Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Should We Ban TikTok?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    The prime reason you need to be banninated.
    you know how you think you are unbannitable? I actually am.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

you know how you think you are unbannitable? I actually am.
      You really have no idea, do you?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          The difference with TikTok is that it deliberately promotes the weirdest/worst stuff and pushes people toward it. The ChiCom government is using it to destroy American culture. The Chinese version has a completely different dynamic, promoting beautiful music/art, etc.
          No moreso than any other social media site with algorithms.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            The difference with TikTok is that it deliberately promotes the weirdest/worst stuff and pushes people toward it. The ChiCom government is using it to destroy American culture. The Chinese version has a completely different dynamic, promoting beautiful music/art, etc.
            Originally posted by Frank Sinatra
            “My only deep sorrow is the unrelenting insistence of recording and motion picture companies upon purveying the most brutal, ugly, degenerate, vicious form of expression it has been my displeasure to hear—naturally I refer to the bulk of rock ‘n’ roll.

“It fosters almost totally negative and destructive reactions in young people. It smells phony and false. It is sung, played and written for the most part by cretinous goons and by means of its almost imbecilic reiterations and sly, lewd—in plain fact dirty—lyrics, and as I said before, it manages to be the martial music of every sideburned delinquent on the face of the earth.

“This rancid smelling aphrodisiac I deplore. But, in spite of it, the contribution of American music to the world could be said to have one of the healthiest effects of all our contributions.”
            Rock & Roll revealed! It was a Chinese conspiracy!

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Rock & Roll revealed! It was a Chinese conspiracy!
              You should of seen what was written about jazz before that.

Comment

You should of seen what was written about jazz before that.
                And ragtime! I forget where I saw it now, but critics laid into Scott Joplin something fierce. How in the world anyone can hear something sinister in rag music is mindboggling. Tradition doesn't like to budge when confronted.

Comment

So let's say we don't ban tik tok, and in 10 years, the Chinese will have billions of videos of little American girls doing silly dances. What advantage will the Chinese then have?

Comment

And ragtime! I forget where I saw it now, but critics laid into Scott Joplin something fierce. How in the world anyone can hear something sinister in rag music is mindboggling. Tradition doesn't like to budge when confronted.
                    And the waltz! Banned by a pope.

It was reviled in some quarters because the close position of the dancers and the man [*gasp*] touched the body of the woman leading to impure thoughts.

The waltz (“a ballroom dance in ³/₄ time with strong accent on the first beat and a basic pattern of step-step-close”) was imported from Germany and Austria, and became popular in North America and Britain in the early 19th century. The new dance craze hit England before America, and the London Times in 1816 observed its arrival with disapproval: “We remarked with pain that the indecent foreign dance called the Waltz was introduced at the English Court on Friday last.” The newspaper thought that this dance was not worthy of comment, as it was previously “confined to prostitutes and adulteresses”, and with the appropriate degree of Francophobia for the age, they blamed its introduction on “some worthless and ignorant French dancing-master”.

Not to be outdone, moralizers in North America soon after took up the cudgel. An article in the Southern Literary Messenger from 1835 sniffed: “Can our beloved wives and daughters—beloved, because still uncontaminated by foreign corruptions—can they suffer themselves to be continually whirled about in all the giddy, exciting mazes of the licentious waltz, like so many French or Italian Opera girls, without impairing or losing all self-respect?” An anonymous scribe, writing the journal The New World in 1843, made an impassioned plea to parents whose children fell prey to the siren call of this whirling dance: “If you wish to preserve in its freshness their modest innocence…suffer them not to waltz.” The objections to waltzing were due to the fact that it allowed partners an immodest degree of physical contact, and encouraged licentious thoughts in men when they placed their hands on a woman’s body.

The waltz was banned in the 1820s by Pope Leo XII, and American etiquette books cautioned against it (“with regard to the lately introduced German waltz, I cannot speak so favourably”, wrote the author of the 1840 edition of Etiquette for Ladies). Even by the end of the 19th century, the dance still had detractors: a dancing teacher was quoted in The Washington Post in 1882 saying “the waltz is calculated to do more injury to the young than many of the vices that are preached against from the pulpit”.

As is evident to anyone who has ever taken a ballroom dancing class, the waltz was able to make the transition to respectability, and the terpsichorean sanctimony soon focused on other ways of moving one’s body to music. The 20th century in particular has seen repeated attempts to prevent dancers from causing irreparable harm to their souls. The tango was referred to in 1913 by a French Archbishop as a “deep moral danger”, and the same year Kaiser Wilhelm forbid his army officers from dancing it (as well as its evil cousin, the two-step).

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                      I say yes. Look at how many Tik Tok challenges result in personal harm or theft. We had one person here steal 5 cars from the steal a car challenge.

A little more conspiratorial, I think China is using Tik Tok to sow confusion and dissent in the US. I'll bet a lot of these challenges originated from a Chinese CCP member in China. You'll never find the OP. Also, I don't trust the company's statement that they aren't harvesting our data for future use.

I get KingsGambit concern about Christian companies. I think even without this precedent, they'll eventually come after Christian websites under some form of hate speech violation.

Thanks, seer for starting this thread.
                      There was a security expert a couple weeks ago who appeared to know the inside of TikTok, and he said it's actually used for education in China. Highly promoted, designed to help teach math and science.

In the US, however, the Chinese use TikTok to help program their AI ventures. Nuances, jokes, figures of speech --- things they really can't learn from books, but are vital in programming AI to work much more accurately in the US.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And the waltz! Banned by a pope.

It was reviled in some quarters because the close position of the dancers and the man [*gasp*] touched the body of the woman leading to impure thoughts.
                        Wow, that's amazing. This is the reason I refuse to condemn any sort of new music (although very little of it appeals to me). Art is in the eye of the beholder.

Comment

Wow, that's amazing. This is the reason I refuse to condemn any sort of new music (although very little of it appeals to me). Art is in the eye of the beholder.
                          Speaking of which... art has gone through similar phases as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Machinist View Post
                            So let's say we don't ban tik tok, and in 10 years, the Chinese will have billions of videos of little American girls doing silly dances. What advantage will the Chinese then have?
                            We are unwittingly programming and perfecting their AI projects for them.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

We are unwittingly programming and perfecting their AI projects for them.
                              Might be a bit more work but couldn't they do that by monitoring other Social Media?

Comment

Might be a bit more work but couldn't they do that by monitoring other Social Media?
                                This provides the most outlandish aspects - including vulgarity, attitudes, trends, what we're capable of regarding the depths to which we will sink, the most base insults...

Pretty much "the worst of us" all tied in one little filthy bow.

Comment