Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

You don't know Jack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Last I checked, Trump was a yuge PROponent of the vaccines; he helped push through their development, and has been jabbed himself. Perhaps you can point to a change of heart somewhere; I don't exactly keep abreast of Trump's pronouncements.
    Trump was at best a tepid proponent of the vaccines. His support ended when he was booed for promoting vaccination at a rally. In the meantime, his "help" for pushing their development came in the form of egging on antagonism to Fauci, who contradicted his favored narrative that the pandemic was never going to become a crisis, who began immediately organizing the scientific push for development of a vaccine in January 2020 just as it became obvious the covid pandemic begun in China would soon arrive here.

Fauci provided the warp drive used in Operation Warp Speed. TFG, as was too often the case, took over the podium to claim credit for actions he could never have accomplished himself, and in this case, actions his public statements actively discouraged.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

Trump was at best a tepid proponent of the vaccines. His support ended when he was booed for promoting vaccination at a rally.
      Nope he's been quite consistent as a propoment of his vaxx program. He even complained this summer that every time he promotes the vaxx, he gets booed. Sorry, but you're just wrong on this one bud.

Comment

Trump was at best a tepid proponent of the vaccines. His support ended when he was booed for promoting vaccination at a rally.
        Folks this is what happens when you rely on far left sources for your news. You end up claiming things that aren't even remotely matched by reality.

Trump was booed at several rallies for telling people to get vaxxed but continued to promote it. He got booed in Alabama back in the Summer of 2021 and he got booed in Texas when he told Bill O'Reilly he got his booster in December. And a couple days after the Texas incident Trump was still actively promoting the vaccine during an interview with Candace Owens.

FWICT, the last time Trump mentioned getting vaccinated was in January when he called Republicans who hadn't gotten vaccinated "gutless." After that it increasingly became a nonissue as death rates dropped steadily and new treatments were developed.

Here is a video from CNN talking about how he kept getting heat for pushing the vaccine and yet kept promoting it, not that he got booed once and dropped it as you seem to believe for whatever odd reason.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Folks this is what happens when you rely on far left sources for your news. You end up claiming things that aren't even remotely matched by reality.

Trump was booed at several rallies for telling people to get vaxxed but continued to promote it. He got booed in Alabama back in the Summer of 2021 and he got booed in Texas when he told Bill O'Reilly he got his booster in December. And a couple days after the Texas incident Trump was still actively promoting the vaccine during an interview with Candace Owens.

FWICT, the last time Trump mentioned getting vaccinated was in January when he called Republicans who hadn't gotten vaccinated "gutless." After that it increasingly became a nonissue as death rates dropped steadily and new treatments were developed.

Here is a video from CNN talking about how he kept getting heat for pushing the vaccine and yet kept promoting it, not that he got booed once and dropped it as you seem to believe for whatever odd reason.
          He was still bragging about it (and complaining about how people get mad when he says it) in July 2022 as well: https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-...spite-blowback

Comment

I got busy yesterday, so I missed the context on this.

But from what I can see ... the post you're quoting is no longer visible except to the mods. The preacher says that whatever it was, he has retracted it. He admits that whatever it was was a "goof" while oddly claiming that he'd already done so.

But still, a retraction is a retraction, and always appreciated, even when it's muddled and covered up. On balance, then, his more considered reaction is laudable. So I'll make a polite request that you give him the same benefit of the doubt on this one that I'm giving him.

No one's going to mistake me for a supporter of his person, but principles are principles.
            Thanks, Jesse, and yes, I'm fully aware you're not in competition to head my fan club.

I've been a little distracted of late, and haven't been focusing on my posting as much as I should.

I blame THESE little critters...

Calleigh Replies.jpg
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Nah if he wants to use mod powers to 1984 his dumb post and then claim he admitted to a "goof' without actually having admitted to such a thing, I'll stick to what I said.
              You write the apology for me, and I'll sign it. K?

I messed up and fessed up. How would you like it worded?
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

You write the apology for me, and I'll sign it. K?

I messed up and fessed up. How would you like it worded?
                Nah, you admitted you abuse your authority, and then pretended you'd admitted to a goof without actually having admitted to it in any of your prior posts.

Comment

Nah, you admitted you abuse your authority,
                  That would be blatantly false. I meant to delete it like anybody else can delete their own post, but I used the "permanent" (or whatever) by mistake.

and then pretended you'd admitted to a goof without actually having admitted to it in any of your prior posts.
                  So, lemme clear that up --- I deleted the post on purpose, but I accidentally did the "permanent" or whatever.
                  You quoted it before I deleted it, so we see exactly what I said.

I had asked to be removed from the Mod team back at the beginning of the Summer, and that hasn't happened yet.

I don't know what else you want, Gondy - I goofed up, I fessed up.

Except for jokingly blaming it on the Twins --- I admitted my error.

Comment

Nope he's been quite consistent as a propoment of his vaxx program. He even complained this summer that every time he promotes the vaxx, he gets booed. Sorry, but you're just wrong on this one bud.
                    If I'm wrong, and you can help me out by correcting me, there's no need to apologize.

I described TFG's support as tepid. That's an acknowledgment that he supported it. At the same time, there were others whose support was anything but tepid, like Fauci. There were others who maintained their support and answered criticism of the vaccination mandates with facts and figures showing how they saved lives in the face of death threats, like Fauci.

I never expected much from TFG, but at minimum, to show his support for vaccination, he could have supported the guy on the front line promoting their uptake.

Instead, he undercut him.

I think the facts are on my side on this one.

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Your first source shows tepid support during the Delta wave, which proved the most deadly.
                    Like other states home to resistance to vaccinations and other public health measures often stoked by Republican leaders, Alabama is at the mercy of the Delta variant of the coronavirus.

“I believe totally in your freedoms,” Trump said. “I do, you’re free, you got to do what you have to do.

“But I recommend taking the vaccines. I did it, it’s good, take the vaccines.”

Trump was vaccinated while in office, having been hospitalised with Covid-19 last October. He has told supporters they should follow suit.

In Alabama, responding to boos and jeers, he said: “That’s OK. That’s all right. That’s good, you got your freedoms.

“But I happen to take the vaccine. If it doesn’t work, you’ll be the first to know. OK.”

Your second source shows tepid support.
                    Trump, who an adviser has said got his first COVID vaccine while he was still in office after he had been hospitalized with the virus, then told the audience: "If you don't want to take it, you shouldn't be forced to take it. No mandates."

Your third source shows tepid support.
                    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get (Covid), it’s a very minor form. People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine,” he said in an interview with The Daily Wire’s Candace Owens that was released Tuesday.

When Owens began raising doubt about the vaccine efficacy, Trump interjected, saying, “Well, no, the vaccine works.”

“The ones that get very sick and go to the hospital are the ones that don’t take their vaccine. But it’s still their choice, and if you take the vaccine, you are protected,” he said.

His support was always combined with the entirely unnecessary, and likely lethal, hedge that whatever the benefits of the vaccine, not merely to themselves but to the vulnerable around them, that folks should do as they please. That's what I mean by tepid support.

And none of your sources provide any support for your strongest charge against Jack Smith, that he was responsible for the IRS targeting conservatives, which is the actual topic of this thread. Do you plan on supporting that claim, or retracting it.

Or just distancing yourself from the "swift-boating" I predicted in the o/p using irrelevant side issues.

Comment

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. And if you'll permit me some unsolicited advice, wear loose clothes.

Comment

If enthusiastic support means heavy handed, one size fits all, government mandates then give me tepid support any time.
                        We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

Comment

Originally posted by alaskazimm View Post
                          If enthusiastic support means heavy handed, one size fits all, government mandates then give me tepid support any time.
                          I accept my responsibility for bumping this issue with the caveat that it was only to correct information provided in the o/p that new reporting proved inaccurate. You should feel entirely free to respond to the o/p with discussion about Jack Smith.

But it's time to end this derail.

Comment

All that we need to know about Jack Smith is that he is a competent prosecutor. Then we may be confident that the facts and law determine the outcome.
                            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                            “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

I read the article. The difference between us is that you didn't read it critically.

During an October 2010 meeting, the Public Integrity section’s attorneys, of which Smith was the chief of the section, “expressed concern that certain 501(c) organizations [conservative organizations] are actually political committees ‘posing’ as if they are not subject to FEC law,” and thus could be subject to “criminal liability.”

That bolded part was inserted by Breitbart, as if the attorneys were only talking about conservative organizations. No evidence is given that this is the case.
                              It seems your critical reading skills need some work because that message was sent by Smith in reference to a New York Times article about conservative organizations.

Here, I've helpfully highlighted the part that you apparently overlooked:

Indeed, in September 2010 — Smith, the then-chief of the Justice Department’s public integrity section, criminal division — emailed his senior leadership regarding a New York Times article regarding conservative organizations...

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...a-irs-scandal/

Here is a reprint of the New York Times article in question:

https://www.cnbc.com/2010/09/24/hidd...lars-flow.html
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Yep that sort of underhanded crap is why I don't even open Breitbart links anymore. They're dishonest as hell
                                If anybody is being dishonest, it's stoic, although it's also possible that he simply failed at reading comprehension. As noted in the article and in the source documents, Smith was inspired to start his targeting operation in response to a New York Times article about conservative organizations. Again, you would know all of this if simply stopped being willfully ignorant and actually read the article.
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment