Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Virginia restaurant refuses service to conservative advocacy group

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virginia restaurant refuses service to conservative advocacy group

https://www.wric.com/news/local-news...dvocacy-group/

RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — A Virginia-based conservative Christian advocacy group was turned away from a local restaurant just an hour before their reservation last week.

A representative of the Family Foundation said he was frustrated after the group was turned away from Metzger Bar and Butchery last Wednesday. The group claims the refusal had to do with their religious beliefs.

According to Todd Gathje, Director of Government Relations for the Family Foundation, one of the owners of Metzger called a representative of the Family Foundation about an hour before the reservation time, saying that the group would not be dining in the restaurant.

“We’ve had events at restaurants all over the city and never encountered a situation like this,” Gathje said. “It’s no secret that we are very much engaged in the public policy debate on a number of controversial issues. But we never expected that we would be denied service at a restaurant based on our religious values or political beliefs.”

For businesses like restaurants, federal and state laws do not allow discrimination based on protected classes such as race, religion, sex and more, as defined by the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

It’s not yet clear if this incident falls under one of those protected classes.

In a Facebook post the following day, Metzger wrote that the restaurant has “very rarely refused service to anyone who wished to dine with us.”

However, the restaurant added, “We have always refused service to anyone for making our staff feel uncomfortable and unsafe and this was the driving force behind our decision.”

The restaurant noted that many staff members were LGBTQ or women and that it believed the Family Foundation “seeks to deprive women and LGBTQ+ persons of their basic rights in Virginia.”
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    https://www.wric.com/news/local-news...dvocacy-group/

RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — A Virginia-based conservative Christian advocacy group was turned away from a local restaurant just an hour before their reservation last week.

A representative of the Family Foundation said he was frustrated after the group was turned away from Metzger Bar and Butchery last Wednesday. The group claims the refusal had to do with their religious beliefs.

According to Todd Gathje, Director of Government Relations for the Family Foundation, one of the owners of Metzger called a representative of the Family Foundation about an hour before the reservation time, saying that the group would not be dining in the restaurant.

“We’ve had events at restaurants all over the city and never encountered a situation like this,” Gathje said. “It’s no secret that we are very much engaged in the public policy debate on a number of controversial issues. But we never expected that we would be denied service at a restaurant based on our religious values or political beliefs.”

For businesses like restaurants, federal and state laws do not allow discrimination based on protected classes such as race, religion, sex and more, as defined by the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

It’s not yet clear if this incident falls under one of those protected classes.

In a Facebook post the following day, Metzger wrote that the restaurant has “very rarely refused service to anyone who wished to dine with us.”

However, the restaurant added, “We have always refused service to anyone for making our staff feel uncomfortable and unsafe and this was the driving force behind our decision.”

The restaurant noted that many staff members were LGBTQ or women and that it believed the Family Foundation “seeks to deprive women and LGBTQ+ persons of their basic rights in Virginia.”
    When did trying to groom children become a basic right?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      When did trying to groom children become a basic right?
      The funny thing is that I've eaten there several times. I have never been asked if I support the Alphabet Mafia before being allowed to dine...
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I wonder what his basis is for claiming that the group made the "staff feel uncomfortable and unsafe"?
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          I wonder what his basis is for claiming that the group made the "staff feel uncomfortable and unsafe"?
          Their existing.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Matthew 5:10-12

“Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me."
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Yelp has disabled reviews on the restaurant because they got bombed.
              That's what
              - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                Yelp has disabled reviews on the restaurant because they got bombed.
                I thought of you when I saw this story.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Unlike the case in Colorado with the web designer, this is a textbook case of violating the Civil Rights act of 1964. They were denied service for their religious views. And this has nothing to do with coercing views like with the web designer or cake decorator. This is simply eating in a restaurant from a standard menu.

What if the restaurant's employees were "uncomfortable" serving blacks?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    Unlike the case in Colorado with the web designer, this is a textbook case of violating the Civil Rights act of 1964. They were denied service for their religious views. And this has nothing to do with coercing views like with the web designer or cake decorator. This is simply eating in a restaurant from a standard menu.

What if the restaurant's employees were "uncomfortable" serving blacks?
                    Or Christians who are uncomfortable serving Drag Queens?
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

A business denies service to an LGBTQ group/person:
                      The Right: Private businesses should be able to deny service to whomever they want for whatever reason they want and if you don't like it you should just take your business elsewhere and stop whining.
                      The Left: What an outrage! Businesses shouldn't be allowed to practice discrimination! They should have to serve everyone equally!

A business denies service to a Christian/conservative group/person:
                      The Right: This is an outrage! We are being persecuted and discriminated against unfairly! What an injustice!
                      The Left: I am 100% ok with this. In fact, I'd love to see more discrimination of this kind!

Seems like both sides are just filled to the brim with hypocrisy.

Comment

Originally posted by CMD View Post
                        The Right: Private businesses should be able to deny service to whomever they want for whatever reason they want and if you don't like it you should just take your business elsewhere and stop whining.
                        The Left: What an outrage! Businesses shouldn't be allowed to practice discrimination! They should have to serve everyone equally!

The Right: This is an outrage! We are being persecuted and discriminated against unfairly! What an injustice!
                        The Left: I am 100% ok with this. In fact, I'd love to see more discrimination of this kind!

Not really, if you are going to invent these rules everybody needs to play by them. The real solution is to end these laws as they apply to private business. Many on the right would agree, along with Libertarians - no one on the left would...

Comment

Seems like a deliberate over-simplification so you can hand-wave this away.
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I agree with this for the most part. The government isn't allowed to discriminate, but private businesses do it all the time. Just a sign saying "No shoes, no shirt, no service" is possibly discriminatory toward someone who is homeless.

There are very few private businesses that should be compelled to serve anyone and everyone fairly, and those are essential services and any sort of monopoly. Personally, I wouldn't demand to eat at a restaurant that wants me to leave. I'd rather not get a spit-burger.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I agree with this for the most part. The government isn't allowed to discriminate, but private businesses do it all the time. Just a sign saying "No shoes, no shirt, no service" is possibly discriminatory toward someone who is homeless.

There are very few private businesses that should be compelled to serve anyone and everyone fairly, and those are essential services and any sort of monopoly. Personally, I wouldn't demand to eat at a restaurant that wants me to leave. I'd rather not get a spit-burger.
                              I'd rather a business let me know they don't want to serve me than go through the motions of serving me tainted food.

This happened to a local restaurant. An employee refused to serve a police officer at the drive-thru (at the height of the "George Floyd is an Angel" era) so he politely left and went to another restaurant run by a known pro-cop guy. Word got out, and over the next few days, multiple private citizens had very unfortunate vehicle breakdowns in the drive-thru lane, virtually shutting down their drive-thru at peak hours.

It wasn't long before that manager announced he had fired the offending employee, made clear the "pro police" policy, and apologized to the police department and the community.

(That was actually a very turbulent time where our officers were told NOT to frequent local restaurants in uniform, but to have family or others pick up their food)
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment