Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

UK woman arrested for silently praying across from abortion clinic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by eider View Post

You should write Police training courses, CD...really.
    I was particularly overjoyed with your '.....peacefully, or.....' threats to a middle aged woman of about 8 stone.

...made my morning!
    Daily Reporter:-
    Police abduct woman from street after making a 'peacefully or' threat.........

Precisely what would have happened if she declined his "invitation."

You must be proud over what your country has become.

And just think how much safer England is today since they carted her off.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• When a government decides to make peaceful disagreement and peaceful protest illegal, they have become authoritarian and need to be replaced.

Comment

You just don't get it..... .... But for me, having used, commenced or tried to use the same invitation on every occasion (for shop thefts) over tens of years, and having taught it to hundreds of adult pupils and delegates, any invitation to do something by any Police Constable of Contracted Operative makes such perfect sense.

Police 'invite' folks to comply, to allow, to take part, in every possible situation, and when people criticise them for this then you can be sure that they are biased for some reason.
        When the "invitation" is simply a means to get compliance without a struggle, it doesn't change the fact that the person was detained. Even in the States, the words "under arrest" are open to wide interpretation.

The bottom line has to do with the answer to the question "am I free to go?". Unless the answer is "yes", the person is, for all practical purposes, "under arrest". The words "you are under arrest" need not be uttered.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          When a government decides to make peaceful disagreement and peaceful protest illegal, they have become authoritarian and need to be replaced.
          I don't think authoritarian is even the right word as essentially all governments have some level of authoritarianism baked in merely by existing. Totalitarian is the better word I think.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

I don't think authoritarian is even the right word as essentially all governments have some level of authoritarianism baked in merely by existing. Totalitarian is the better word I think.
            agreed.

And then they have outlawed THINKING, they have jumped the shark into Orwellian Totalitarianism.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

When the "invitation" is simply a means to get compliance without a struggle, it doesn't change the fact that the person was detained. Even in the States, the words "under arrest" are open to wide interpretation.
              Invitation sequences are standard practice, they reduce struggles and violence, increase safety, and they increase legal safety.
              In England/Wales 'under arrest' means exactly that. And 'Detained' means exactly that.

The bottom line has to do with the answer to the question "am I free to go?". Unless the answer is "yes", the person is, for all practical purposes, "under arrest". The words "you are under arrest" need not be uttered.
              A member criticised the police use of the word 'invitation'.
              And in England/Wales a person has to be told tha\t they are arrested, and why, and cautioned, at the moment when their freedom has been deprived. But invitation sequences are most reasonable. That member was clutching at straws and want to use a sentence instead, which included 'come peacefully, or....' Ouch! Horridly bad.

Comment

Invitation sequences are standard practice, they reduce struggles and violence, increase safety, and they increase legal safety.
                In England/Wales 'under arrest' means exactly that. And 'Detained' means exactly that.

And in England/Wales a person has to be told tha\t they are arrested, and why, and cautioned, at the moment when their freedom has been deprived. But invitation sequences are most reasonable. That member was clutching at straws and want to use a sentence instead, which included 'come peacefully, or....' Ouch! Horridly bad.
                If you are going to criticize my complaint, actually get it correct. I never criticized the word "invitation." That is 100% false. I criticized the word "Voluntarily" becasue the implicit threat implied makes the 'invitation' anything OTHER than voluntary.

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

If you are going to criticize my complaint, actually get it correct. I never criticized the word "invitation." That is 100% false. I criticized the word "Voluntarily" becasue the implicit threat implied makes the 'invitation' anything OTHER than voluntary.
                  In the Army they call it being "Voluntold"

Comment

The sergeant comes by and says you three just volunteered for X

Or says, "I'm looking for some volunteers -- you three will do."

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Navy: Never Again Volunteer Yourself.

I always told my guys that painting was "arts and crafts" :D

Comment

Why, SURE!!!! If you can get somebody to come along willingly, that's more civil and more safe for everybody. HOWEVER, if the intent is that the person is going to be taken to the station regardless, it doesn't change that fact one bit.

Yes, REGARDLESS of whether the process begins with a polite "invitation".

Whether I politely "invite" you to come to the station or grab you and drag you there does not change the fact that the person is being arrested and detained, and in this case, for the horrid offense of praying quietly in her head.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The only threat I noticed was 'peacefully, or...'
                          See ya later.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Why, SURE!!!! If you can get somebody to come along willingly, that's more civil and more safe for everybody. HOWEVER, if the intent is that the person is going to be taken to the station regardless, it doesn't change that fact one bit.

Yes, REGARDLESS of whether the process begins with a polite "invitation".

Whether I politely "invite" you to come to the station or grab you and drag you there does not change the fact that the person is being arrested and detained, and in this case, for the horrid offense of praying quietly in her head.
                            It's best not to bust PSPOs, I guess, but that PC was 100% correct in word and procedure.

Comment

The only threat I noticed was 'peacefully, or...'
                              See ya later.
                              It seems you also do not understand the word "implicit"

Comment

That gets back to how they say you make a "contribution" to Social Security when they take money out of your check for it. Try not "contributing" and see what happens.

It is a mandatory tax but they don't want to present it as such. Nevertheless, that's what it is.

Comment