Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

China On The Brink Of Revolution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China On The Brink Of Revolution?

We can only hope....

Rare protests are spreading across China. Here’s what you need to know

BeijingCNN —

From Shanghai to Beijing, protests have erupted across China in a rare show of dissent against the ruling Communist Party sparked by anger over the country’s increasingly costly zero-Covid policy.

As numbers swelled at demonstrations in multiple major cities over the weekend, so too have the range of grievances voiced – with some calling for greater democracy and freedom.

Among the thousands of protesters, hundreds have even called for the removal of Chinese leader Xi Jinping, who for nearly three years has overseen a strategy of mass-testing, brute-force lockdowns, enforced quarantine and digital tracking that has come at a devastating human and economic cost.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/28/china...ainer-intl-hnk
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

As long as the military back him Xi is fine.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      As long as the military back him Xi is fine.
      I wonder if they start shooting their people in the streets if the West would impose serious sanctions...
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

I wonder if they start shooting their people in the streets if the West would impose serious sanctions...
        Like the ones after Tiananmen Square?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Sadly given the amount of US debt that China owns, I doubt we would even if the rest of the West did (certainly Australia would not join in at all, they're little more than China puppets these days)

Comment

With "10% for the big guy" in the White House? Not a chance. China Joe is bought and paid for, and Xi has the receipts.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

We can only hope....

Surprising. I would think China would like covid to spread, to downsize its burgeoning population. But they would rather demand obedience to the state first, and then shoot people who don't obey their covid rules. Topsy turvy.

Comment

I wonder if there are posters asking the Chinese if they would object to blackouts during ww2. Apparently that was a talking point rationale floating in more places than just here.

Comment

In response to the question in OP: No.
                  "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Surprising. I would think China would like covid to spread, to downsize its burgeoning population. But they would rather demand obedience to the state first, and then shoot people who don't obey their covid rules. Topsy turvy.
                    I don't think China is out to downsize the population anymore. That was the point of the one child policy, but they got rid of that (in 2015 they upped it to a two child policy, then in 2021 upped it again to three children before getting rid of it entirely soon after). They've experienced the various problems that a declining birth rate causes and actually want people to have more kids now.

Comment