Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Attack on power grid in North Carolina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attack on power grid in North Carolina

https://abc11.com/moore-county-power...lism/12523582/

Gunfire at two substations has left nearly 40,000 without power, at least until Monday. The sheriff has declared it's intentional and the FBI is investigating.

Apparently there was a drag show in town that had garnered threats of violence, but as of now, there's no proven tie there.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

Gunfire at two substations has left nearly 40,000 without power, at least until Monday. The sheriff has declared it's intentional and the FBI is investigating.

Apparently there was a drag show in town that had garnered threats of violence, but as of now, there's no proven tie there.
    I remember a similar attack in California like 10 years ago - don't think they ever caught anyone. Then there was the white supremacist crew plotting a number of attacks at substations across the country a little while back:
    https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/three...r-grids-united

Sadly, our entire electric grid around the nation is extremely outdated and vulnerable not just to attacks like these, hacking, and weather related wipe-outs, but even worse basically the whole country's power grids are completely vulnerable to Coronal Mass Ejections like the Carrington Event.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

I remember a similar attack in California like 10 years ago - don't think they ever caught anyone. Then there was the white supremacist crew plotting a number of attacks at substations across the country a little while back:
      https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/three...r-grids-united

Sadly, our entire electric grid around the nation is extremely outdated and vulnerable not just to attacks like these, hacking, and weather related wipe-outs, but even worse basically the whole country's power grids are completely vulnerable to Coronal Mass Ejections like the Carrington Event.
      Is there any place on earth prepared for the next Carrington Event? I can't imagine how an EV would behave during one.

Comment

The Dark Ages are returning...
        "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Days later, they still don't know who they did it.

A local Christian activist did make a Facebook post shortly after suggesting she knew why, but she was visited by investigators and apparently personally cleared. She does apparently approve of what was done, though, and I wonder if she does know who, even if it wasn't her.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

IIRC, something like this happened a couple times when I was a young'un (although on smaller scales). Always turned out to be either incompetent/drunken hunters or teen vandals.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              IIRC, something like this happened a couple times when I was a young'un (although on smaller scales). Always turned out to be either incompetent/drunken hunters or teen vandals.
              Unfortunately this is likely not that. There has been internet chatter for a while now and warrings that these sorts of substations are weak links in the security of our critical infrastructure. It's potentially a very serious problem. The chatter covers both liberal and conservative wackos, but the most dominant chatter is from ... you guessed it.
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

I wonder if there are any radical environmentalists in the area?

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Unfortunately this is likely not that. There has been internet chatter for a while now and warrings that these sorts of substations are weak links in the security of our critical infrastructure. It's potentially a very serious problem. The chatter covers both liberal and conservative wackos, but the most dominant chatter is from ... you guessed it.
                  The shootings back then led to a lot of chatter about weaknesses in our power grid and infrastructure as well and how easy someone could disrupt it.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The shootings back then led to a lot of chatter about weaknesses in our power grid and infrastructure as well and how easy someone could disrupt it.
                    This one was far too clearly planned to be a hunting accident.

Comment

A local Christian activist did make a Facebook post shortly after suggesting she knew why, but she was visited by investigators and apparently personally cleared. She does apparently approve of what was done, though, and I wonder if she does know who, even if it wasn't her.
                      Yikes. 'Christian' activist approves of destroying critical infrastructure that could potentially kill. And do we know what sort of 'Christian' this person is? Or why they would approve of such a thing?
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

This chatter precedes the event and is accompanied by plans on the best way to take down the grid locally and regionally/nationally.

Comment

Interesting, some more info about her:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...tage-rcna60236
                          “The power is out in Moore County and I know why,” Emily Rainey wrote on her Facebook page less than an hour after the electricity failed. Fields has said a suspect or suspects drove up to two Duke Energy power substations after breaching a gate in one station, and opened fire, disabling them and resulting in a blackout that could last through Thursday.

Rainey, a former U.S. Army psychological operations officer, who left the military while under investigation for leading a group of people from North Carolina to the Capitol on Jan 6, 2021, has been a vocal opponent of drag shows in the state.

In a follow-up post, along with a photograph of the Sunrise Theater, she wrote: “God will not be mocked.”
                          https://www.ajc.com/news/army-captai...K2Z6RVAGELXY4/

Army captain resigns after leading group to DC rally that turned deadly

A U.S. Army captain who served as a psychological operations officer has reportedly resigned after leading a group of people from North Carolina to a Washington, D.C., rally that eventually led to hundreds storming the U.S. Capitol where a deadly riot erupted.

Capt. Emily Rainey has resigned from her role after the Army began an investigation into her involvement with last week’s events at the nation’s capital, according to CBS News reports. Insurrectionists took over the House and Senate chambers Wednesday, smashing windows and other property, waving flags in support of President Donald Trump and attacking Capitol police.

Oh, and uh.... here she is posing with Sheriff Ronnie Fields, who is investigating the attack and whose office 'personally cleared' her......: https://twitter.com/lilysnotepad/sta...75499425050625
                          Last edited by Gondwanaland; 12-06-2022, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Interesting, some more info about her:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...tage-rcna60236

https://www.ajc.com/news/army-captai...K2Z6RVAGELXY4/

Oh, and uh.... here she is posing with Sheriff Ronnie Fields, who is investigating the attack and whose office 'personally cleared' her......: https://twitter.com/lilysnotepad/sta...75499425050625
                            Oh boy, it gets curiouser and curiouser.

Here's a tweet thread from a month ago where she went 'undercover' into a drag lunch to get footage, whilst Proud Boys protested outside. This was in the next county over from Moore. After she gets her footage, she comes out and chums it up with and gets a selfie with the protestors. https://twitter.com/stephenehorn/sta...64991425662977

Yeah..... wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being a Proud Boys thing or someone from that group.

Comment

“The power is out in Moore County and I know why,” Emily Rainey wrote on her Facebook page less than an hour after the electricity failed. Fields has said a suspect or suspects drove up to two Duke Energy power substations after breaching a gate in one station, and opened fire, disabling them and resulting in a blackout that could last through Thursday.
                              That sounds like a couple of drunks and a spur of the moment thing. Definitely not a planned operation.

Comment