Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

SHOCKING: Philly gas station hires armed guards to protect against theft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SHOCKING: Philly gas station hires armed guards to protect against theft

How sad is this?

The owner of a gas station in North Philadelphia got so fed up with the prevalence of violent crime in the city that he hired heavily armed security guards to protect his customers and store.

Neil Patel told Fox News that he hired Pennsylvania S.I.T.E. state agents to patrol the site and protect customers after his store was repeatedly ransacked.

"We are tired of this nonsense," he says. "Robbery, drug trafficking, hanging around, gangs. They are forcing us to hire the security, high-level security, state level."

Following the theft of his ATM by a group of vandals, as well has the repeated vandalism of his car, Patel finally felt the need to hire security.

"We wear Kevlar, we are trained, my guards go to training every other week, they're proficient with [their guns] and with their taser, they know the law," said Chief Andre Boyer.

"We're Pennsylvania State Agents and we're not security," he explained. "Basically, what we do is security details when the public calls upon us when the police can't be there."

According to ABC7 News, crime in Philadelphia has risen quite significantly in the last few years, with firearm robberies at gas stations in particular having tripled.

Attorney David Thiruselvam, whose clients are primarily victims of crime, says that he currently has nine people suing gas station after being shot on their premises.

According to Pennsylvania law, owners are responsible for protecting customers from known dangers while on their property.

And, note - these are not "security guards" who "observe and report" - these are fully commissioned police officers authorized to employ deadly force.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    How sad is this?

The owner of a gas station in North Philadelphia got so fed up with the prevalence of violent crime in the city that he hired heavily armed security guards to protect his customers and store.

Neil Patel told Fox News that he hired Pennsylvania S.I.T.E. state agents to patrol the site and protect customers after his store was repeatedly ransacked.

"We are tired of this nonsense," he says. "Robbery, drug trafficking, hanging around, gangs. They are forcing us to hire the security, high-level security, state level."

Following the theft of his ATM by a group of vandals, as well has the repeated vandalism of his car, Patel finally felt the need to hire security.

"We wear Kevlar, we are trained, my guards go to training every other week, they're proficient with [their guns] and with their taser, they know the law," said Chief Andre Boyer.

"We're Pennsylvania State Agents and we're not security," he explained. "Basically, what we do is security details when the public calls upon us when the police can't be there."

According to ABC7 News, crime in Philadelphia has risen quite significantly in the last few years, with firearm robberies at gas stations in particular having tripled.

Attorney David Thiruselvam, whose clients are primarily victims of crime, says that he currently has nine people suing gas station after being shot on their premises.

According to Pennsylvania law, owners are responsible for protecting customers from known dangers while on their property.

And, note - these are not "security guards" who "observe and report" - these are fully commissioned police officers authorized to employ deadly force.
    It's like when I was in Central America and Columbia where you'd run across gas pumps surrounded by chain link fences to keep anyone from stealing gas.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

How sad is this?
      Thanks to leftist's policies this is where we are at...And it is sad...

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

Thanks to leftist's policies this is where we are at...And it is sad...
        These police officers are not shy about blaming their DA and Mayor by name.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I question the economics of it. How much does it cost to employ security guards in regard to his profit margin? Most business owners in high-crime neighborhoods tend to simply move away, leaving empty buildings behind.

If this guy can afford it, great. I'd expect it to be expensive to purchase anything there.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
            I question the economics of it. How much does it cost to employ security guards in regard to his profit margin? Most business owners in high-crime neighborhoods tend to simply move away, leaving empty buildings behind.

If this guy can afford it, great. I'd expect it to be expensive to purchase anything there.
            Stop-n-Robs are notoriously higher priced because you're paying for "convenience". But, yeah... I wondered about the economics of it, too, because I know that hiring an actual police officer for "other job" assignments here is $40/50 per hour minimum.

Comment

Stop-n-Robs are notoriously higher priced because you're paying for "convenience". But, yeah... I wondered about the economics of it, too, because I know that hiring an actual police officer for "other job" assignments here is $40/50 per hour minimum.
              Also they can't keep prices down by buying in bulk like a supermarket over ten times its size can, or selling so much volume that they can afford to just make a couple pennies on the dollar off of each purchase.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Also they can't keep prices down by buying in bulk like a supermarket over ten times its size can, or selling so much volume that they can afford to just make a couple pennies on the dollar off of each purchase.
                One of my friends who used to own and run a stop-n-rob (worst decision of his life) told me that it was all in alcohol sales. The "beer cave" and such.

Comment

One of my friends who used to own and run a stop-n-rob (worst decision of his life) told me that it was all in alcohol sales. The "beer cave" and such.
                  I knew a Korean lady who owned one for several years in Atlanta. She sold the business after she caught the off duty cop she hired helping a buddy steal a case or two of beer.

Comment

It would be shocking if this happened in an upscale community. Not so shocking that it happened in a Democrat hellhole like Philly.
                    Last edited by Mountain Man; 12-07-2022, 11:44 AM.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I knew a Korean lady who owned one for several years in Atlanta. She sold the business after she caught the off duty cop she hired helping a buddy steal a case or two of beer.
                      And for my buddy - that was before this "can't even get people to show up for work" crisis. It was tough back then, and he'd often have to work a shift himself due to no-shows.

Comment

"To Protect and to Serve". In this case, he was serving beer.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

"To Protect and to Serve". In this case, he was serving himself.
                          Fify, n/c.
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Supermarkets in my area tend to have a security guard on duty at least some of the time. The one that didn't shut down a few years ago because they were losing a couple thousand dollars a week from shoplifting.
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              Supermarkets in my area tend to have a security guard on duty at least some of the time. The one that didn't shut down a few years ago because they were losing a couple thousand dollars a week from shoplifting.
                              Was it a security guard or a police officer?

Comment