Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Social Emotional Learning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having breakfast in the morning with the Pastor of the Cowboy Church -- they have quite a large congregation and love to get involved in local issues.
    This could prove to be very interesting.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Having breakfast in the morning with the Pastor of the Cowboy Church -- they have quite a large congregation and love to get involved in local issues.
      This could prove to be very interesting.
      Absolutely agreed that things need to change and 100% on board.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Meanwhile, I was just notified that the only "conservative" on the School Board would like to have a talk with us "after the holidays" and before the upcoming election.
        His seat is not up for re-election until 2025, but he was elected to be a "conservative voice", and, as far as we are concerned - has capitulated to the liberals every step of the way.

The aforementioned Pastor seems to think this man is actually quite concerned about how things are run, and might actually change his tune if he had some support in other conservatives coming on board.

Comment

SEL News:

Source: https://www.foxnews.com/media/pennsylvania-district-considers-bringing-feelings-math-curriculum-community-members-balk

Pennsylvania district considers bringing 'feelings' into math curriculum as some community members balk

A Pennsylvania school district may incorporate "feelings" into its math curriculum.

Littlestown Area School District proposed an elementary math curriculum that could integrate social-emotional learning into its curriculum.

"This board needs to decide if they want to make social and emotional learning a part of our math curriculum. I do not believe it belongs in the math classes," said board member Jeanne Ewen at a board meeting on February 13.

"Some of the questions inside the math workbook ask, ‘Are you understanding how other people feel?’ What does this have to do with teaching math?"

According to a global nonprofit called the Committee For Children, social–emotional learning is an educational method that aims to help people develop the self-awareness, self-control and interpersonal skills that are needed for everyday life.

"This is just re-packaged critical race theory is what this is," Board member Nicki Kenney said.

The "Reveal Math" program "explores mathematics through a flexible lesson design," a "Program Overview" reads for kindergartners through fifth-graders.

Furthermore, it reads that the program will "provide access to rigorous instruction with embedded teacher support and scaffolds" which include lesson models and routines, social-emotional learning, language and English learner supports, and fluency.

The book prompts the reader to "support the whole child with social and emotional learning integration."

"Every lesson integrates a social and emotional learning objective along with the math and language objectives of the lesson, addressing the CASEL Social and Emotional Learning competencies throughout each grade level."

The Reviewers Guide Unit 2 section of the textbook prompts students to "Be curious."

"Math is … mindset. How does identifying your feelings and emotions help you?"

It goes on to say that the Social and Emotional Learning objective is introduced in the Be Curious moment with the Math is … mindset prompt. Teachers have instructional support to connect the Social and Emotional focus to the content objective for the day."

The social-emotional learning objective is to enable students to collaborate with peers to complete a task.

LASD board members were determining whether social-emotional learning should be a part of teaching math.

"As an elementary school teacher, you’re also trying to teach social skills," she said, recalling her early education as a kindergartener in the early ’70s. "You were taught social skills as well, back in the day. SEL is not all critical race theory. It’s not."

A parent named Janell Ressler questioned the program during the public comment portion of the meeting.

"Why do students need to incorporate their feelings into solving math problems?" Ressler asked.

"Elementary students in this district need to be taught math in their math class, not equity and social discourse. This has nothing to do with solving math problems," Ressler said.

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            SEL News:

Source: https://www.foxnews.com/media/pennsylvania-district-considers-bringing-feelings-math-curriculum-community-members-balk

Pennsylvania district considers bringing 'feelings' into math curriculum as some community members balk

A Pennsylvania school district may incorporate "feelings" into its math curriculum.

Littlestown Area School District proposed an elementary math curriculum that could integrate social-emotional learning into its curriculum.

"This board needs to decide if they want to make social and emotional learning a part of our math curriculum. I do not believe it belongs in the math classes," said board member Jeanne Ewen at a board meeting on February 13.

"Some of the questions inside the math workbook ask, ‘Are you understanding how other people feel?’ What does this have to do with teaching math?"

According to a global nonprofit called the Committee For Children, social–emotional learning is an educational method that aims to help people develop the self-awareness, self-control and interpersonal skills that are needed for everyday life.

"This is just re-packaged critical race theory is what this is," Board member Nicki Kenney said.

The "Reveal Math" program "explores mathematics through a flexible lesson design," a "Program Overview" reads for kindergartners through fifth-graders.

Furthermore, it reads that the program will "provide access to rigorous instruction with embedded teacher support and scaffolds" which include lesson models and routines, social-emotional learning, language and English learner supports, and fluency.

The book prompts the reader to "support the whole child with social and emotional learning integration."

"Every lesson integrates a social and emotional learning objective along with the math and language objectives of the lesson, addressing the CASEL Social and Emotional Learning competencies throughout each grade level."

The Reviewers Guide Unit 2 section of the textbook prompts students to "Be curious."

It goes on to say that the Social and Emotional Learning objective is introduced in the Be Curious moment with the Math is … mindset prompt. Teachers have instructional support to connect the Social and Emotional focus to the content objective for the day."

The social-emotional learning objective is to enable students to collaborate with peers to complete a task.

LASD board members were determining whether social-emotional learning should be a part of teaching math.

"As an elementary school teacher, you’re also trying to teach social skills," she said, recalling her early education as a kindergartener in the early ’70s. "You were taught social skills as well, back in the day. SEL is not all critical race theory. It’s not."

A parent named Janell Ressler questioned the program during the public comment portion of the meeting.

"Why do students need to incorporate their feelings into solving math problems?" Ressler asked.

"Elementary students in this district need to be taught math in their math class, not equity and social discourse. This has nothing to do with solving math problems," Ressler said.

Our Superintendent of Schools (and I don't trust him further than I can throw a bull by the tail) tries to explain that the Social Emotional Learning references on the District's website were "way back in 2018", and "that was before SEL gained such a bad reputation". Yet, in 2022, they were still promoting SEL on the District's website, and it's still there today!

I would not be surprised if "the Super" doesn't return in the fall, as the School Board held his evaluation in January, and opted not to renew his contract.

Comment

I support bringing feelings into the math curriculum. I wish they did when I was in school, because I would have told them that I "feel" math is boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                I support bringing feelings into the math curriculum. I wish they did when I was in school, because I would have told them that I "feel" math is boring!

We had a really mean old woman as a math teacher who was so close-minded that she would never accept any answers to simple math problems except those supplied by the state.

No matter how much you protested, 2+2 HAD to equal 4, 2x5 HAD to equal 10, and so on. SO frustrating!!!

Comment

SEL News:

I "feel" that da maths be of da debil

So how exactly would this work? If you feel that 2+2=5 will that be right? Will 5 just be 4 that identifies as one number higher?

Do liberals embrace the Barbie philosophy that "Math is Hard" and think it needs to be dumbed down for certain groups? That they can't be expected to do well just like they can't be expected to know how to get an I.D., or as old Joe tells us, incapable of going online without someone showing them how or not bright enough to hire a lawyer or CPA to help with some of the legal and financial details of running a business?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

We had a really mean old woman as a math teacher who was so close-minded that she would never accept any answers to simple math problems except those supplied by the state.

No matter how much you protested, 2+2 HAD to equal 4, 2x5 HAD to equal 10, and so on. SO frustrating!!!
                    Number 8 makes me feel sad. I think it is yellow.

And Number 10 identifies as the letter B.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      I "feel" that da maths be of da debil

So how exactly would this work? If you feel that 2+2=5 will that be right? Will 5 just be 4 that identifies as one number higher?

Do liberals embrace the Barbie philosophy that "Math is Hard" and think it needs to be dumbed down for certain groups? That they can't be expected to do well just like they can't be expected to know how to get an I.D., or as old Joe tells us, incapable of going online without someone showing them how or not bright enough to hire a lawyer or CPA to help with some of the legal and financial details of running a business?
                      I just know that one is the loneliest number that you'll ever do, while two can be as bad as one cause it's the loneliest number since the number one.

That's what I know.

Comment

I just know that one is the loneliest number that you'll ever do, while two can be as bad as one cause it's the loneliest number since the number one.

That's what I know.
                        Do you need a tissue?

Comment

That's what I know.
                          Been keeping warm at night by cuddling with Jake and a couple of his buddies I see.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            Been keeping warm at night by cuddling with Jake and a couple of his buddies I see.
                            Needs to be two more dogs for those really cold nights, eh?

Comment

Do you need a tissue?
                              I'm a real man, I use Bounty paper towels, not sissy tissues.

Comment

Needs to be two more dogs for those really cold nights, eh?
                                Hence, the "a couple of his buddies"

Comment