Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Switzerland plans to BAN EVs from roads & order games consoles turned off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    I'm very pro-green, and usually vote for the Green party in my country (which isn't a wasted vote like it would be in the US because our electoral system means they win seats). I'm very pro both nuclear and large scale hydro projects. So I guess you mean that people who are lobbies who are also green are sometimes against those things. I haven't personally encountered such a person, but I'm sure some exist.
    I don't know about the Green Party in your country, but the Green Party in the United States appears to be staunchly against the usage of nuclear power. Here are a few excerpts from their platform (section III.C):

2. The Green Party calls for the early retirement of nuclear power reactors as soon as possible (in no more than five years), and for a phase-out of other technologies that use or produce nuclear waste. These technologies include non-commercial nuclear reactors, reprocessing facilities, nuclear waste incinerators, food irradiators, and all commercial and military uses of depleted uranium.

10. We oppose public subsidies for nuclear power, including Price-Anderson insurance caps and stranded cost recovery bailouts. We oppose federal loan guarantees to enable the construction of a new generation of nuclear reactors.

12. We oppose the development and use of new nuclear reactors, plutonium (MOX) fuel, nuclear fuel reprocessing, nuclear fusion, uranium enrichment, and the manufacturing of new plutonium pits for a new generation of nuclear weapons.

See:
    https://www.gp.org/ecological_sustainability/#esNuclear

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

IIRC, the Hollyweird classic duel at High Noon or the equivalent actually happened once (Hitchcock v. Tutt) and maybe, possibly a second time.
      That was in my link. In fact, I often eat lunch at a restaurant at the old Springfield Square where the shootout took place. They used to have plaques in the sidewalk showing where each man stood. Yes, it was the classic old west shootout, except it was NOT the "fast draw." They both hesitated and took aim; Hickock balanced his pistol on his left forearm to keep it steady. Nothing fast in that.

Hardly the monthly event in every town and city west of the Mississippi that is depicted.
      I think the biggest fallacy is the "fast draw." That was about as common as quicksand (another Hollywood myth).

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

That was in my link. In fact, I often eat lunch at a restaurant at the old Springfield Square where the shootout took place. They used to have plaques in the sidewalk showing where each man stood. Yes, it was the classic old west shootout, except it was NOT the "fast draw." They both hesitated and took aim; Hickock balanced his pistol on his left forearm to keep it steady. Nothing fast in that.

I think the biggest fallacy is the "fast draw." That was about as common as quicksand (another Hollywood myth).
        There were undoubtedly cases when two men unexpectedly came across one another and who could shoot first could be all the difference. That said, it appears that just like now, a cool head and a steady hand are more important in most encounters.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          There were undoubtedly cases when two men unexpectedly came across one another and who could shoot first could be all the difference. That said, it appears that just like now, a cool head and a steady hand are more important in most encounters.
          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment