Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Virginia restaurant refuses service to conservative advocacy group

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Do you agree or disagree with his actions?
    Assuming he had a choice, I think it was the wrong decision. Now if they came in there and were ugly to his LGBTQ+ staff, he could have just asked them to leave.

What you clearly don't get is just how hostile some people are to LGBTQ+ people. and a lot of the time, it comes from people that identify themselves as conservative and Christian.

I've seen it. I know how ugly it can get. So there is more to this than just them not wanting to serve this group because they are Christian. They have been hated, told how evil they are, spit on, shunned, despised and so on by people that say they are Christian.

I mean - just look at what you guys write here about them every day.
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 12-07-2022, 05:56 PM.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      Assuming he had a choice, I think it was the wrong decision. Now if they came in there and were ugly to his LGBTQ+ staff, he could have just asked them to leave.

What you clearly don't get is just how hostile some people are to LGBTQ+ people. and a lot of the time, it comes from people that identify themselves as conservative and Christian.

I've seen it. I know how ugly it can get. So there is more to this than just them not wanting to serve this group because they are Christian. They have been hated, told how evil they are, spit on, shunned, despised and so on by people that say they are Christian.

I write about them?

Comment

Bro, that is such utter hogwash and you know it is (or at least I think you do). LQBTQ is given exceptional affirmation in American society, from government, corporations, down to Hollywood and pop culture. It's shoved down the church's throat as it's celebrated in this country. In fact, it's a tiny minority of churches that reject it as the sin it plainly is.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          So the motivation for canceling the reservation was...

However, the restaurant added, “We have always refused service to anyone for making our staff feel uncomfortable and unsafe and this was the driving force behind our decision.”

The restaurant noted that many staff members were LGBTQ or women and that it believed the Family Foundation “seeks to deprive women and LGBTQ+ persons of their basic rights in Virginia.”

Not that the rejected group did anything or said anything, but because the "LGBTQ or women" were a bunch of bigots.

As for the "unsafe" part --- it's based on "thought police" crap.

I'd add that restaurant (or any similar) to my list of "don't bother to book anything there".
          That is not entirely fair on your part. While I agree a pre-emptive act was the wrong approach, the group is at least percieved as having taken stands on issues that are hostile to the two groups mentioned. To expect them not to be uncomfortable serving such a group is unrealistic. It would be pretty much the same as the local KKK booking a dinner at a restruant whose service staff was mostly african american.
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

I wonder? Do you suppose it might have been because the staff there told him that group made them feel uncomfortable and unsafe?
            Okay, Mr. Pedantic, I wonder what the staff's rationalization was for claiming that this group made them feel comfortable and unsafe?
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

The restaurant has a right to choose who they do and don't serve. I do think that restricting serving a person based on their views(or any other protected trait), and not on the service they want delivered is a dangerous position to take. That can easily lead to very negative consequences if accepted on a larger scale. The way the social pendulum swings means you have a high chance of being on the wrong end of that policy very easily.

Comment

Originally posted by CMD View Post
                A business denies service to an LGBTQ group/person:
                The Right: Private businesses should be able to deny service to whomever they want for whatever reason they want and if you don't like it you should just take your business elsewhere and stop whining.
                The Left: What an outrage! Businesses shouldn't be allowed to practice discrimination! They should have to serve everyone equally!

A business denies service to a Christian/conservative group/person:
                The Right: This is an outrage! We are being persecuted and discriminated against unfairly! What an injustice!
                The Left: I am 100% ok with this. In fact, I'd love to see more discrimination of this kind!

Seems like both sides are just filled to the brim with hypocrisy.
                Meanwhile libertarians like myself:
                No one should be forced by the government to enter into a contract of sale with any other person or party.

Comment

That is not entirely fair on your part.
                  I'm shocked.

While I agree a pre-emptive act was the wrong approach, the group is at least percieved as having taken stands on issues that are hostile to the two groups mentioned. To expect them not to be uncomfortable serving such a group is unrealistic.
                  You left out "unsafe".

It would be pretty much the same as the local KKK booking a dinner at a restruant whose service staff was mostly african american.
                  No, it would not. The KKK had a history of lynching, Jim. Do you REALLY want to compare the The Family Foundation? REALLY?
                  Last edited by Cow Poke; 12-07-2022, 07:22 PM. Reason: forgot a "close quote" mark
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

Putting aside the fact that this is undoubtedly a precursor of things to come that will get far worse, the restaurant did them a favor. Can you imagine what they could have potentially done to their food, and Godless liberals are especially amoral and nasty folks.
                    Yup, which is why I would rather know up front.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

I write about them?
                      If you don't absolutely hate Trump with a purple passion, you are one of us.

Comment

Assuming he had a choice,
                        He absolutely did ---

he could have pulled his staff together and told them "we're about to have a group of people who obviously don't share our values, so here's a beautiful opportunity to show how professional and upright we are....."

Instead, he just played into the hands of the very stereotype they seem to want to avoid.

Comment

It just amazes me how the left thinks .... starts off with Gays and Lesbians just want to be accepted and treated fairly.
                          Then they start adding all the other letters, even having initially included NAMBLA, until they realized that was a bridge too far.
                          I wouldn't be surprised if that one comes back.
                          So, beyond "just want to be accepted" to "we want to force YOU to accept us no matter how outlandish we can be".

Then, not just "we wanted to be respected and treated fairly", but when it's OUR turn, we want to be vindictive and judgmental and discriminatory and PETTY.

And, amazingly, there are some Christians who buy this hook, line and sinker, and help sell it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            It just amazes me how the left thinks .... starts off with Gays and Lesbians just want to be accepted and treated fairly.
                            Then they start adding all the other letters, even having initially included NAMBLA, until they realized that was a bridge too far.
                            I wouldn't be surprised if that one comes back.
                            So, beyond "just want to be accepted" to "we want to force YOU to accept us no matter how outlandish we can be".

Then, not just "we wanted to be respected and treated fairly", but when it's OUR turn, we want to be vindictive and judgmental and discriminatory and PETTY.

And, amazingly, there are some Christians who buy this hook, line and sinker, and help sell it.
                            The have been openly sympathetic towards NAMBLA since at least 1984. The ACLU even defended NAMBLA. The primary thought leaders openly wanted the decriminalisation of sex with minors in France. And yes, there's the admixing of communism.

Edit: Chick Tracts are basically the Saturday morning cartoon versions of what's actually going on.
                            Last edited by Diogenes; 12-07-2022, 08:20 PM.
                            P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

The have been openly sympathetic towards NAMBLA since at least 1984. The ACLU even defended NAMBLA. The primary thought leaders openly wanted the decriminalisation of sex with minors in France. And yes, there's the admixing of communism.
                              Yeah, we went round and round with JimL and (Shuny?) on this - had a long thread about it pre-crash, maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Okay, Mr. Pedantic, I wonder what the staff's rationalization was for claiming that this group made them feel comfortable and unsafe?
                                You only wonder that because you don't understand the sorts of hostility LGBTQ+ people get from groups like the one we are talking about, and their disciples.

Comment