Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Worst Jim Crow ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst Jim Crow ever

Georgia is SO incompetent with their Jim Crow laws. Instead of suppressing the vote, they had record turn out. And to top it all off, their law didn't even result in the right guy winning.

Worst Jim Crow EVER!

What makes you think the black/brown vote wasn’t suppressed exactly as planned?

From about 18 months ago:

During the Jim Crow era, laws that looked neutral on their face were specifically designed to target Black voters. Today, legislators across the country are considering bills that will have the same effect. Nowhere is this more obvious than in Georgia, where last week, Gov. Brian Kemp signed into law an omnibus bill that targets Black voters with uncanny accuracy.

It’s now a crime in Georgia to give a bottle of water or a snack to people waiting in line to vote. We know that in Georgia and across the country, hours-long lines to vote are more often in Black and brown communities. Mobile voting (polling sites on wheels that travel to different set locations) is also now illegal in Georgia — a practice that has only been used in Fulton County, which has the largest Black population in the state. Ballot drop boxes must now be located inside early voting sites instead of other convenient locations, and many voters who plan to vote by mail must provide a driver’s license or state ID number.

These laws will disproportionately harm Black, brown, and Native American voters. Legislators tried to pass even more onerous laws — like canceling vote by mail but preserving it for the segment of the electorate that tilts white and more conservative — but faced a sustained and effective outcry.

“It’s sick,” said President Biden about the Georgia law and the over 253 bills proposed across the country that would make voting harder.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post

Because reality intervened since then.

Namely record smashing turn outs, including of minorities, in the primaries, then the general election and now the run-off.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

FF still pushing the racist liberal trope that minorities are too dumb to know how to get state IDs.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Because reality intervened since then.

Namely record smashing turn outs, including of minorities, in the primaries, then the general election and now the run-off.
          That only means the people were stirred up enough to put up with the barriers to voting. It doesn't mean the changes didn't make things more difficult for those affected by them, or that the motive for the changes was not suppression.
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
            That only means the people were stirred up enough to put up with the barriers to voting. It doesn't mean the changes didn't make things more difficult for those affected by them, or that the motive for the changes was not suppression.
            Got any proof of that?
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Got any proof of that?
              I'm thinking you might want to remind yourself of the difference between "does not mean" and "does mean". Your question doesn't apply to my post.
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

There were no barriers enacted.

There is a reason that every corporation that so eagerly hopped on the Boycott Georgia bandwagon that perennial loser Stacey Abrams created all quietly slinked off of it in very short order when they looked at what was done rather than what self-promoting demagogues like Abrams claimed and the MSM mindlessly parroted.

Our laws are considerably less restrictive than what the state that the All-Star Game got moved to are. And ironically, the states with the tightest restrictions are those up in the northeastern portion of the country -- the Blue Mecca.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

There were no barriers enacted.

There is a reason that every corporation that so eagerly hopped on the Boycott Georgia bandwagon that perennial loser Stacey Abrams created all quietly slinked off of it in very short order when they looked at what was done rather than what self-promoting demagogues like Abrams claimed and the MSM mindlessly parroted.

Our laws are considerably less restrictive than what the state that the All-Star Game got moved to are. And ironically, the states with the tightest restrictions are those up in the northeastern portion of the country -- the Blue Mecca.
                  Ah, this is a grudge over those that said the new Georgia laws would create hardships for the poor and the minorities - which I don't doubt they did. But those same minorities, as noted in Warnocks speech last night, were pretty motivated to make sure they did not succeed.

Which was a good thing.

Comment

I'm thinking you might want to remind yourself of the difference between "does not mean" and "does mean".
                    Snitty response noted.

Your question doesn't apply to my post.
                    My question DOES apply to your post, dear friend.

You stated an opinion that seems to have no real basis in fact. I'm asking you to back it up.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Ah, this is a grudge over those that said the new Georgia laws would create hardships for the poor and the minorities - which I don't doubt they did. But those same minorities, as noted in Warnocks speech last night, were pretty motivated to make sure they did not succeed.
                      Well, no. Your mind is clearly made up, however.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

"It's racist Warnock didn't win in November."

Can you just admit to that? Biden denied the blackness of Republican black voters because blackness isn't just mere skin color to the left, it's a mindset.

A state ID is required in a plethora of instances, there's no reason to deny voter ID unless the intent is to prevent election integrity (which is the plan).

P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Which was a good thing.
                          That you "don't doubt they did" without a scintilla of verifying data to support that contention is at issue here.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Snitty response noted.

My question DOES apply to your post, dear friend.

You stated an opinion that seems to have no real basis in fact. I'm asking you to back it up.
                            It wasn't an opinion, it was a matter of simple, basic fact.

Perhaps stating it in a slightly different way?

The fact turnout was good does not mean there were no new barriers to voting.

Does that help?

Comment

That you "don't doubt they did" without a scintilla of verifying data to support that contention is at issue here.
                              ? Nothing I've stated as fact depends one scintilla on what my opinion is ...

Comment