Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Worst Jim Crow ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

before I do that:

I would say it is obvious that any new voting requirement that can limit access to a poll or the time available to vote has the potential to reduce the number of voters that qualify to vote.

So here is a test for whether a rational discussion is possible of a specific new law: please explain to me why you agree or disagree with that statement.
    By the standard you propose then anything prohibiting children, convicted felons or illegal immigrants from being able to vote qualifies.

Again, keep in mind, Georgia's voting laws were less restrictive than Colorado's which was where MLB moved the All-Star Game to in protest.

The region with the most restrictive voting laws just so happens to be in the northeastern portion of the country. The Blue Mecca. That's is where you should be focusing your concern on.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      By the standard you propose then anything prohibiting children, convicted felons or illegal immigrants from being able to vote qualifies.
      If it is a new law, yes. the discussion is what new laws are inhibiting voting.

Again, keep in mind, Georgia's voting laws were less restrictive than Colorado's which was where MLB moved the All-Star Game to in protest.
      Did colorado enact new laws with the potential to further restrict the set of existing voters? If they truly are more restrictive overall, it might be a bit ironic, but only hypocritical wrt the MLB if they too had made similar changes.

The region with the most restrictive voting laws just so happens to be in the northeastern portion of the country. The Blue Mecca. That's is where you should be focusing your concern on.

No, the concern is with laws that are creating new restrictions that disproportionately affect the poor or minorities, and especially in response to the lies about the 2020 election.

At least wrt this theead.

*I have chosen not to engage on which state is the most restrictive in the absolute sense - that is not the topic.
      Last edited by oxmixmudd; 12-10-2022, 12:22 PM.
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

If it is a new law, yes. the discussion is what new laws are inhibiting voting.

Did colorado enact new laws with the potential to further restrict the set of existing voters? If they truly are more restrictive overall, it might be a bit ironic, but only hypocritical wrt the MLB if they too had made similar changes.

No, the concern is with laws that are creating new restrictions that disproportionately affect the poor or minorities, and especially in response to the lies about the 2020 election.

At least wrt this theead.

*I have chosen not to engage on which state is the most restrictive in the absolute sense - that is not the topic.
        You keep talking about something that you don't seem to be able to produce any examples of. Why do you think that is?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

You keep talking about something that you don't seem to be able to produce any examples of. Why do you think that is?
          nice try. I never intended to talk about the Georgia laws. My only intent was to point out the logical flaw in correlating a win by the Democrats with proof the new laws did not hinder voters. Now if YOU want to talk about the Georgia laws, you need to convince me there is a willingness on your part to cede to truth. Otherwise it's a waste of my time.
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

nice try. I never intended to talk about the Georgia laws. My only intent was to point out the logical flaw in correlating a win by the Democrats with proof the new laws did not hinder voters. Now if YOU want to talk about the Georgia laws, you need to convince me there is a willingness on your part to cede to truth. Otherwise it's a waste of my time.
            I dunno about rogue06, but I'm always willing to cede to truth.

Your move.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

IOW, you are pontificating from a position of ignorance figuring that you just "know" something must be without bothering to see if it is.

Not a good look.

Comment

IOW, you are pontificating from a position of ignorance figuring that you just "know" something must be without bothering to see if it is.

Not a good look.
                Rogue, you are more intelligent that this. My point is based on the the simple reality that an election outcome depends on several variables, only one of which is how hard it is to cast a ballot . You dont have to modify even slightly your belief the laws are not oppressive to acknowledge my point, because my point is not about whether the laws themselves are repressive. My point regards what sort of evidence is required to prove they are not repressive. A win by Warnock says only that they were not repressive enough to stop a determined electorate.
                Last edited by oxmixmudd; 12-11-2022, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  I dunno about rogue06, but I'm always willing to cede to truth.

Your move.
                  Sorry, I need evidence in the form of an aclnowledhememt of the simple statement made earlier.

it is obvious that any new voting requirement that can limit access to a poll or the time available to vote has the potential to reduce the number of voters that qualify to vote

for some reason, this simple truth seems to be a point of stumbling for most posting from the conservative viewpoint in this thread.

Comment

Rogue, you are more intelligent that this. My point is based on the the simple reality that an election outcome depends on several variables, only one of which is how hard it is to cast a ballot . You dont have to modify even slightly your belief the laws are not oppressive to acknowledge my point, because my point is not about whether the laws themselves are repressive. My point regards what sort of evidence is required to prove they are not repressive. A win by Warnock says only that they were not repressive enough to stop a determined electorate.
                    You made a claim that Georgia increased voter restrictions. I asked you to show how they did that. You came back saying you weren't interested in discussing Georgia but since they recently passed some voter reform legislation that it just must have made voting more difficult (quite the opposite in fact).

This is Jorgean level argumentation.

Comment

You made a claim that Georgia increased voter restrictions. I asked you to show how they did that. You came back saying you weren't interested in discussing Georgia but since they recently passed some voter reform legislation that it just must have made voting more difficult (quite the opposite in fact).

This is Jorgean level argumentation.
                      I simply did not make any such claim. They made new laws that introduced new requirements I said - which is true. I then also made reference to the simple fact that new requirements restrict those not meeting those requirements, which is itself a tautology. So why you think I made some claim that needs justification is a mystery to me at this point. Perhaps you could provide a reference to the comment of mine that in your mind represents such a claim?
                      Last edited by oxmixmudd; 12-12-2022, 08:38 AM.

Comment