Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

America's favorite idiot wants to suspend the constitution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    I didn't misquote him cp. I gave the exact quote of his words. A misquote would require at least one word in the quote I used was incorrect
    Wow... this is like you exploding over my joke because you totally missed the disclaimer right there in plain sight.

OK, lemme go find it and I'll be back.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Oh and I see Trumpco tax fraud conviction. Well done indeed!
      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
      “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Trump: A dog bit me. I don't like being bitten by dogs. Dogs like that should be put down.
        Oxmixmudd: Trump just declared that it's open season on dogs.

Trump is an idiot (and wrong). But in context, this wouldn't translate to suspending the constitution in it's entirety. It would be, in essence, installing him in Biden's place because he's the "rightful winner." That wouldn't impact congress, SCOTUS, bill of rights, or any of those other sections specified in the constitution.

So, yes. He's talking about overruling the constitution WRT to the election he lost, but he's NOT talking about suspending it entirely and becoming a dictator.
        Did I add 'in its entirety'? Why can't you guys use my words accurately in your comments. Is it because my words as I wrote them simply don't lend themselves to the message you want to give?

I don't mind being quoted, I don't mind it when people point out where I'm incorrect. But it is entirely dishonest to build a case on what I never said.
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

And as I've pointed out, people making excuses for Trump is the only reason the man is not already in jail.
          No, he's not in jail because he has not been convicted of any crimes. It has nothing to do with anybody making excuses for him.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Wow... this is like you exploding over my joke because you totally missed the disclaimer right there in plain sight.

OK, lemme go find it and I'll be back.
            if I put quotes around it, it would be because i was using what i thought were his exact words. Now if you can find me quoting Trump (his words in quotes, me clearly indicating the quotes were Trumps words) where what is in between those quotes are not his words, you have a point. If you can't, you owe me an apology.
            Last edited by oxmixmudd; 12-06-2022, 04:35 PM.
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Here is where you make the claim that Trump "called for" the suspension of the constitution.
              I have corrected you on this a half dozen times, and you even responded, so you must have totally ignored it....

(I'll even annotate Shuny style)

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
              Yes he did. He explicitly suggested that his fantasy of a stolen election called for the suspension of the constitution so as to allow him to return to power. The denial of the truth of that, thr gaslighting of the meaning of his words, is based on the ignorant and infantile proposition that he must have said the precise words "I call for the suspension of the constitution ..." in order to be guilty in that regard.
              Several other times you stated he "called for" the suspension. But let's look at his actual words...

“A Massive Fraud of this type and magnitude allows for the termination of all rules, regulations, and articles, even those found in the Constitution,” he wrote. “Our great ‘Founders’ did not want, and would not condone, False & Fraudulent Elections!”

So, actually, your misrepresentation was a little worse than I thought - there's quite a bit of difference between what you claim he did, and what he actually said.

Now, if there's another source where he actually called for the suspension of the constitution, I'll happily enjoy a meal of crow for supper.

(by the way, others have made this same point to you in this thread)

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

No, he's not in jail because he has not been convicted of any crimes. It has nothing to do with anybody making excuses for him.
                Technically you are correct.

Comment

if I put quotes around it, it would be because i was using what i thought were his exact words. Now if you can find me quoting Trump (his words in quotes, me clearly indicating the quotes were Trumps words) where what is in between those quotes are not his words, you have a point. If you can't, you owe me an apology.
                  Wow.... you're going to play THAT game?

You MISCHARACTERIZED what he said bigly. I will retract my statement that you "quoted" him.

Oh, and... I apologize that you terribly misrepresented what Trump said.

Comment

Did I add 'in its entirety'? Why can't you guys use my words accurately in your comments. Is it because my words as I wrote them simply don't lend themselves to the message you want to give?

I don't mind being quoted, I don't mind it when people point out where I'm incorrect. But it is entirely dishonest to build a case on what I never said.
                    "Trump wants to suspend the Constitution" does imply in its entirety since the words "the Constitution" refer to the document as a whole. Maybe that's not what you meant, but it is what you said.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Here is where you make the claim that Trump "called for" the suspension of the constitution.
                      I have corrected you on this a half dozen times, and you even responded, so you must have totally ignored it....

(I'll even annotate Shuny style)

Several other times you stated he "called for" the suspension. But let's look at his actual words...

“A Massive Fraud of this type and magnitude allows for the termination of all rules, regulations, and articles, even those found in the Constitution,” he wrote. “Our great ‘Founders’ did not want, and would not condone, False & Fraudulent Elections!”

So, actually, your misrepresentation was a little worse than I thought - there's quite a bit of difference between what you claim he did, and what he actually said.

Now, if there's another source where he actually called for the suspension of the constitution, I'll happily enjoy a meal of crow for supper.

(by the way, others have made this same point to you in this thread)

You are playing games cp. When I quoted Trump, it was always his words as he spoke them. When I gave the meaning of his words, not in quotes, I was not quoting him. I was giving the meaning of his words.

When I explained why called for is a correct implication of his exact words, I did both.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

"Trump wants to suspend the Constitution" does imply in its entirety since the words "the Constitution" refer to the document as a whole. Maybe that's not what you meant, but it is what you said.
                        The phrase Suspending the constitution applies if any part or the whole is being suspended. Any part suspended is "a suspension of the constitution"

Comment

You are playing games cp. When I quoted Trump, it was always his words as he spoke them. When I gave the meaning of his words, not in quotes, I was not quoting him. I was giving the meaning of his words.

When I explained why called for is a correct implication of his exact words, I did both.
                          It's there in black and white, Jim -- you grossly misrepresented what he actually said.

Comment

Well what do you mean by "suspend the constitution?" Because right now you are using overboard words. It's the equivalent of saying gun control advocates want to rewrite the constitution when the want to amend the 2nd amendment

Comment

Wow.... you're going to play THAT game?

You MISCHARACTERIZED what he said bigly. I will retract my statement that you "quoted" him.

Oh, and... I apologize that you terribly misrepresented what Trump said.
                              I didn't misrepresent him in the slightest. Even Mitch McConnell has words to assay about it:

Source: mcconnel

"What I'm saying is it would be pretty hard to be sworn in as to the presidency if you're not willing to uphold the Constitution," McConnell replied. "That's what I said, and I've just said it again."

© Copyright Original Source

republican Rounds also

Source: rounds

• "We should never dishonor that oath," he said. "No one is above the Constitution. Anyone who desires to lead our country must commit to protecting the Constitution. They should not threaten to terminate it."

The statement by Trump, as he said it, unmistakably calls for the suspension of the constitution on his behalf, and it is indefensible.

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Well what do you mean by "suspend the constitution?" Because right now you are using overboard words. It's the equivalent of saying gun control advocates want to rewrite the constitution when the want to amend the 2nd amendment
                                It's not overboard words, it's trumps meaning from his own words:

Source: trump

Comment