Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Social Emotional Learning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

Expanding my thought, it is a sign of how health has become the driving force for forcing change. Look at how many things like crime, climate change, etc. that weren't view as health crisis a few years back are now health issues. Crime will be solved if we cure people's mental health issues. Never hear anything about what to do with people who don't want to change. (The old joke: how many psychiatrists does it take to change a lightbulb? Only one but the lightbulb has to want to be changed.) Also, the person having a mental health issue becomes a reason to excuse their crime.

Health has its place but it's only part of life.
    There have been several attempts to move gun control into a health issue over the years.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Makes me think of ABA, or Applied Behavior Analysis, which has its own horrific past.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
        Makes me think of ABA, or Applied Behavior Analysis, which has its own horrific past.
        As long as the Teacher Unions are in charge of public education, there will be this social engineering nonsense over and above actual education.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

As long as the Teacher Unions are in charge of public education, there will be this social engineering nonsense over and above actual education.
          The teachers' teachers are the greater problem.
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
          Scripture before Tradition:
          but that won't prevent others from
          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

The teachers' teachers are the greater problem.
            We're having to be very careful to make sure that teachers understand that we support them - but not the system (the teachers' teachers).
            I've already heard from some of our local teachers that they're very supportive of our efforts (another thread I started about flipping our school board) because they just want to teach the subjects for which they are subject matter experts.
            They do NOT want to be involved in social engineering.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It appears to be the same kind of mindset, just being applied by a different group. They pick a group with certain characteristics they have little to no control over, tell them they are bad because of it, and then try to "train" them to stop.

Comment

Interesting.
                And disturbing as well given the kinds of data collection reported.

Comment

schools shouldn't be teaching any sort of psychological or emotional nonsense. The school's job is to teach science, math, history, writing, etc. Not to psychoanalyze and propagandize children.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    schools shouldn't be teaching any sort of psychological or emotional nonsense. The school's job is to teach science, math, history, writing, etc. Not to psychoanalyze and propagandize children.
                    Teaching the basics of critical thinking would also be a plus. Of course that means being able to think for one's self and not being told what they should think and believe so I doubt it'll ever be taught.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Sparko - I needs yo help, bro!!!!

After our talk at the School Board last Monday, the District website actually REMOVED the link we had posted about SEL.

I'll PM you the website, and the graphic I snatched before they disappeared it.

But, lo and behold, after we called attention to it - they took it down!!!

You're the master of the WayBackMachine, no?

Comment

After our talk at the School Board last Monday, the District website actually REMOVED the link we had posted about SEL.

If you know which website I might be able to check it out. If it's on there it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

If you know which website I might be able to check it out. If it's on there it shouldn't be too hard to find.
                          I'll be glad to send you the link by PM, but it's a graphic, and I'll send you a copy of that, as well.

Comment

I found several documents on their website that mention SEL, sent links to you in PM

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I found several documents on their website that mention SEL, sent links to you in PM
                              Thanks!!! Very much appreciated.

Comment

A lot of this stuff should be taught to kids by their parents in ordinary social situations with other kids BEFORE they get to school. Kids are likely to have behavior issues if they have been deprived of social encounters at an early age.
                                “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                                “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                                “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment