Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

America's favorite idiot wants to suspend the constitution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by alaskazimm View Post

Or Mr Thomas Jefferson's Bible.
    Well, yeah, there ya go!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      And in Clinton's Administration they called it "Clinton Crazies" but later started calling it derangement syndrome: Clinton Derangement Syndrome: Diagnosing the real reason that so many Americans hate Hillary -- that's from August 2016, a couple months before Trump was elected.

And from a month earlier: The Return of Clinton Derangement Syndrome -- that's from before Trump was nominated by the Republicans (although he was the presumptive nominee since May).

And from February 2016, around the time of the first primary: Clinton Derangement Syndrome Is Alive and Well

Okay, enough of this, let's skip a few dozen and jump back to June 2014 -- a year before Trump even announced his candidacy: Here Comes Clinton Derangement Syndrome

And skipping over another one from earlier in 2014, and a few more from 2013... back in November 2009 -- when Trump was a Democrat enamored by Obama and Hillary: Clinton derangement syndrome

I pretty much quit at that point.

Btw, there was a book published in 2009 by Kevin M. Culwell titled "Reagan Derangement Syndrome"

All you are saying is that this sort of gaslighting has a history. While I admit I didnt know the history of such terms, that doesnt change when it was coined or what the pupose of the term is.
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Kinda curious about your sig, Jim....

Don’t waste your time with explanations, people only hear what they want to hear.

Seems kinda odd for a guy who's spending so much time with explanations.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Don't even know where you're going with that - seems more like snit than response.

Both sides say and do whatever it takes to keep their sorry butts in power - I clearly condemn it regardless of party.

OK, seems like a bit of picking of nit -- but, whatever.
          You said you are either for abortion or against it. That simplybisnt true. There different standards for when abortion is acceptable is accurate.

Interesting that "science" is what's driving a lot of formerly pro-abortion people to reconsider, and why so many pregnant women in our clinic change their mind when they see "the science".
          not an argument, just a dig. Specifically, im looking at scripture that assigns a different value to the mother and the unborn child in the instance a pregnacy is ended by a violent blow, and the science of when any sort of conscious individual can be present in the fetus. Im also looking at the entirety of jewish history that assigns the soul to thecriaxh or breath. To the poinr in the jewish religion the fetus is not a living person until thecfirst breath is taken.

So, if you are interested in something beyond sarcasm, Youll have to define what specific criteria you are talking about. You also have not addressed the distinction between a developmental argument and a dogmatic presentation that assumes the soul is present from conception.

Not quite sure what that has to do with BOTH instances where Jesus clearly condemned sexual impurity.
          You keep saying that as if claiming something makes it true. In neither case did jesus condemn anyone involved. But in the case of the woman caught in adultery, he did admonish her to sin 'no more', acknowledging her actions were sin.

You start with an argument from silence - I show you two areas where Jesus most certainly condemned sexual sin, but you ignore those and talk about moon landings.
          I take this more as a dodge than actual confusion. First, there is no record of any language of rebuke towards the woman at the well. You know this, or you'd be quoting the text in rebuke by now. So any assumptions you make that it occurred is the actual argument from silence. My comments are that such speculation is not supported by the evidence.

I repeat, there is no condemnation from Christ in either case. The point being not that the actions in question were not sin, but that Jesus did not choose to deal with those situations from a position of condemnation, but rather of redemption and grace. I take that as instructional when evaluating the hyper focus of conservatives on sexual morality while they act in violation of every principle Christ taught about our responsibility to the poor and oppressed.

It's mostly your Democrat 'saviors' screwing up the system keeping good people from doing God's work. They even shut down our soup kitchen on some technicalities that are totally ignored with regards to numerous local restaurants.
          I have serious doubts this was some sort of persecution of your work. But I suppose it is possible.

So, lemme try to narrow this down a bit, because the 'back and forth' gets a bit tedious.

Abortion.
          You seem not to be troubled at all that the Democrat Party is majorly pro-abortion, in bed in an incestual with Planned Parenthood, and justify it by the standard liberal argument regarding "personhood". The unborn baby is not yet a "person", but you won't be able to tell me when that baby magically transitions between "not a person" and "a person".
          that would be wrong, a conclusion not derived from the text of my posts and worded to be inflammatory. Nothing I've actually written allows you to extrapolate this conclusion.

The simple reality is I am very concerned about many liberal positions on abortion, especially those surrounding late term abortions, and the acceptance or promotion of abortion as birth control. However I am equally concerned by the oppressive and extreme policies that force children to carry pregnancies created by rape and incest to term, or that tie the hands of doctors in cases where the life or health of the mother are threatened by the pregnancy.

Christian Charity.
          You seem to be of a mind that God approves of the liberals doing an incredibly inefficient job of "relief", much of which just enables the poor, and much of which prevents charitable organizations from actually doing what they do best.
          now if I had written something similarly uncharitable that so inaccurately summarized some position of yours you'd have gone ballistic, writing post after post chastising me over how horrible it was I could write such a thing ...

But I get it -- you're a "social gospel" kind of guy, apparently focusing much more on the temporal than the eternal.
          No, you don't get it at all.
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Kinda curious about your sig, Jim....

Don’t waste your time with explanations, people only hear what they want to hear.

Seems kinda odd for a guy who's spending so much time with explanations.
            Mostly just a reminder not to get frustrated when people ignore everything I've said or write inflammatory summaries of my positions that are obviously false ... to anyone actually reading and understanding what I've said ...

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Which I mentioned, and which is unrelated to the point made, which is that the treatment of the poor is by far an issue addressed much more regularly and much more in depth than personal sexual sin by Jesus himself.
              Yet helping the poor isn't to be put on a pedestal above all else.

Matthew 26:11
              For you always have the poor with you; but you do not always have Me.

"Conservatives" give more in charity on average than "liberals", 30% more on average even when the income was about 6% less than average Forced charity is not charity, and government forced charity very often does not help those it is supposed to. So trying to say conservatives "don't care about poor people" doesn't fly. I'm not mentioning this as a way to say "OMG the liberals don't care about the poor!", but to try and point out that there is a way to care about poor people and other oppressed groups other than by trying to pass a law about the issue and have the government poorly manage, and likely just make things worse. In fact up until recently the USA had been giving more in charity than ever over 3 times as much once you account for inflation, and yet we still haven't put an end to poverty or anything close to that.

And the one time Jesus addressed it, he exposed the hypocrisy of those wanting to stike her.
              Incorrect that He only addressed it "one time", and even if it was it would be an argument from silence. He spoke on the issue numerous times that we have in writing, and the issue is enough to divorce over. Not only that, but He mentions that all evil acts come from the same place, the distorted desires in the hearts of mankind.

Matthew 5:32
              but I say to you that everyone who divorces his wife, except for the reason of sexual immorality, makes her commit adultery; and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

Matthew 15:19
              For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murders, acts of adultery, other immoral sexual acts, thefts, false testimonies, and slanderous statements.

Hmm, what do you know those acts come from the exact same source as the other acts you complain about so much. Those acts are not just "private" activities, but evil acts.

Think about it - conservative circles are laser focused on private sexual acts they consider sinful and making sure they are 'dealt with' correctly, while they ignore eggregious abuse by the rich and powerful, even making elaborate excuses for them, they target immigrants, and they refuse to deal with the oppression of the poor and systemic racism, which again affects the poor and oppressed.
              Hold the phone. You are seriously trying to claim that such acts are just "considered sinful", and not explicitly called out as such? I mean, really?

1 Corinthians 6:9
              Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals,

1 Corinthians 6:18
              Flee sexual immorality. Every other sin that a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body.

You see that? The other sins are being considered lesser because they are "outside the body", but sexual sins are sins "against one's own body" and are called out as specifically worse because of it.

Maybe if the left would stop trying to force other people to approve of what they do behind closed doors the issue wouldn't exist anywhere near this degree, but you won't look at the abuses on the left, because they are "your side". Most people who are conservative don't care about a person's sexuality, it only becomes an issue when someone tries to force approval, which is increasingly the case. Not just that but they are not putting more and more LGBT propaganda into kids shows like Blue's Clues. The recent trans propaganda and them trying to put people as young as 10 on puberty blockers(aka Lupron, a drug given to chemically castrate pedophiles), girls as young as 13 being given double mastectomies, the left doesn't have a leg to stand on when it comes to protecting the helpless**.

You are looking at strawman conservatives, and a handful of politicians(conservatives tend to distrust politicians in general including those with an R after their name). The main things many conservatives are concerned with regards to immigration is illegal immigration, and not immigration in general. The Democrats have been using immigrants in rather horrible ways*, but you refuse to see it. They are using them as cheap labor, much cheaper than if they had immigrated legally. They then hand them better welfare benefits than those who fought for our country and were seriously wounded. Due to the failures of our government on the left and the right many veterans end up homeless or commit suicide, which given Canada is further to the left than us it won't be too much longer before the Democrats openly try to convince such people as well as others deemed a "burden to society" to just end their lives. To the Democrat leaders they are nothing more than cheap labor, and cheap votes. However the Hispanic community has been rejecting the left more recently even though they used to be much more solid supporters. Illegal immigration has many of the same problems as various illegal drugs like Marijuana. Having them illegal not only makes them more dangerous, but helps fund various criminal activities putting more people in danger than if it was just done legally.

"Power+prejudice=racism", and other similar concepts don't have real measurable content to them. The former was literally made up so an activist could win arguments. It picked up some steam in use after that, but it never got any verifiable backing, but merely ideological backing. The effects of the USA's racist history does still exist, but that goes in multiple directions. There has been racism against the Irish, racism against Native Americans, racism against Africans, etc. Not only that but the Democrats are often the very first to start throwing out racial slurs against someone who belongs to any of those or other minorities if they disagree with leftist ideology. You are perpetuating the racism by supporting the leftist ideology on this point. Zootopia makes a point so subtle it's flown right by most people watching it. They just assume "oh the carnivores must be black people!", but no. In the story the carnivores are the ones who were oppressing the herbivores in the past, so they would more accurately depict "white people". The lesson is that even an oppressed group can become an oppressor under the right circumstances. Clinging to the past injustices in the way you are doing is just going to breed resentment. We already see this with the rise of the alt-right, which was in itself a reactionary response to leftism and their narrative that "white men are evil".

And Jesus did the opposite. He rebuked the hypocrisy of the rich and powerful, exposed their corrupt and greedy hearts as they ignored and mistreated the poor, while he spoke not a word about the sinfulness of multiple marriages and cohabitation to the women at the well, and sent the adultresses' accusers home thinking about their own sins, while he himself did not condemn her.
              The Democrat politicians are equally in the camp of hypocritical rich people who oppress the poor and others. They have been buddies with the KKK like Hilary Clinton/Joe Biden and Robert Byrd, have been quite racist to people like Thomas Sowell and Candace Owens, and have used their positions of power to enrich themselves at the cost of others like Nancy Pelosi and her husband's insider trading.

Jesus did not condemn her to death, but He still condemned her sins as sins and told her not to sin anymore. That's a huge difference to the picture you try to paint.

*Which is used as an alternative to slave labor, just "legal". They also aren't being protected from various gangs that use them as drug mules, and sell people in human trafficking.

**Even less so if you consider abortion which harms the most helpless of all, children in the womb. And no, most republicans are not fine with "forcing a 12 year old girl to carry a baby after she was raped". There was a recent case in which a girl around 10 was raped and impregnated, and I, on this very forum, said that this is one of the kinds of cases that falls into the exceptions that the vast majority of pro-life people are for. However, we are not fine with infanticide, unlike say Starlight, or abortion up until the moment of birth.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

You have repeatedly, throughout this thread, claimed that Trump is very clever at saying one thing while meaning another.
                That's not what I've said. But you can keep trying to figure out ways to summarize what I did say, and if you ever figure it out, I'll let you know.

Comment

So, let's not read the Bible for what it says, let's hunt for the verses (or lack thereof) to support what we want to believe.
                  Like the old joke:

A man observed a woman sitting on a park bench reading her Bible and drawing lines across the page. "Underlining your favorite verses?" he ask. "No!" she shot back, "I'm crossing out the parts that don't apply to me!"
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

now if I had written something similarly uncharitable that so inaccurately summarized some position of yours you'd have gone ballistic....
                    Oh, the absolutely incredible Iron E.

No, you don't get it at all.
                    I think I do, and we've reached that point where it's probably best to stop.

Comment

That's not what I've said. But you can keep trying to figure out ways to summarize what I did say, and if you ever figure it out, I'll let you know.
                      Lying is unbecoming of you, ox. Here are your own words:

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                      [Trump is] quite clever at saying things so that he gets his message out but leaves room for his enablers to gaslight those speaking out against his obvious intent.
                      And what did I accuse you of? "You have repeatedly, throughout this thread, claimed that Trump is very clever at saying one thing while meaning another."

I suppose you might take issue with my saying that you said this repeatedly, but you did go on to defend your assertion in a number of follow-up posts, so I think the word is justified.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                        A pastor friend of mine, who has long been in support of Trump, posted about this on Facebook. He said that when he joined the military, he took an oath to defend the Constitution and he cannot support Trump here. He's getting hit with comments agreeing that in order to fight back against purported electoral fraud, we may need to dispense with the Constitution
                        Yeah, that's the sad thing. There are so many that will follow Trump no matter how low he goes. That is why I see him as the threat I do. If he said, go destroy the electric grid, we'd see 100's of attacks like the one we just saw in NC. He is a clear and present danger to the nation for as long as he has a voice in our politics.

Comment

Yes, I saw your post before you deleted it, which is why I posted this....

However, you have a good point.
                          Wait--what post did I delete? I haven't deleted any posts for a while. I know I have a tendency to post something, then immediately think "wait, I forgot something, I should edit it" and then shift the post, but that isn't the case for the post in question.

Comment

• Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                            Wait--what post did I delete? I haven't deleted any posts for a while. I know I have a tendency to post something, then immediately think "wait, I forgot something, I should edit it" and then shift the post, but that isn't the case for the post in question.
                            Interesting --- pretty sure I saw that post, responded because of it, but it was no longer there.

Maybe I'm haloositatin.

Comment

Yeah, that's the sad thing. There are so many that will follow Trump no matter how low he goes. That is why I see him as the threat I do. If he said, go destroy the electric grid, we'd see 100's of attacks like the one we just saw in NC. He is a clear and present danger to the nation for as long as he has a voice in our politics.
                              No, Jim - that's just silly. What would anybody accomplish by "destroying the electric grid" just because Trump said something stupid?

Comment

No, Jim - that's just silly. What would anybody accomplish by "destroying the electric grid" just because Trump said something stupid?
                                It would get Trump off the internet.
                                P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment