Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

UK woman arrested for silently praying across from abortion clinic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There seems to be an exclusion zone to prevent intimidation of health workers - unfortunately necessary.

Yes, go pray somewhere else you silly woman.

A woman has been charged with breaching an exclusion zone outside a Birmingham abortion clinic. Isabel Vaughan-Spruce, aged 45, from Malvern in Worcestershire, was arrested near the BPAS Robert Clinic in Kings Norton on December 6.

She was later charged with breaking a Public Space Protection Order, said by Birmingham City Council to have been introduced to ensure "people visiting and working there have clear access without fear of confrontation". Vaughan-Spruce will appear at Birmingham Magistrates' Court on February 2 next year.

A West Midlands Police spokesperson said: "Isabel Vaughan-Spruce, aged 45 from Geraldine Road, Malvern, was arrested on December 6 and subsequently charged on December 15 with four counts of failing to comply with a Public Space Protection Order (PSPO). She was bailed to appear at Birmingham Magistrates Court on February 2 2023."
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

That law itself is dystopian. There is no law against praying in a buffer zone unless it is prayer expressing an opinion about abortion. A crowd could assemble at that same point to pray for the woman who was arrested, and would not be in breach of the buffer zone law.
      I get it, it's a dystopian law...but what can you do?

Just why not stay out the buffer zone, because you have no need to be there in first place. Prayer works just the same inside the buffer zone as it does on the outside.

Comment

Originally posted by Machinist View Post
        Why would this woman be outside an abortion clinic in the first place?

Of course she is opposed to abortion, and probably passionately.

Why couldn't she have prayer from her home, or at least outside the buffer zone?

You don't need to be in the buffer zone to pray. If you've been told to get out, then get out. Play fair.

Now if the police come to you outside the buffer zone and ask if you are praying, and arrest you if you say that you were...

...then that would be dystopian.
        I hate to admit it because of my leanings, but that's about right. I suspect this arrest was intended for publicity. The "prayer" portion is an odd inclusion and is a topic by itself, but the thrust here is that she was noticeably standing in the buffer zone and got arrested. Not for praying, but for being there and being obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
          There seems to be an exclusion zone to prevent intimidation of health workers - unfortunately necessary.

Yes, go pray somewhere else you silly woman.

Yes, we need peace and quiet while killing the unborn and so as to not distract a mother from obtaining an abortion.
          P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

Tbh, my conversation with Starlight has given off "days of Lot" vibes though, that's more a product of familiarity with the Bible' (as any stealth Christian worth their salt would be familiar with the Bible) and other background habits. The sermon practically writes itself .

Edit: I'm sure this will be used against me by certain forum members, but meh.
            There is a discount if you sign up before the Armageddon hits in full force. And a bonus autographed photo by Paul himself. We couldn't get Jesus because of that whole graven image thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I hate to admit it because of my leanings, but that's about right. I suspect this arrest was intended for publicity. The "prayer" portion is an odd inclusion and is a topic by itself, but the thrust here is that she was noticeably standing in the buffer zone and got arrested. Not for praying, but for being there and being obvious.
              On the other hand, God sometimes calls us into the buffer zone.

I can see both sides here.

Comment

Yes, we need peace and quiet while killing the unborn and so as to not distract a mother from obtaining an abortion.
                Yeah, there's that. Some people feels so strongly against abortion they feel like they are on a crusade.

Comment

Yeah, there's that. Some people feels so strongly against abortion they feel like they are on a crusade.
                  I'm not against protections from harassment for women seeking abortions, but silent and peaceful protest should be protected. I would even concede to barring overly grotesque depictions of abortions outside of clinics, though the are a core part of anti-smoker campaigns.
                  P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                    Because a woman quietly praying (to the point she had to be asked if she was praying) is oh so terribly menacing. Scary too.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Because a woman quietly praying (to the point she had to be asked if she was praying) is oh so terribly menacing. Scary too.
                      It is to the devil and his human children....
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I'm not against protections from harassment for women seeking abortions, but silent and peaceful protest should be protected. I would even concede to barring overly grotesque depictions of abortions outside of clinics, though the are a core part of anti-smoker campaigns.
                        What i'm saying is that this is a crusade for a lot of people. There is a wide spectrum amongst Christians as to the actions they take against abortion. One extreme are the crusaders, and the other extreme are the ones that feel strong against abortion and will share their opinion to others when the subject is brought up. I'm pretty much of this latter group.

Comment

What i'm saying is that this is a crusade for a lot of people. There is a wide spectrum amongst Christians as to the actions they take against abortion. One extreme are the crusaders, and the other extreme are the ones that feel strong against abortion and will share their opinion to others when the subject is brought up. I'm pretty much of this latter group.
                          People should have the right to protest something they don't approve of in a peaceful manner. Or even just silently praying while standing on a street corner.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

People should have the right to protest something they don't approve of in a peaceful manner. Or even just silently praying while standing on a street corner.
                            I agree.

But do you think it should be lawful for abortion clinics to establish buffer zones where none of that is allowed?

Comment

I agree.

But do you think it should be lawful for abortion clinics to establish buffer zones where none of that is allowed?
                              no. that is infringing on other people's civil rights. As long as the protestors are not on private property they should be able to peacefully protest.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

no. that is infringing on other people's civil rights. As long as the protestors are not on private property they should be able to peacefully protest.
                                Yup - and there are enough laws in place to deal with protestors who infringe other people's rights to go about their lawful business without being assaulted or harassed. All it takes is to enforce those laws, a much better approach than introducing another new poorly thought out law.
                                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                                Scripture before Tradition:
                                but that won't prevent others from
                                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment