Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Indiana Deputy Shoots Teen During Vocational Class On Law Enforcement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indiana Deputy Shoots Teen During Vocational Class On Law Enforcement

..... while teaching the kids how a 'good cop' deals with a bad guy.

Er, lesson..... learned?

Instead of grabbing his training weapon, he grabbed his service weapon and shot, hitting a student (who has fortunately lived).

19 year sheriff's deputy (plus whatever he did before that) so CP doesn't get to pull his usual trolling of 'oh he wasn't a REAL cop'

Unsure how you mistake a dummy training weapon for an actual service weapon - like, he doesn't even have the 'excuse' of it being a high danger/adrenaline situation like that officer chick tried claiming when she pulled her gun instead of her tazer and killed Daunte Wright. It's only pure luck this one didn't end in a fatality as well.
    https://newschannel20.com/newsletter...on-high-school
    Around 9:30 Thursday morning at South Vermillion High School in Clinton, Indiana, a male student who is a senior at the school was injured after being accidentally shot by an Indiana State Police Deputy.

"There was a Vermillion County Deputy who was instructing a class and in the high school, and during the course of the instruction of a class there was an accidental discharge from his weapon striking one of the students,” said Sergeant Matt Ames, public information officer for the Putnamville Post 53 of the Indiana State Police.

Sergeant Ames said that they are still investigating this situation, and how it happened.

The person teaching the class was Deputy Tim Dispennett who has been with the Vermillion County Sheriff's Department for 19 years. Deputy Dispennett is now on administrative leave as the investigation continues.

According to a statement released by the South Vermillion Community School Corporation, "the incident was in the law enforcement classroom where the instructor was going over drills with the students when he accidentally drew his firearm instead of his training weapon and discharging it toward a student."

"They use dummy guns, plastic guns, in this situation it was a mistake that was made on behalf of the sheriff deputy. Unfortunate incident but they've gone through this training quite frequently so it was just one of those unfortunate incidents,” said Dave Chapman, superintendent of South Vermillion Community School Corporation.

It is still under investigation as to exactly why Deputy Dispennett's service weapon was out during the class instruction time. Indiana State Police said once the investigation is over, it will go to the local prosecutor's office.

"We are talking to every student that was located in the classroom at the time, we will be speaking with the deputy, and we also have crime scene investigators going through the crime scene,” Sergeant Ames said. “Once all that information is put together, that information will be taken and presented to the Vermillion County Prosecutor's office.”

According to the South Vermillion Community School Corporation superintendent and Indiana State Police, the student hit by the gunfire had a superficial wound and has already been released from the hospital. He could be back in school as early as Friday.
    And of course he's on 'administrative leave' - if any of us accidentally shot a kid at a school we'd be in custody unless we were lucky enough to make bail and have the money to pay it

https://allthatsinteresting.com/tim-dispennet

Police Officer Accidentally Shoots Teenager While Teaching High School Students How To Be Good Police Officers

While going over a "bad guy" scenario, 19-year veteran deputy Tim DisPennett accidentally grabbed his service weapon instead of his training gun — and discharged it at a student.

While teaching a law enforcement class at South Vermillion County High School in Clinton, Indiana, the off-duty sheriff’s deputy in charge accidentally fired his service weapon — and shot one of the teens in attendance.

As WTHI reports, the sheriffs deputy was identified as Tim DisPennett, who has been with the force for 19 years.

The shooting happened at around 9:30 in the morning on Thursday, November 17, while DisPennett was telling students what a good cop would do in a “bad guy” scenario.

The point may have been misconstrued, however, as shooting an innocent high school student likely wasn’t a by-the-book response.

Fortunately, paramedics were on the scene in minutes, school officials said, and the student was immediately taken to nearby Terre Haute hospital with non-life-threatening injuries for treatment.

In a letter to parents, the school’s principal said, “This morning at South Vermillion High School, there was an isolated incident in one of our vocational classrooms. The incident was an accidental discharge of a firearm by a law enforcement officer during a drill … Only SVHS is currently on lockdown, due to the abundance of emergency personnel in the building.”

According to The Daily Mail, DisPennett had meant to grab his training weapon, but accidentally grabbed his real — and loaded — firearm instead and discharged it at the student.

“The instructor immediately began first aid,” said superintendent Dave Chapman. “It needs to be clear that this was an accidental shooting and that at no time were the students and staff at the high school in any danger or threat.”

The school remained on lockdown until 11:45 a.m., and DisPennett was later placed on administrative leave, per sheriff’s office protocol. Authorities also interviewed the students who were in the classroom at the time of the shooting, and shortly after began dismissing students as their parents arrived to pick them up.

“We will be talking to every student that was inside of the classroom,” said Sgt. Matt Ames of the Indiana State Police. “We will also be speaking with the deputy that was instructing the class, and we have crime scene investigators that will be going through the classroom taking all the evidence.”

Since the shooting wasn’t fatal, Chapman said the incident “had a positive ending.”

Lol, 'at no time were the students..... in any danger or threat'. Right, pull the other one.

I'm unsure why you would point a dummy training weapon at students, or anyone. The first rule of gum safety is to never point a weapon unless you're wanting to shoot at what you're pointing the gun.
    P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

I imagine a training weapon would have the same weight and feel as a real weapon, so I can understand how the mistake could happen, I just don't understand why it happened. You would think training protocol would require all live weapons to be kept well away from the training area. You would also expect an officer with nearly two decades of experience to instinctively avoid pointing a weapon at anybody he didn't intend to shoot.

It will be interesting to see what the results of the investigation are, but certainly, there should be some sort of disciplinary action, because there's no excuse for this.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post
        I'm unsure why you would point a dummy training weapon at students, or anyone. The first rule of gum safety is to never point a weapon unless you're wanting to shoot at what you're pointing the gun.
        Indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          I imagine a training weapon would have the same weight and feel as a real weapon, so I can understand how the mistake could happen, I just don't understand why it happened. You would think training protocol would require all live weapons to be kept well away from the training area. You would also expect an officer with nearly two decades of experience to instinctively avoid pointing a weapon at anybody he didn't intend to shoot.

It will be interesting to see what the results of the investigation are, but certainly, there should be some sort of disciplinary action, because there's no excuse for this.
          fom the link: "They use dummy guns, plastic guns". So no, it doesn't appear they would have the same weight/feel. And AFAIK such training/dummy guns are usually colored a brilliant blue color 'law enforcement blue'. So definitely, doesn't make any sense how this happened. Especially for a longtime officer in a non-intense situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

fom the link: "They use dummy guns, plastic guns". So no, it doesn't appear they would have the same weight/feel. And AFAIK such training/dummy guns are usually colored a brilliant blue color 'law enforcement blue'. So definitely, doesn't make any sense how this happened. Especially for a longtime officer in a non-intense situation.
            Yes, training weapons are generally made of plastic, but they are often weighted to have the feel of a real weapon, otherwise they would be of limited value as a training tool. So just from feel alone, I can understand how a real weapon could be confused with a training weapon. And while some training weapons are rendered in colors like bright orange, I've found examples online of ones that are in less eye catching colors like dark blue, and even some that are black. I have no idea what color the training weapon was in this case.

I'm not saying this to defend the deputy. I'm just explaining how the accident could have happened. It's the "why" that is the sticking point. Why would the deputy have a live weapon and a training weapon in the same vicinity where one could be mistaken for the other? Definitely a serious lapse of judgement, and it's only luck that it wasn't fatal.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

First rule my father taught me.

The next was, the gun IS ALWAYS loaded. Treat it that way. ALWAYS

Still can't figure out why anyone thought it was a good idea to take a loaded gun into a training scenario. Shades of Alec Baldwin (who, btw, is now suing the film crew for giving him a loaded weapon).

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Yes, training weapons are generally made of plastic, but they are often weighted to have the feel of a real weapon, otherwise they would be of limited value as a training tool. So just from feel alone, I can understand how a real weapon could be confused with a training weapon. And while some training weapons are rendered in colors like bright orange, I've found examples online of ones that are in less eye catching colors like dark blue, and even some that are black. I have no idea what color the training weapon was in this case.

I'm not saying this to defend the deputy. I'm just explaining how the accident could have happened. It's the "why" that is the sticking point. Why would the deputy have a live weapon and a training weapon in the same vicinity where one could be mistaken for the other? Definitely a serious lapse of judgement, and it's only luck that it wasn't fatal.
                He should never have taken a loaded gun into a training situation where firearms would be used.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Right on target!
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Any training we do that is not actually "live fire" must be done with one of those bright red or blue plastic (or rubber) pistols that are so clearly NOT a gun that they can't be mistaken for one.

training pistol.jpeg
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I thought the first rule was never to leave it on your bedpost overnight or it loses its flavor.

Comment

The first rule of gum safety is ...
                        Some opportunities are not to be squandered

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I thought the first rule was never to leave it on your bedpost overnight or it loses its flavor.

P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
                            .....19 year sheriff's deputy (plus whatever he did before that) so CP doesn't get to pull his usual trolling of 'oh he wasn't a REAL cop'...
                            Ah, I missed this little misrepresentation of my comments.
                            A) "usual trolling" is an outright lie
                            2) the "real cop" was clearly in reference to the fact that that "school police chief" was more of a "wannabe chief" than he was a line officer.

It's amazing how my absolutely clear condemnation of that "chief" is twisted into "defending him" when I vilify him as "not a real cop".

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Ah, I missed this little misrepresentation of my comments.
                              A) "usual trolling" is an outright lie
                              2) the "real cop" was clearly in reference to the fact that that "school police chief" was more of a "wannabe chief" than he was a line officer.

It's amazing how my absolutely clear condemnation of that "chief" is twisted into "defending him" when I vilify him as "not a real cop".

Aw, there he goes getting all emotional again.

Comment