Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

UK woman arrested for silently praying across from abortion clinic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by eider View Post
    Come on......... you don't much like that PC in that situation, but in some other you might well applaud him.
    If you're talking about the officer - I don't believe I have ever disparaged him --- it's the process. I have no doubt he was doing what he was assigned to do.
    It is ALWAYS best to get voluntary compliance when arresting people on legitimate charges --- had he been arresting her for violating an order against simply standing there, I'd say he did it right.
    The fact that he actually had to ask her if she was praying --- that's where this thing gets downright nuts.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Oh yes she did....... After previous incidents she could have chosen to demonstrate elsewhere, in some other way.
      Free choice about that.
      It was not the "where". It was the PRAYER.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You clearly don't understand.
        Invitations can reduce aggression, increase safety, they give the PC a chance to read a person more closely, they also increase legal safety.
        Personally, I understand that quite well - I've even "cajoled" persons into compliance in arrest situations, cause I didn't want to get my uniform messed up.

But obviously a person who has a heated agenda about something will nit-pick all day long.
        Ummmmm.... the woman was standing there "maybe praying in her head", and there was no prohibition against her "standing there".

#
        But you don't like folks praying in your own field, it seems. What a joke.
        She was on public property. You're mixing apples and wormholes.

Comment

Oh yes she did....... After previous incidents she could have chosen to demonstrate elsewhere, in some other way.
          Free choice about that.
          Thats a nice goalpost shift.

Comment

Invitations can reduce aggression, increase safety, they give the PC a chance to read a person more closely, they also increase legal safety.
            But obviously a person who has a heated agenda about something will nit-pick all day long.
            #
            That's exactly what I said so I'm not sure what part you think I don't get. But the fact remains if they are not free to leave then they are being detained. Period.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

#
              Someone's field is not public property you malignantly braindead bimbo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

If you're talking about the officer - I don't believe I have ever disparaged him --- it's the process. I have no doubt he was doing what he was assigned to do.
                Yes...... I reckon that's right.

It is ALWAYS best to get voluntary compliance when arresting people on legitimate charges --- had he been arresting her for violating an order against simply standing there, I'd say he did it right.
                Yes..... I only hope that CivilDiscourse reads that.........

The fact that he actually had to ask her if she was praying --- that's where this thing gets downright nuts.
                No he did not! That is not true! Time to watch the film in post one again!

Comment

It was not the "where". It was the PRAYER.
                  She wasn't arrested for praying.
                  Watch the film again!

Comment

Personally, I understand that quite well - I've even "cajoled" persons into compliance in arrest situations, cause I didn't want to get my uniform messed up.
                    Yes! Absolutely!
                    A young ex-squaddie worked with me at DIY stores with all those sharps and other weapons on display. One day we stopped a big guy for stealing tools with our usual 'invitation to return' and he jumped back, pulled a bloody great chisel from his bag, flipped off the protective end-cap and then began to slowly advance upon us. My mate said to him 'Wow! You look just like Bruce Willis!' The bloke slowed a bit and then Andy said 'But he was saving the World, you're just trying to nick £30!'.... The bloke dropped the chisel and nodded.

She was on public property. You're mixing apples and wormholes.
                    Oh no! Not another 'This'm ma land!' thing?

Look, friend........ folks can pray in the fields here, in the woods, in the valleys and the streets, on the hilltops and in the meadows. Your ideas about freedom are well dodgy, methinks.

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Thats a nice goalpost shift.
                      Look...... you've moaned about what the cop said, then suggested a really very stupid alternative. Take a post on this page which reads:-

You see? Read......and learn.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        That's exactly what I said so I'm not sure what part you think I don't get. But the fact remains if they are not free to leave then they are being detained. Period.
                        How do your police and sheriffs do it?

Sheriff: I'm detaining you for burglarizing that thar property.
                        Burglar: But rogue says that I am still free to go!
                        Sheriff: Um, err, he did? Well then I guess ya'll can go. Have a nice day now........ err..... ???

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Someone's field is not public property you malignantly braindead bimbo.
                          You mad Maori....

Comment

You mad Maori....
                            ? You turning racist, eh? All us brown people look alike, huh?

I see you were too inept to address the actual damn point that someone's field is private property and not public property. A little too hard for your racist peabrain to grasp?

Comment

How do your police and sheriffs do it?

Sheriff: I'm detaining you for burglarizing that thar property.
                              Burglar: But rogue says that I am still free to go!
                              Sheriff: Um, err, he did? Well then I guess ya'll can go. Have a nice day now........ err..... ???
                              I refuse to even imagine which orifice you extracted the above from.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

? You turning racist, eh? All us brown people look alike, huh?
                                Oh no..... I don't think all Maoris are mad, nor did I mention their colour.
                                No..... I would like to call you the Kinky Kiwi from now on. I really don't care which country you might hail from, nor your skin colour.
                                Nice name, much better than the muck you throw at me.

Comment