Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Cops Fled Six Major Democrat-Led Cities In Droves In 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cops Fled Six Major Democrat-Led Cities In Droves In 2022

Cops Fled Six Major Democrat-Led Cities In Droves In 2022. Here’s Why

• Officers departed in large numbers from the ranks of several Democrat-controlled cities’ police forces in 2022.
    • Issues like low morale and insufficient pay plagued departments as officers worked overtime amid continuing violent crime, according to multiple outlets.
    • “Patrol officers these days feel like they’re not getting the support that they once got by the public,” Texas Christian University policing professor and reserve officer Johnny Nhan told the Daily Caller News Foundation.

Droves of officers left at least six Democrat-led major cities’ police forces in 2022, with many moving to different departments, multiple outlets reported.

Scores of officers resigned from police departments amid low morale, a continuing violent crime wave and higher paying police jobs in other places, according to multiple reports. Texas Christian University Associate Dean of Graduate Studies and policing professor Johnny Nhan told the Daily Caller News Foundation that low morale has become a major problem in many police departments. (RELATED: A Years-Long Law Enforcement Crisis Is Hindering Homicide-Plagued Portland, Experts Say)

“Patrol officers these days feel like they’re not getting the support that they once got by the public,” said Nhan, who has become a reserve police officer himself. “It’s anything from apathy to hostility that they’re facing. They’re afraid of accusations of being racist or being brutal, they’re filmed all the time, so that does something to the officers. They’re feeling like, ‘Hey, there’s a lot of legal risk being a cop these days.'”

About 1,225 officers in their first five years of service resigned from America’s largest local police force, the New York City Police Department (NYPD), in the first 11 months of 2022, according to New York City Police Pension Fund data cited by The New York Times.

“Other communities are recognizing the talent and are poaching our members,” New York City Police Benevolent Association President Patrick J. Lynch told the outlet. “If we pay our police officers a market rate of pay, they will stay here.”

A spokesperson for the NYPD Deputy Commissioner of Public Information’s office told the DCNF that the department has hired “approximately 2000 individuals” in 2022.

Robberies and aggravated assaults across 70 law enforcement agencies’ jurisdictions respectively rose by about 13 and 2.6% in the first half of the year compared to the same part of 2021, while homicides fell by roughly 2.5%, according to a Major Cities Chiefs Association report.

San Diego Police Department (SDPD) Police Union President Jered Wilson said the department lost more than 50 officers between July 1 and Sept. 29, according to Fox 5 San Diego. More than 60 officers who had resigned from the SDPD from July 2021 through June 2022 moved to different law enforcement agencies, The Los Angeles Times reported.

“They see the urban decay that is really occurring in San Diego, and they are fleeing with their families, they are fleeing with their careers,” Wilson said, according to Fox 5. San Diego County hit its highest mid-year violent crime rate in ten years by the end of June 2022, accompanied by a 4% spike in homicides and a 15% increase in robberies, SANDAG reported.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

[*Straightens clothes and checks hair and clears throat*]

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

At our school board meeting last month (heck, last YEAR now ) our Superintendent bemoaned the fact that there's a teacher shortage and that teachers don't get the respect they deserve.

I wanted to yell, "well, YEAH, you've been attacking AUTHORITY for 50 years now, what do you EXPECT!"
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        At our school board meeting last month (heck, last YEAR now ) our Superintendent bemoaned the fact that there's a teacher shortage and that teachers don't get the respect they deserve.

I wanted to yell, "well, YEAH, you've been attacking AUTHORITY for 50 years now, what do you EXPECT!"
        I woulda asked if it was a result of the source of potential groomers drying up.

Now that the words out the schools are no longer hunting grounds.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

So, do police departments seek a certain numerical balance between officers and the local population? I never could figure this out. I live in a quiet but growing suburb that sees relatively little crime, yet the police chief and mayor keep complaining they need more officers. And I see officers all the time, laying in wait at speed traps or eating en masse at the local Mexican restaurant. It sure doesn't feel like a shortage.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
            So, do police departments seek a certain numerical balance between officers and the local population? I never could figure this out. I live in a quiet but growing suburb that sees relatively little crime, yet the police chief and mayor keep complaining they need more officers. And I see officers all the time, laying in wait at speed traps or eating en masse at the local Mexican restaurant. It sure doesn't feel like a shortage.
            Generally, particularly in smaller departments, it's "how many officers can we actually justify". And, sadly, some of that "justification" comes in the way of traffic enforcement for financial offset.

The more practical driver would be "when we have a violent crime, what is the response time" - or will we ever be able to get an officer there due to staffing shortages.

There are no hard and fast rules.

Comment

For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

They are leaving Democrat cities because they can't get away with police brutality against people of colour anymore in those cities.

P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Generally, particularly in smaller departments, it's "how many officers can we actually justify". And, sadly, some of that "justification" comes in the way of traffic enforcement for financial offset.
                They pushed - very heavily - for a sales-tax increase to expand the police department in November. It was defeated, and I suspect that was mainly due to their not offering any argument for the need. I certainly wasn't going to support adding more officers for more speed traps.

The more practical driver would be "when we have a violent crime, what is the response time" - or will we ever be able to get an officer there due to staffing shortages.

There are no hard and fast rules.
                Last summer, in a neighboring city, a driver with an outstanding warrant led police on a chase. I am told that nearly our entire department raced over to assist. The driver eventually stopped at a gas station, got out, and reportedly held a gun at his side. My daughter's friend was at the gas station at the time and just happened to be recording on her phone chatting with someone. You hear a cop shout "He's got a gun!" and then 10 seconds of solid gunfire. He was shot to death, as well as his unarmed girlfriend still in the car. It's all under investigation still.

Comment

They pushed - very heavily - for a sales-tax increase to expand the police department in November. It was defeated, and I suspect that was mainly due to their not offering any argument for the need. I certainly wasn't going to support adding more officers for more speed traps.
                  Yes, I'm a believer in "show me the reason" when somebody says "show me the money".

Our local ambulance service (EMS, for which I am the chaplain) justifies increases in money by very carefully documenting response times, lives saved, opportunities lost... they document EVERYTHING and are able to put it out into "this is why we need that funding".

Last summer, in a neighboring city, a driver with an outstanding warrant led police on a chase. I am told that nearly our entire department raced over to assist. The driver eventually stopped at a gas station, got out, and reportedly held a gun at his side. My daughter's friend was at the gas station at the time and just happened to be recording on her phone chatting with someone. You hear a cop shout "He's got a gun!" and then 10 seconds of solid gunfire. He was shot to death, as well as his unarmed girlfriend still in the car. It's all under investigation still.
                  A lot of that will be because of low pay, hiring inexperienced officers, and not providing the training they need. It's a vicious cycle.

Comment

A lot of that will be because of low pay, hiring inexperienced officers, and not providing the training they need. It's a vicious cycle.
                    It looks like that in some jurisdictions, after the experienced officers said they had enough, they've just been looking for bodies to fill the ranks. I suspect that some of those that they're hiring they would have never given a second look at pre-Floyd -- and that will certainly end up biting them in the butt in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      It looks like that in some jurisdictions, after the experienced officers said they had enough, they've just been looking for bodies to fill the ranks. I suspect that some of those that they're hiring they would have never given a second look at pre-Floyd -- and that will certainly end up biting them in the butt in the end.
                      The law of unintended consequences often bites really hard.

Comment

Ah yes, the ole "Give us more money so we can get more officers to then take more money from you for any bullcrap infraction we can claim you committed"

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
                          Ah yes, the ole "Give us more money so we can get more officers to then take more money from you for any bullcrap infraction we can claim you committed"
                          About 25 years ago, Texas Rangers started sting operations on areas known to be speed traps, and two of those little municipalities lost their right to operate a police department - the law enforcement operations were turned over to county sheriff departments. Other 'speed trap towns' took notice and really cleaned up their acts.

Not saying they're not still around, but nothing like it use to be.

Comment