Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Virginia restaurant refuses service to conservative advocacy group

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Yeah, we went round and round with JimL and (Shuny?) on this - had a long thread about it pre-crash, maybe.
    But I have receipts.

I know of the documented group that likely was the basis of the "Satanic Panic". Weird stuff is out there.
    P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

The have been openly sympathetic towards NAMBLA since at least 1984. The ACLU even defended NAMBLA. The primary thought leaders openly wanted the decriminalisation of sex with minors in France. And yes, there's the admixing of communism.

Edit: Chick Tracts are basically the Saturday morning cartoon versions of what's actually going on.
      The whole "minor attracted persons" forced terminology change is proof how they feel about it and where it's leading. Though, at least of late, it seems like the pedo acceptance sentiment is being subtly pushed more by the trans community (or it seems the two started gaining a rise in popularity at the same time), I guess you could say it's a birds of a feather type of thing.

Comment

I'm shocked.

You left out "unsafe".

No, it would not. The KKK had a history of lynching, Jim. Do you REALLY want to compare the The Family Foundation? REALLY?
        Are you really that unaware of the historical and cultural hostility towards LGBTQ+ people? Especially from conservative leaning folks that identify as Christian. Matthew Shepard comes to mind.

How much time have you spent trying to understand what it is like for them outside their own circles?
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

The whole "minor attracted persons" forced terminology change is proof how they feel about it and where it's leading. Though, at least of late, it seems like the pedo acceptance sentiment is being subtly pushed more by the trans community (or it seems the two started gaining a rise in popularity at the same time), I guess you could say it's a birds of a feather type of thing.
          That's just the tip of the iceberg.
          P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Are you really that unaware of the historical and cultural hostility towards LGBTQ+ people? Especially from conservative leaning folks that identify as Christian. Matthew Shepard comes to mind.

How much time have you spent trying to understand what it is like for them outside their own circles?
            You seriously need to look into Michel Foucault (one of the primary influences on the current movement). In 1977, he along with other well known French intellectuals like Derrida, Sartre, and Beauvoir openly signed a petition against age of consent laws in France. This is not conspiracy. They did this openly. They have relentlessly attack traditional sexual morality for decades. They do not want mere tolerance. They want to destroy. To them, sex is political.
            P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

You only wonder that because you don't understand the sorts of hostility LGBTQ+ people get from groups like the one we are talking about, and their disciples.
              And what has the group in question done to deserve your condemnation? Let's hear it.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Let's see... diversionary condescending attempt to imply I'm stupid....

Check.

Second diversionary question....

Check.

Now, please list the atrocities that show that the group in question has done anything anywhere NEAR as hateful and destructive as the KKK.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

And what has the group in question done to deserve your condemnation? Let's hear it.
                  (I bet you get more diversion and derision, and precious little in actual answer)
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

.... It would be pretty much the same as the local KKK booking a dinner at a restruant whose service staff was mostly african american.
                    The group in question, Jim -- Family Foundation. What have they done that's anywhere NEAR what the KKK has done.

That would be this group, right here, Jim ..... https://www.familyfoundation.org

Comment

The group in question, Jim -- Family Foundation. What have they done that's anywhere NEAR what the KKK has done.

That would be this group, right here, Jim ..... https://www.familyfoundation.org

In Ox's eyes, assuming he never read Romans 1, Paul would fit his category of "folks that identify as Christian" who are hostile to LGBTQ.

Comment

Wow, it's worse than I had thought.... the vicious KKK-like group in question is identified by the owner of the restaurant as "a group of donors"!

Now, that's according to his Facebook account, but elsewhere it's stated that "The restaurant noted that many staff members were LGBTQ or women and that it believed the Family Foundation “seeks to deprive women and LGBTQ+ persons of their basic rights in Virginia.”

Not that they have committed any acts of violence or intimidation, but that they have the gall to exercise their First Amendment rights!

He can't even keep his story straight. Were they a "group of donors" or were they people who “seek to deprive women and LGBTQ+ persons of their basic rights in Virginia.”

KKK my BUTT!

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                          The restaurant has a right to choose who they do and don't serve. I do think that restricting serving a person based on their views(or any other protected trait), and not on the service they want delivered is a dangerous position to take. That can easily lead to very negative consequences if accepted on a larger scale. The way the social pendulum swings means you have a high chance of being on the wrong end of that policy very easily.
                          Legally, the restaurant can't chose who to serve based on race, religion etc. So in this case, I'm guessing they will have to show the criteria for refusing to serve would have to rest outside those boundaries. A reasonable expectation of hostility might be just that ticket, but there would need to be evidence that this particular group has a tendency to be hostile towards women or LGBTQ+ people. And that is where reality and perception get mixed up.

My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Legally, the restaurant can't chose who to serve based on race, religion etc. So in this case, I'm guessing they will have to show the criteria for refusing to serve would have to rest outside those boundaries. A reasonable expectation of hostility might be just that ticket, but there would need to be evidence that this particular group has a tendency to be hostile towards women or LGBTQ+ people. And that is where reality and perception get mixed up.
                            Yet, you jumped right to comparing them with the KKK.

Comment

Well, as usual, you are reading my posts with a lot of negative assumptions about what I'm implying. And most of the time, once you've decided you 'know' my intent was really horrible, you act as if every word I write to redirect you to a correct conclusion is some sort of lie.

So I'm not going to waste any time here trying to correct you. Your mind is made up, and whether it's true or not doesn't really matter to you.

Comment

Yet, you jumped right to comparing them with the KKK.
                                No, I said that from the perspective of the LGBTQ+ person. To them, this group may as well be the KKK. And you have 0 understaning as to why that might be the case. But if you'd walked a mile in their shoes, it might be a little less of a mystery.

Comment