Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

If Christian Nationalism Succeeded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Christian Nationalism Succeeded

Since Shunyadragon thinks Christian Nationalism is a credible threat , what would happen if Christians took over the US?

As a rule, all policies must follow the Bible policies must have a citation. The first premise that must be supported is the Biblical legitimacy of Christian Nationalism.

As a caution, anything that requires the Aaronic priesthood, the legitimacy of the Aaronic priesthood must first be established.
    Last edited by Diogenes; 11-23-2022, 11:28 AM.
    P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post
    Since Shunyadragon thinks Christian Nationalism is a credible threat, what would happen if Christians took over the US?

As a rule, all policies must follow the Bible policies must have a citation. The first premise that must be supported is the Biblical legitimacy of Christian Nationalism.

As a caution, anything that requires the Aaronic priesthood, the legitimacy of the Aaronic priesthood must first be established.
    Are you talking about one that would legitimately try to run the government based solely upon precepts provided in the Bible as opposed to all of those who at various times said they support such a plan but who's actions indicated anything but?

IMHBAO, the Bible is not a blueprint for operating a worldly government and trying to use it as one is destined to fail as well as inevitably (and likely far sooner than later) result in misusing Scripture to suits one's purpose/agenda.

That isn't to say that it cannot be a guide and provide inspiration as well as instruction on how to conduct oneself for those in government (and of course everywhere else).

I'll stop here because this is obviously not addressing the O.P. in the manner you wanted.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

If Christians in the US took over, what would it look like? Probably much like William Penn's colony.

Comment

Are we talking about if Christian Nationalist took over the US or one of our multiple Christian groups took over? A US run by say the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America would really be different from one run by Assemblies of God.
        "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
          Are we talking about if Christian Nationalist took over the US or one of our multiple Christian groups took over? A US run by say the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America would really be different from one run by Assemblies of God.
          I'mainly taking a shot at 1) Christian National is either politically or theologically possible and 2) organising society even socially on Christian values is bad.
          P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

The closest we've seen in American history was the Puritans. They banned Christmas in Massachusetts at one point. I imagine we wouldn't see anything like that today given the significant cultural changes that American Christendom has accumulated since then.

American Christians don't broadly agree on all that much on "disputable matters" on a wide scale so I daresay we wouldn't see as many changes as your average Handmaid's Tale enthusiast might imagine. (Marijuana would probably be out but not alcohol. Galatians 5:20 would most likely be cited for marijuana, though probably out of context.)
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

The present Christian Nationalists is popular and the goals target the LGBT community as immoral and illegal, and atheists and agnostic as not worthy of being elected,
              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

I'mainly taking a shot at 1) Christian National is either politically or theologically possible and 2) organising society even socially on Christian values is bad.
                Real brief:

1a) Christian Nationalism is not politically possible. The country is too blue and purple for it. You might see some pockets but that's it.
                1b) I haven't studied Christian Nationalism theology extensively. From what I know, I think it's a seriously flawed theology.
                2) As opposed to what values? Would it be ok to organize a society on Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, Confucius, therapeutic, agnostic, atheistic, etc. values? How do we decide what values are good and what values are bad?

I also expect that if Christian Nationalist did start running the country, I would be imprisoned and probably executed as a heretic.
                Last edited by Thoughtful Monk; 11-23-2022, 01:36 PM. Reason: Added last sentence.
                "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                  The present Christian Nationalists is popular and the goals target the LGBT community as immoral and illegal, and atheists and agnostic as not worthy of being elected,

P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

Real brief:

1a) Christian Nationalism is not politically possible. The country is too blue and purple for it. You might see some pockets but that's it.
                    Not only that, Christianity is way too fragmented in the US to have have a "Christian" government.

1b) I haven't studied Christian Nationalism theology extensively. From what I know, I think it's a seriously flawed theology.
                    Agreed.

2) As opposed to what values? Would it be ok to organize a society on Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, Confucius, therapeutic, agnostic, atheistic, etc. values? How do we decide what values are good and what values are bad?
                    Non-theists don't really have any set values. I specify Christianity as it's comparable to Stoicism, at least to me.

I also expect that if Christian Nationalist did start running the country, I would be imprisoned and probably executed as a heretic.
                    Same here, and for being an agnostic.

P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Are you talking about one that would legitimately try to run the government based solely upon precepts provided in the Bible as opposed to all of those who at various times said they support such a plan but who's actions indicated anything but?

IMHBAO, the Bible is not a blueprint for operating a worldly government and trying to use it as one is destined to fail as well as inevitably (and likely far sooner than later) result in misusing Scripture to suits one's purpose/agenda.

That isn't to say that it cannot be a guide and provide inspiration as well as instruction on how to conduct oneself for those in government (and of course everywhere else).

I'll stop here because this is obviously not addressing the O.P. in the manner you wanted.
                      The Bible isn't even a blueprint for operating a church, but that hasn't stopped people from trying to use it that way.

Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                        The closest we've seen in American history was the Puritans. They banned Christmas in Massachusetts at one point.
                        The old joke is that everything has been banned in Boston at some point.

I imagine we wouldn't see anything like that today given the significant cultural changes that American Christendom has accumulated since then.

American Christians don't broadly agree on all that much on "disputable matters" on a wide scale so I daresay we wouldn't see as many changes as your average Handmaid's Tale enthusiast might imagine. (Marijuana would probably be out but not alcohol. Galatians 5:20 would most likely be cited for marijuana, though probably out of context.)
                        Resulting in Rastafarians doing the same thing by abusing Genesis 1:29 and others.

Btw, FWIU, rum consumption by Puritans was very heavy.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          The Bible isn't even a blueprint for operating a church, but that hasn't stopped people from trying to use it that way.

They came up with the Didache, IIRC, quite early to help -- which might be a clue. Still, folks will understandably look to it for guidance. That only makes sense and they are right to do so. Anything that apparently flies in the face of the Bible regarding such things ought to be suspect. But it isn't any sort of blueprint or textbook for anything other than finding your way to Christ.

Comment

Marijuana would probably be out but not alcohol. Galatians 5:20 would most likely be cited for marijuana, though probably out of context.
                            The grass withers (Isaiah 40:8)

Comment

Explain? This post describes some of the goals of the Christina Nationalists, and the question as to whether they will succeed. It is a very popular movement within the Republican Party and shares many of its goals and ideals.

My post addressed 'how things could be bad for non-Christians if Christian Nationalists took over. As you asked here:

I'mainly taking a shot at 1) Christian National is either politically or theologically possible and 2) organizing society even socially on Christian values is bad.
                              A Christian Nationalist government is indeed possible as described by the goals of those that believe to make the Republican Party a Christian Party.
                              Last edited by shunyadragon; 11-23-2022, 11:31 PM.
                              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment