pence, Biden, or Trump, were simply gathered from whatever file or desk contained papers normally seen as personal. In fact, AFAIK, there was a process that was supposed to be adhered to that recognized such documents might be present where they were gathered and to make sure they were not included as that leaders affects were packed up.
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Like I said I am sure he will get a slap on the wrist. Because of who he is. I also think that it means that Trump will also get off because they need to keep appearances that they are being "fair"
                    The narrative being desperately promulgated by the left is that what President Trump did is somehow so much worse than what Joe and Hunter were up to,
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I think you are right on both counts, though the idea there is any similarity between the two events (beyond the fact these are classified documents) is absurd. Neither Pence nor Biden tried to hide the fact they had the documents once they were discovered, they cooperated fully when they were discovered/ Further, they were self-discovered - in both cases no records existed that pointed to the documents being missing. All of that points to this being an error, a mistake likely made by those responsible for packing the documents. Trump's case is significantly different. He took over a hundred of documents, documents cateloged and tracked, took them willfully, and when told he needed to return them, took efforts to keep them illegally, including lying about whether he still had documents on the premises.
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

The narrative being desperately promulgated by the left is that what President Trump did is somehow so much worse than what Joe and Hunter were up to,
                        1) Joe and hunter were not 'up to something' wrt the documents found
                        2) The circumstances ARE much worse wrt Trump - he took them purposefully, willingly as evidenced by the fact he lied about whether he had them, then resisted returning them, then lied about whether he'd returned all of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

I think you are right on both counts, though the idea there is any similarity between the two events (beyond the fact these are classified documents) is absurd. Neither Pence nor Biden tried to hide the fact they had the documents once they were discovered, they cooperated fully when they were discovered/ Further, they were self-discovered - in both cases no records existed that pointed to the documents being missing. All of that points to this being an error, a mistake likely made by those responsible for packing the documents. Trump's case is significantly different. He took over a hundred of documents, documents cateloged and tracked, took them willfully, and when told he needed to return them, took efforts to keep them illegally, including lying about whether he still had documents on the premises.
                          According to the Presidential Records Act of 1978, all official records and documents of both the President and Vice President are property of the National Archives and should go there. And it says they have to take special care to keep personal records separate from any official records. Apparently none of them did this. Except maybe Pence, since it appears the only documents he has were briefing memos that were given to him during trips.
                          Last edited by Sparko; 01-26-2023, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Comment

• Just a little reminder:

I'm always still in trouble again

Comment

Comment