Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Flipping School Boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flipping School Boards

It's happening across our country.

Largely as a result of COVID, parents and taxpayers have been seeing some troubling trends in education, even more than we had suspected in the past.

In May, 4 of the 7 spots on our school board will be up for grabs - one of the spots (called "places") is vacant, and 3 others are up for re-election.
    We suspect at least one of those 3 will not run for re-election, so we are soliciting candidates we plan to back to take control of the Board.

[INSERT -- I noticed I keep referring to "we", without identifying who "we" are --- a group of pastors, mainly, but also some conservative business leaders and concerned citizens]

It seems to be catching on as a community thing - the current Board is comprised of liberals who apparently rubber stamp anything and everything the superintendent of schools says or does, or anything the teachers unions proscribe. They even have a "Legislative Agenda" that's pretty much a mirror copy of the Legislative Agenda of the Texas Association of School Boards.

I had breakfast this morning with a local business owner who is quite eager to run for one of the "places", and he seems to be a candidate we can support.

We had one man elected to the Board last go-round because he was supposedly a solid conservative, but he appears to have lost his way, and is just like the others.

When one gets elected to the Board, they go to Austin for a week to learn how to be a Board member by TASB (the aforementioned group). Apparently, when they come back from that, they have a totally different view of their role and seem to think their job is to be "part of the system" rather than represent the parents and taxpayers who elected them.

This round, hopefully, will be different. We have already fired "a shot across the bow" at a Board Meeting this past Monday Night, letting them know we are unhappy with they way the have been running the Board, and our intent to run our own candidates in May. One of them who was up for election decided not to run again. Another is seriously reconsidering.

It is our intent to "flip" this Board, and I'll report the progress here. So far, there appears to be FAR more support for this than I had ever even imagined.

ETA - the "places" are simply slots - non political - you don't declare a party, and they are not geographic - you don't have to live in "District 1" to run for that slot - they're simply "places" numbered 1 - 7, but you have to declare which "place" you are attempting to obtain.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Won't be happening in my area. Our school district has gone through like 6 superintendents in 6 years. It's the consequences of living in Democratic controlled city. There's no motivation to do what is right.

Frankly I wish the school board, the superintendents, the district senior staff, and the leadership of the teacher's union could all be arrested for endangering the welfare of a child.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
      Won't be happening in my area. Our school district has gone through like 6 superintendents in 6 years. It's the consequences of living in Democratic controlled city. There's no motivation to do what is right.

Frankly I wish the school board, the superintendents, the district senior staff, and the leadership of the teacher's union could all be arrested for endangering the welfare of a child.
      It all goes back to the Liberal School UNIONS hijacking our public education system, so, maybe yeah.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

By the way, we have already identified 2 very good candidates we would love to support, and both have agreed to run.

At the risk of sounding racist (go for it!) one of the Board members that needs to go is a black police officer - friend of mine, but he's gone along with the liberals, so he will be opposed.
        There is a black pastor who is willing to run against him - and in this day and age, that's important, or it's "the white people" taking over the Board.

Comment

It's also a good idea to screen those you want to replace those kooks in office in order to keep them from being kooks that get replaced next election.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            It's also a good idea to screen those you want to replace those kooks in office in order to keep them from being kooks that get replaced next election.
            Oh, yeah, definitely gonna do that, as well as ask them to sign a pledge. And I have good indications that money will be very generous from multiple sources to make this work.

Comment

Wish I could flip mine. We had a really good candidate. Unfortunately, even the rational Democrats can't win here; the one county commissioner who wanted to do less COVID lockdown lost his seat.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                By the way, we have already identified 2 very good candidates we would love to support, and both have agreed to run.

At the risk of sounding racist (go for it!) one of the Board members that needs to go is a black police officer - friend of mine, but he's gone along with the liberals, so he will be opposed.
                There is a black pastor who is willing to run against him - and in this day and age, that's important, or it's "the white people" taking over the Board.
                Then number of candidates is now a solid 3, with 4 more very good possibilities.
                The three of them (including the black pastor) agreed to sign a pledge of support for the 7 statements on which they will run.

More importantly, all 7 possibilities with whom we are in discussions agree that we need to pick the best 4 of the lot, and back them as a "slate", so we don't have two conservatives competing for the same slot.

We have a meeting today at noon to discuss this further.

Comment