Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Web designer opposed to gay marriage at center of U.S. Supreme Court clash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post

What is happening immediately is the humiliation of entire groups of people by religious folks. Not Welcome Here signs in shop windows. And the religions claim that THEY are under attack!

1) The services being objected to have nothing to do with the group itself, rather specific instances. I'm this case, it is just a gay wedding. They were not denied service because they were gay per se.

2) A cake and a website are creative in nature, ass opposed to general merchandise.

3) There are other businesses that would preform the work. The complaint is that a Christian objected to it. The lawsuits are intentional harassment to damage the Christian owner.
    P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

This all reads as the proverbial storm in a thimble - does anyone really care? She has acknowledged that her only concern is with gay marriage, nothing else
      The left in America has nothing better to do than force Christians to either be financially destroyed or bend the knee.

[QUOTE]If people want to provoke an incident merely to satisfy some desire to make themselves "victims" it strikes me as rather pathetic.[QUOTE]

it is pathetic. It's also intentional to destroy resistance.

P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

What is happening immediately is the humiliation of entire groups of people by religious folks.
        You do, indeed, have a very active and interesting imagination.

Not Welcome Here signs in shop windows. And the religions claim that THEY are under attack!
        You're not getting it --- they (the poor humiliated victims) often very purposely set these things up so they can be denied, so they can attack the shopkeeper. It's sneaky, underhanded and vindictive.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

The left in America has nothing better to do than force Christians to either be financially destroyed or bend the knee.

it is pathetic. It's also intentional to destroy resistance.

Once again you over-extend and over-generalise. I am quite sure many on "the left in America" have far more important issues that concern them.

Point of information: Idiots and @holes are not unique to the political Right.
          "It ain't necessarily so
          The things that you're liable
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life
          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Once again you over-extend and over-generalise. I am quite sure many on "the left in America" have far more important issues that concern them.
            Agreed, drag/queer/critical (read Marxist) pedagogy is probably more important.

Point of information: Idiots and @holes are not unique to the political Right.
            The right may have idiots, but the left has people who will covertly confuse you child to thinking they are trans and even support trans closets in schools to further distance children from their parents because the left is to busy aborting their own children.

P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Agreed,
              I am glad you agree that you over-extend and over-generalise. Perhaps you could attempt to rectify that fault in future posts.

"It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I am glad you agree that you over-extend and over-generalise. Perhaps you could attempt to rectify that fault in future posts.

I'm glad you stopped the pretence about caring about context since you just took that out of context.
                P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

I'm glad you stopped the pretence about caring about context since you just took that out of context.
                  I regarded the other comments you made to be irrelevant to the topic of your thread.
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I regarded the other comments you made to be irrelevant to the topic of your thread.
                    You introduced the priorities of individuals when you asked "does anyone really care".

The left in America does actually about target Christian businesses and they do care about critical pedagogy. I was merely following your line of commentary.
                    P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

You introduced the priorities of individuals when you asked "does anyone really care".

The left in America does actually about target Christian businesses and they do care about critical pedagogy. I was merely following your line of commentary.
                      My question was rhetorical.
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

You do, indeed, have a very active and interesting imagination.

You're not getting it --- they (the poor humiliated victims) often very purposely set these things up so they can be denied, so they can attack the shopkeeper. It's sneaky, underhanded and vindictive.
                        This case is about giving SCOTUS the chance to overturn anti-discrimination laws that protect LGBTQ+ customers of any business.

There is a very informative discussion with Hila Keren here:

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcas...=1000588574748

When Christian conservatives lost in Masterpiece Cake Shop back in 2018, they regrouped and picked up the trail of breadcrumbs from Justice Clarence Thomas’ dissent that suggested a freedom of speech approach. Next week, the Supreme Court will hear arguments in 303 Creative v Elenis - another case that takes aim at Colorado’s anti discrimination laws. This time, arguments about whether a website designer has the right to advertise that she will not design websites for same-sex weddings, will be focused on freedom of speech. But as this week’s guest, Hila Keren, argues, excluding people from the marketplace and humiliating them in the process is not a matter of free speech, and it is a matter progressives have been largely silent about. Together, Dahlia Lithwick and Professor Keren dig deep into a case that hasn’t been given the attention its potential wide-ranging consequences demand.
                        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                        “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

This case is about giving SCOTUS the chance to overturn anti-discrimination laws that protect LGBTQ+ customers of any business.
                          Sure.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

When I was testifying before the Texas Senate on the Religious Liberty legislation that was being proposed, there was a young homosexual man (identified himself as such) in the lobby where I was waiting, and I was just talking to him before Senate was called to order.

He told me "I'm here to speak in favor of the bill".
                            I was a bit surprised, and said, "in FAVOR?"

He said, "yes, as much as it pains me to admit it, I was with a group of my friends last night, and they were planning on dividing a list of churches that they would visit for the very purpose of trying to schedule a gay wedding, so that they could be rejected, so that they could sue. I tried to tell them how wrong that was, and they brushed me off and continued working their list".

I think this is that.
                            Conservative or traditional Christian bakeries rarely advertise as such, in sharp contrast to Muslims who advertise that their food is halal. So the latter, who are also opposed to gay marriage, and despite being much easier to locate, never seem to be the target of these activists.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Good...

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

There is a very informative discussion with Hila Keren here:

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcas...=1000588574748
                                Per your source:

. But as this week’s guest, Hila Keren, argues, excluding people from the marketplace and humiliating them in the process is not a matter of free speech, and it is a matter progressives have been largely silent about.

Should a LGBTQ2IA+ business owner be forced to create a web site for the WBC?
                                P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment