Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Robots Run McDondald's in Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robots Run McDondald's in Texas

Welcome to the First Ever McDonald's Where You're Served by Robots—In Texas

McDonald's has begun testing its first-ever robot restaurant in Texas, sparking debate and intrigue in equal measure.

In Forth Worth, Texas, the branch is fully automated and requires no human contact to order and pick up your favorite meal.

The introvert's dream gained viral attention online after TikTok and Instagram user foodiemunster shared a video from inside. With 1.2 million views, the video shows how customers can use automated screens to order fast food and collect it via a machine.

McDonald's explained in a statement that the restaurant includes new features including the "Order Ahead lane," where customers can receive their order on a conveyer belt.

The restaurant is the latest move in McDonald's "Accelerating the Arches" growth strategy, which is working on innovation to improve customer experiences.

"When you step inside the test restaurant concept, you'll notice it's considerably smaller than a traditional McDonald's restaurant in the U.S. Why? The features—inside and outside—are geared toward customers who are planning to dine at home or on the go," McDonald's said in the statement.

"Inside the restaurant, there's a delivery pick-up room for couriers to retrieve orders quickly and conveniently. There are also kiosks, where customers can place their orders to go, and a pick-up shelf for orders. Outside the restaurant, there are several parking spaces dedicated to curbside order pick-up, as well as designated parking spaces for delivery drivers."

The introduction of the new technology has divided people online who were unsure about the ethical impact of the change.

"Well there goes millions of jobs," said one commenter, while another added: "Honestly if they go through with this I'll just boycott McDonald's, their food's mid at best anyway."

"This will put so many people out of work," said another commenter. "I'm not for it."

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

The talking point that "automation will ultimately create more jobs" never made sense to me. The point of automating is to reduce human capital. There might be a job or two controlling the automation, but it won't outweigh the number of hourly jobs slashed.

Anecdotally, I've heard that the AI art trend has resulted in human artists being commissioned a lot less now.

I don't know what the solution is to this long term, but it may involve heavy taxation of robot labor. "Just retrain the displaced workers" is often suggested, but there's no guarantee that they'll find work in their new careers, or that whatever they train won't be hit by automation next.

I don't eat at McDonalds, but I would avoid any such restaurant for the same reason I try to avoid self check lines. They steal jobs.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      The talking point that "automation will ultimately create more jobs" never made sense to me. The point of automating is to reduce human capital. There might be a job or two controlling the automation, but it won't outweigh the number of hourly jobs slashed.

Anecdotally, I've heard that the AI art trend has resulted in human artists being commissioned a lot less now.

I don't know what the solution is to this long term, but it may involve heavy taxation of robot labor. "Just retrain the displaced workers" is often suggested, but there's no guarantee that they'll find work in their new careers, or that whatever they train won't be hit by automation next.

I don't eat at McDonalds, but I would avoid any such restaurant for the same reason I try to avoid self check lines. They steal jobs.
      By the way, I'm wondering when Walmart will have the Christmas Party for us free self-check 'employees'!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Welcome to the First Ever McDonald's Where You're Served by Robots—In Texas

McDonald's has begun testing its first-ever robot restaurant in Texas, sparking debate and intrigue in equal measure.

In Forth Worth, Texas, the branch is fully automated and requires no human contact to order and pick up your favorite meal.

The introvert's dream gained viral attention online after TikTok and Instagram user foodiemunster shared a video from inside. With 1.2 million views, the video shows how customers can use automated screens to order fast food and collect it via a machine.

McDonald's explained in a statement that the restaurant includes new features including the "Order Ahead lane," where customers can receive their order on a conveyer belt.

The restaurant is the latest move in McDonald's "Accelerating the Arches" growth strategy, which is working on innovation to improve customer experiences.

"When you step inside the test restaurant concept, you'll notice it's considerably smaller than a traditional McDonald's restaurant in the U.S. Why? The features—inside and outside—are geared toward customers who are planning to dine at home or on the go," McDonald's said in the statement.

"Inside the restaurant, there's a delivery pick-up room for couriers to retrieve orders quickly and conveniently. There are also kiosks, where customers can place their orders to go, and a pick-up shelf for orders. Outside the restaurant, there are several parking spaces dedicated to curbside order pick-up, as well as designated parking spaces for delivery drivers."

The introduction of the new technology has divided people online who were unsure about the ethical impact of the change.

"Well there goes millions of jobs," said one commenter, while another added: "Honestly if they go through with this I'll just boycott McDonald's, their food's mid at best anyway."

"This will put so many people out of work," said another commenter. "I'm not for it."
        All the 'we need 15+ bucks an hour minimum wagefor flipping burgers' folks were warned. Now they're gonna find out.

Comment

As I've heard it said, $0/hr is the real minimum wage.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

All the 'we need 15+ bucks an hour minimum wagefor flipping burgers' folks were warned. Now they're gonna find out.
            On the contrary, boycott such places. Doesn't matter how much robots save over human employees if human customers won't eat there.
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

People dont realize that labor is short term inelastic. A sudden change in price doesn't create a sudden shift in demand for labor. Work still has to get done. Plus, contrary to the more cynical people, most businesses are ran by empathetic people and don't like firing people without cause.

however, longer term....employees don't get replaced, leading to smaller footprints jobs shift. And, as we see in the case of self service or automation, work force multipliers get used.

Comment

May be sooner than we think...

In the year 5555
                Your arms hangin' limp at your sides
                Your legs got nothin' to do
                Some machine's doin' that for you
                In the year 6565
                You won't need no husband, won't need no wife
                You'll pick your son, pick your daughter too
                From the bottom of a long glass tube

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

On the contrary, boycott such places. Doesn't matter how much robots save over human employees if human customers won't eat there.
                  No thanks. I prefer interacting with interactive menus and machines instead of entitled twits who think they are owed 15 bucks an hour for punching in an order or flipping burgers and removing fry baskets when the timer tells them to.

Comment

No thanks. I prefer interacting with interactive menus and machines instead of entitled twits who think they are owed 15 bucks an hour for punching in an order or flipping burgers and removing fry baskets when the timer tells them to.
                    It's a middle ground Gond. Reality is if someone can get $15 for flipping burgers they'll take it, regardless of whether or not they think the job actually deserves that much pay. My wife works in a grocery store and is making ~16-17 an hour, and feels stuck because she doesn't WANT to work there anymore (hurting her body), but all the other options in the area are a pay-cut. Not everyone is an "entitled twit" but they ARE taking what they can, and really, if you were in that position, would you complain that they gave you $15, I wouldn't.

Comment

What gender are these robots? What are their pronouns? Have they formed a union yet? Or demanded reparations for their enslaved toaster ancestors?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        What gender are these robots? What are their pronouns? Have they formed a union yet? Or demanded reparations for their enslaved toaster ancestors?
                        I believe the proper pronoun is "it"

Comment

Also I just want to point out that this is what I predicted would happen if burger flippers kept demanding $15/hour.

https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...98#post1065298

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

People dont realize that labor is short term inelastic. A sudden change in price doesn't create a sudden shift in demand for labor. Work still has to get done. Plus, contrary to the more cynical people, most businesses are ran by empathetic people and don't like firing people without cause.

however, longer term....employees don't get replaced, leading to smaller footprints jobs shift. And, as we see in the case of self service or automation, work force multipliers get used.

Mickey-D's will need to hire and train a lot of high paid technicians to service the automated restaurants. The people who will be hurt the most will be the unskilled workers like high school kids who need to get their feet wet with their first job making pocket change to go on dates and buy booze. The sort of people who were demanding $15/hour for asking "Do you want fries with that?"

Comment

And you don't have to worry if they spit in your food. Just watch out for metal shavings.

Comment