Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

America's favorite idiot wants to suspend the constitution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

For that matter, God uses kings who will curse Him with their dying breath, such as Pharaoh.

God can use anybody for anything, and it will not necessarily reflect positively on that person.
    And is wholly and completely unrelated to the point I made in the post cp responded to. God can use anyone to accomplish His purpose, but requires of us that we walk uprightly before him and that we do NOT compromise our devotion to Him and His ways for ANY worldly reward.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      The denial and gaslighting is coming from your side Jim. Just how many times did they get caught editing transcripts and the like (that's gotten to be an Adam Schiff specialty) in order to try to make their case? If that isn't a red flag, then I don't know what is.
      You must be reading from the Tucker Carlson talking points.

I do find it difficult to track all the conservative misinformation and twisting of the truth. There is just so darned much of it to wade through ...but that doesn't negate the possibility that on occasion they make valid points
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        He is currently being called a Christian Nationalist by one poster with TDS.
        well

(1) TDS is a gaslighting term invented by Trump idolaters
        (2)Christian Nationalism ( white Christian Nationalism) is a movement within conservative evangelical circles that is also advocated for by some republican politicians

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

As I've pointed out before, Jesus ministry did not focus on personal sexual morality. And the one time he addressed it, while acknowledging adultery is sin, he told her 'neither do I condemn you'
          Jesus also said to her to sin no more. She was forgiven, but the expectation was that she stop committed adultery, not "Go and have a good time." Repentance includes the a intentional attempt to avoid further sin.

P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

well

(1) TDS is a gaslighting term invented by Trump idolaters
            No, it isn't. It is a continuation of XDS that started during the Bush years, then into the Obama years, and the Trump Years. I try to remain civil with you ox, but it's these wild declarations of yours that really do make you seem obsessive with tunnel vision

Get over Obama derangement syndrome
            Obama Derangement Syndrome
            Charles Krauthammer: Bush Derangement Syndrome is spreading

Comment

Again, denial and gaslightong do not change the facts as I've outlined them. This pretense that unless Trump explicitly told them to go take over the capital that he was not responsible for what happened or did not do everything he could to make it happen short of that sort of overt call to action is Cow manure.
              "Trump explicitly said X, but I know he really mean Y!" is not a fact, it is delusional paranoia.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I'm hoping for something like that.
                I am too, but I'll be a bit surprised if it happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

Jesus also said to her to sin no more. She was forgiven, but the expectation was that she stop committed adultery, not "Go and have a good time." Repentance includes the a intentional attempt to avoid further sin.
                  Which I mentioned, and which is unrelated to the point made, which is that the treatment of the poor is by far an issue addressed much more regularly and much more in depth than personal sexual sin by Jesus himself.

And the one time Jesus addressed it, he exposed the hypocrisy of those wanting to stike her.

Think about it - conservative circles are laser focused on private sexual acts they consider sinful and making sure they are 'dealt with' correctly, while they ignore eggregious abuse by the rich and powerful, even making elaborate excuses for them, they target immigrants, and they refuse to deal with the oppression of the poor and systemic racism, which again affects the poor and oppressed.

And Jesus did the opposite. He rebuked the hypocrisy of the rich and powerful, exposed their corrupt and greedy hearts as they ignored and mistreated the poor, while he spoke not a word about the sinfulness of multiple marriages and cohabitation to the women at the well, and sent the adultresses' accusers home thinking about their own sins, while he himself did not condemn her.
                  Last edited by oxmixmudd; 12-05-2022, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Which I mentioned, and which is unrelated to the point made, which is that the treatment of the poor is by far an issue addressed much more regularly and much more in depth than personal sexual sin by Jesus himself.

And the one time Jesus addressed it, he exposed the hypocrisy of those wanting to stike her.

Think about it - conservative circles are laser focused on private sexual acts they consider sinful and making sure they are 'dealt with' correctly, while they ignore eggregious abuse by the rich and powerful, even making elaborate excuses for them, they target immigrants, and they refuse to deal with the oppression of the poor and systemic racism, which again affects the poor and oppressed.

And Jesus did the opposite. He rebuked the hypocrisy of the rich and powerful, exposed their corrupt and greedy hearts as they ignored and mistreated the poor, while he spoke not a word about the sinfulness of multiple marriages and cohabitation to the women at the well, and sent the adultresses' accusers home thinking about their own sins, while he himself did not condemn her.
                    Honestly, ox, you are twisting scripture out of recognition here when you suggest that Jesus winked at some sins while condemning others. On the contrary, he condemned all sin and commanded repentance.
                    Last edited by Mountain Man; 12-05-2022, 02:12 PM.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

What about Gomer?
                      USMC?

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                        and that is the sort of thinking that gives Trump his power (in general, not necessarily over you) I have many democrat friends, and not one of them was any less than 100% pure in their desire to right the sort of societal wrongs that create poverty and oppression. Many of them made it their lifes work.The only debate I had with them is how to solve the problems.
                        Are any of them biggies in the Democratic Party, Jim? Have any of them become millionaires while sucking the public teat?

I beg to differ. This country' GOP leadership has in continuity tolerated just that in DT - as per this thread, as have the majority of his base.
                        Back to --- if you don't absolutely hate Trump....

Many republican lawmakers post the supreme court Roe v Wade reversal xalled for and imposed laws that made detecting pregnancy in time to meet the allowed term difficult and had no exceptions for rape or incest regardless the age of the victim.
                        I know this may come as a complete shock to you, brother - but even Democrats will post on their websites what they think their base wants to hear.

Should I point out that abortion itself is not an 'actual scripture issue', with the exception of one law in exodus that actually implies that early term fetus are not valued as a person.
                        Either you're for abortion or against it, Jim. You seem to have a really hard time just flat out saying that abortion is wrong.

As I've pointed out before, Jesus ministry did not focus on personal sexual morality.
                        "focus on it"? How bout - if you look on a woman with lust you have already committed adultery in your heart?
                        He took what was already known to be sin and expanded upon it.

And the one time he addressed it, while acknowledging adultery is sin, he told her 'neither do I condemn you'
                        Yeah, you kinda left out the part where He told her not to do it anymore.

And In light of that, how do you justify calling caring for the poor a non scriptural issue when Jesus talked about how we treat the poor, greed, and the like almost the entirety of His earthly ministry?
                        Jesus never pointed to government programs to care for the poor, Jim. Never. Neither did the rest of the NT. My "day job" is 'caring for the poor' through our faith based programs, and all the Democrats have done there is to make the job much harder with a lot more red tape.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Honestly, ox, you are twisting scripture out of recognition here when you suggest that Jesus winked at some sins while condemning others. On the contrary, he condemned all sin and commanded repentance.
                          Actually MM, you are imposing your own prejudice and bias on my words if you think I'm saying Jesus winked at any sin. My words are about the hypocrisy of the conservative reversal of Jesus' priorities, not whether or not certain sexual acts are sinful.

In the few passages we have addressing personal sexual morality by Jesus, Jesus offered grace to those caught in or otherwise not living what was considereed righteous private lives wrt sex. But he offered stern and uncompromising rebuke to those who ignored the poor or otherwise lived in lavish comfort without a thought for their plight and especially for those who heaped hardship on those already struggling.

One can't help but see the obvious implications of that reality against what those calling for righteousness in conservative circles advocate.
                          Last edited by oxmixmudd; 12-05-2022, 02:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

I wonder if democrats will make him a "pied piper" candidate like Hillary did in 2016, or like Democrats did with other "dangers to democracy" in 2022.
                            I think the Democrats have learned their lesson on that score, at least with regard to Trump. But Trump doesn't need any help from the Democrats to be considered the front runner for the GOP nomination.

Unless one or more of the current investigations leads to a conviction (which seems doubtful), the only way another Republican beats him is if all the others get out of the race early. There may be candidates who can beat him one on one, but he has a yuge advantage in a multi-way race.

Comment

You must be reading from the Tucker Carlson talking points.

I do find it difficult to track all the conservative misinformation and twisting of the truth. There is just so darned much of it to wade through ...but that doesn't negate the possibility that on occasion they make valid points
                              Schiff got caught red-handed tampering with evidence so often that he will be removed from some of his committee assignments next year for that flagrant dishonesty*

* historically other Congressmen will turn a blind eye to a colleague's misdeeds and malfeasance until it is impossible to ignore

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Actually MM, you are imposing your own prejudice and bias on my words if you think I'm saying Jesus winked at any sin. My words are about the hypocrisy of the conservative reversal of Jesus' priorities, not whether or not certain sexual acts are sinful.

In the few passages we have addressing personal sexual morality by Jesus, Jesus offered grace to those caught in or otherwise not living what was considereed righteous private lives wrt sex. But he offered stern and uncompromising rebuke to those who ignored the poor or otherwise lived in lavish comfort without a thought for their plight and especially for those who heaped hardship on those already struggling. One can't help but see the obvious implications of that reality.
                                OK, you really need to stop this "half Gospel" utter nonsense ---- “Neither do I. Go and sin no more.” It is necessary for your argument that you totally ignore the condemnation Jesus had for the sexual sin --- He didn't tell her, "you're fine, just keep doing what you're doing".

The woman at the well? He called her out for her sexual sin. That he wasn't on a campaign against sexual sin is beside the point - he clearly condemned it.

Comment