Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

UK woman arrested for silently praying across from abortion clinic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

It seems you also do not understand the word "implicit"
    And you didn't understand just how seriously important it is to use invitation to attract voluntary actions.

Comment

• Originally posted by eider View Post

And you didn't understand just how seriously important it is to use invitation to attract voluntary actions.
      Who says. I'm merely pointing out that "voluntary" isn't a correct word, as in the end, it's a false choice.

Comment

Who says. I'm merely pointing out that "voluntary" isn't a correct word, as in the end, it's a false choice.
        Telling someone to come along voluntarily is designed to make the person think they have a choice when they really don't and to urge them to comply.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Telling someone to come along voluntarily is designed to make the person think they have a choice when they really don't and to urge them to comply.
          Rogue06, I invite you to voluntarily leave tweb permanently. If you don't, I will ban you!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Rogue06, I invite you to voluntarily leave tweb permanently. If you don't, I will ban you!!!
            [*Channels James Cagney*]... You'll never take me alive you dirty copper!

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I think you're merely nit-picking at the actions and words of a West MIdlands Police Officer who knew exactly what to say and do.
              Armchair criticism from an armchair cop?

Comment

I think you're merely nit-picking at the actions and words of a West MIdlands Police Officer who knew exactly what to say and do.
                Armchair criticism from an armchair cop?
                No, something I find humorous. And one you seem overly touchy about. Perhaps you don't like the fact that it's a false volunteer?

Comment

No, something I find humorous. And one you seem overly touchy about. Perhaps you don't like the fact that it's a false volunteer?
                  He can't -- or should I say, won't -- accept that his beloved government has slid perceptively toward dictatorship. Hence all the silly denialism.

Comment

Ha ha! You still don't get it.......! Police often ask folks to attend police stations voluntarily....all the time! And they often do.....
                    If the woman had voluntarily got in the police car then she would not even have needed to be detained.

Oh no! Do you know the difference between detaining and arresting? Yes?.......No?.......... !!! ........... Now you have a really nice day

Comment

Ha ha! You still don't get it.......! Police often ask folks to attend police stations voluntarily....all the time! And they often do.....
                      If the woman had voluntarily got in the police car then she would not even have needed to be detained.

Oh no! Do you know the difference between detaining and arresting? Yes?.......No?.......... !!! ........... Now you have a really nice day
                      And you point out that she had no real choice. As I said, it's the equivalent of a mugger threatening you with a knife.

Comment

And what would happen if they didn't "voluntarily" go with them? If they are not free to go then they are being detained -- under arrest -- no matter how nicely you want to make it look.

It's all about making it easier for the police to effect the arrest, and getting you to "volunteer" (or as they used to say around here, "come along peacefully") is the best way to make it easier. But in the end, the results are the same.

Comment

It's best not to bust PSPOs, I guess, but that PC was 100% correct in word and procedure.
                          You are certainly entitled to be wrong, even stubbornly so.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

And what would happen if they didn't "voluntarily" go with them? If they are not free to go then they are being detained -- under arrest -- no matter how nicely you want to make it look.

It's all about making it easier for the police to effect the arrest, and getting you to "volunteer" (or as they used to say around here, "come along peacefully") is the best way to make it easier. But in the end, the results are the same.
                            You clearly don't understand.
                            Invitations can reduce aggression, increase safety, they give the PC a chance to read a person more closely, they also increase legal safety.
                            But obviously a person who has a heated agenda about something will nit-pick all day long.
                            #
                            But you don't like folks praying in your own field, it seems. What a joke.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

You are certainly entitled to be wrong, even stubbornly so.
                              Come on......... you don't much like that PC in that situation, but in some other you might well applaud him.

Comment

And you point out that she had no real choice. As I said, it's the equivalent of a mugger threatening you with a knife.
                                Oh yes she did....... After previous incidents she could have chosen to demonstrate elsewhere, in some other way.
                                Free choice about that.

Comment