Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Civil Rights hero Fred Phelps dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darth Executor
    replied
    Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
    Like it or not, Fred Phelps likely did not go into the civil rights movement for the right reasons.
    It's likely that nobody did.

Leave a comment:

• Catholicity
    replied
    Like it or not, Fred Phelps likely did not go into the civil rights movement for the right reasons. He more likely did it because he wanted to stir up controversy and create trouble. All of his life, Phelps did things that caused problems and attacked the majority in order to cause hatred. His life was centered on attracting attention and causing hatred. The man did not have any good cause in him. He lived to be hated, and lived to hate. Phelp's cause was to make hate and anger popular.
    His entire life showed that.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    The amount of damage he did to Christianity and the amount of support he provided for the gay marriage movement is not insignificant.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    But that isn't DE's point. Is it okay to rewrite a person's history to omit any good they did because of a later evil? Or should we let their history speak for itself?
    Consider Martin Luther... most people acknowledge his later anti-Semitism/support of death penalty for Anabaptists but his legacy remains because he is overwhelmingly known for his role in the Reformation. Here Phelps is overwhelmingly known for his international campaign of making Christianity look stupid. I honestly think that anybody who is trying to portray Phelps as a genuine civil rights hero is more or less trolling.

Leave a comment:

• robrecht
    replied
    Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
    I smell a conspiracy brewing up. ...

... hence my suspicion that he's a part-time progressive mole on top of being a tort troll. ...
    Seriously?

Leave a comment:

• myth
    replied
    Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    But that isn't DE's point. Is it okay to rewrite a person's history to omit any good they did because of a later evil? Or should we let their history speak for itself?
    I tend to favor representations of the truth that are as close to factual as possible. In the past, authority figures have repeatedly done the opposite (omitting bad things people have done and emphasizing the good, thus creating hero figures). I don't like either because it can skew people's perception of reality, if they aren't looking closely enough.

People are a mix of good and bad. I'm not sure why we resist coming to terms with that.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
    Yes, but there's a right, and wrong way to do things. Protesting people's funerals is just crossing the line.

Leave a comment:

• TimelessTheist
    replied
    Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
    Yes, because they fought for a country that protects and enables homosexuals. It all ties back to homosexuality. Once he finished protecting America from racists he took on protecting America from homosexuals as his pet issue.
    Yes, but there's a right, and wrong way to do things. Protesting people's funerals is just crossing the line.

Leave a comment:

• Wally
    replied
    I wasn't aware of the Civil rights work, but it kind of fits in with a generally "contrarian" personality.

Defending blacks in a "Jim Crow" era would have been just as provocative as protesting funerals later.

Seems like he just enjoyed ticking off as many people as he could, no mater what the cause.

Leave a comment:

• Darth Executor
    replied
    Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    His protests were over more than homosexuality. He didn't become a national name until he started going after soldiers.
    Yes, because they fought for a country that protects and enables homosexuals. It all ties back to homosexuality. Once he finished protecting America from racists he took on protecting America from homosexuals as his pet issue.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    His protests were over more than homosexuality. He didn't become a national name until he started going after soldiers.

Leave a comment:

• Darth Executor
    replied
    Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Maybe because whatever role he played in the civil rights movement was insignificant compared to what else he was known for (and willingly sought publicity for, with an army of press releases and whatnot).
    He wasn't insignificant though. And protesting homosexuality is more significant than civil rights? His role in the latter was certainly more pivotal than in the former. If anything his role in the former was disastrous, hence my suspicion that he's a part-time progressive mole on top of being a tort troll. And the point is that they did a run-through of his life, and intentionally purged anything anyone might find good.

^ not journalism

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    Maybe because whatever role he played in the civil rights movement was insignificant compared to what else he was known for (and willingly sought publicity for, with an army of press releases and whatnot).

Leave a comment:

• DesertBerean
    replied
    Oooooh my.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied

Leave a comment: