Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Colorado Springs LGBT Nightclub Shooting; At Least 5 Dead, 18 Injured

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colorado Springs LGBT Nightclub Shooting; At Least 5 Dead, 18 Injured

Last night at a LGBT Nightclub in Colorado Springs, a 22 year old man, Anderson Lee Aldrich, entered and immediately opened fire. At least 5 have been pronounced dead, and at least 18 have been injured (though not necessarily all of the injured were shot - it sounds like some may have been injured in the stampede of people fleeing the shooting.

I've actually bowled at the King Pin Lanes that shares the parking lot with the nightclub

A 22-year-old man is in police custody after at least five people were shot and killed, and 18 injured, in a mass shooting at a gay club in Colorado Springs late Saturday night.

The first call about the shooting at Club Q came into dispatch three seconds before 11:57 a.m. Saturday, according to Lt. Pamela Castro, a spokesperson for the Colorado Springs Police Department. The first officer was dispatched at 11:57 p.m., she said, and the first officer arrived at the club at midnight.

The suspect, identified as Anderson Lee Aldrich, 22, was taken into custody at 12:02 a.m., according to Castro. Both Club Q, in a post on its Facebook page, as well as Colorado Springs officials, said patrons of the bar fought and subdued the attacker before officers arrived.

Colorado Springs Police Chief Adrian Vasquez said the suspect immediately began shooting upon entering the club and said two “heroic” people fought with him and were. Able to stop him from killing and hurting others.

“We owe them a great debt,” Vasquez said.

Vasquez said investigators found at least two firearms at the scene and that Aldrich used a long rifle in the shooting, though he did not specify the make or model. He said officers were working to obtain several search warrants but said the large and complex scene would be time consuming to comb through.

Multiple victims were taken to three area hospitals by ambulance and police cars, officials said. One of the people who died was pronounced at one of the hospitals. Seven patients were taken to Penrose, 10 were taken to Memorial Central and two were taken to Memorial North, according to Colorado Springs Fire Department Chief Randy Royal.

Castro said some people were injured trying to flee and it was not yet clear Sunday morning how many people had been shot, and said the number of people injured could change.

Several remain in critical condition as of 8:30 a.m., according to two hospital chief medical officers who spoke at an 8 a.m. news conference.

On its Facebook page, Club Q posted called the attacka hate attack and said people at the club subdued the perpetrator: "Club Q is devastated by the senseless attack on our community. Our prayers and thoughts are with all the victims and their families and friends. We thank the quick reactions of heroic customers that subdued the gunman and ended this hate attack.’"

According to its website, the club features a “Drag Diva Drag Show” on Saturday nights, which the club also advertised on its Facebook page, along with a Sunday brunch.

Joshua Thurman said he was at the club when the shooting happened and said he lost a friend in the shooting.

“I was on the dance floor dancing when I heard four to five shots. I thought it was the music, so I kept dancing. Then I heard another set of shots, and then me and a customer ran to the dressing room, got on the ground and locked the doors and called the police immediately. “

He said as they were on the ground, they continued to hear more shots before they heard people yelling that someone had tackled the shooter.

He said the community is devastated that one of the only LGBTQ havens in the city was attacked. He said he's been going to the club since 2010.

“As a Black kid, it’s taboo to be gay. So, coming here, this is one of the first places that I felt accepted to be who I am. It’s supposed to be our safe place. A community shouldn’t have to go through something like this for us to come together,” Thurman said. “This is the only LGBTQIA+ place in the entire city of Colorado Springs. What are we supposed to do? Where are we supposed to go? How are we supposed to feel safe in our environment when it just got shot up? This is our home. This is our space. We come here to enjoy ourselves, and this happens?”

The FBI and U.S. Attorney’s Office is working with local police, sheriff’s deputies, and the 4th Judicial District Attorney’s Office on the investigation. The suspect was treated for injuries after being taken into custody, Castro said.

Investigators said they would treat the investigation as one potentially involving a hate crime but said early Sunday the motive for the shooting was not yet clear. Fourth Judicial District Attorney Michael Allen said the shooting appears to have been carried out by one person but investigators are still looking into whether anyone else was connected. Officials said they could not comment regarding any prior contact with Aldrich.

Thirty-nine Colorado Springs patrol officers responded to the scene, Castro said, as well as numerous first responders from nearby municipalities.

Officials said news of the shooting at the popular Colorado Springs LGBTQ nightclubs was shocking and saddening.

“This club is not a problem. It is a safe haven for members of our community,” Castro said. “So, we are all shocked and saddened to hear this occurred last night.”

In a statement, Colorado Gov. Jared Polis called the shooting at Club Q “horrific, sickening and devastating.”

“My heart breaks for the family and friends of those lost, injured, and traumatized in this horrific shooting. I have spoken with Mayor Suthers and made it clear that every state resource is available to local law enforcement in Colorado Springs,” Polis said. “We are eternally grateful for the brave individuals who blocked the gunman likely saving lives in the process and for the first responders who responded swiftly to this horrific shooting. Colorado stands with our LGTBQ community and everyone impacted by this tragedy as we mourn together.”

Vasquez expressed his condolences to the families of the victims and witnesses and said the department would work tirelessly to ensure there is justice. He said every person has the right to express themselves without fear and without being harmed.

“I’m so terribly saddened and heartbroken,” Vasquez said.

Colorado Springs Mayor John Suthers asked for patience as detectives investigate what he called “a horrible crime.” He said he had spoken with Gov. Polis, who is in quarantine with COVID-19, and with U.S. Sens. Michael Bennet and John Hickenlooper, who all sent condolences of their own and said they were ready to help.

“We are a strong community that has shown resilience in the face of hate and violence in the past and we will do so again,” Suthers said.

Allen said there was no place in the world for members of the LGBTQ community to be maligned and harassed.

“Every person, regardless of who they are, has the right to be secure from fear and harm, and actions to strike fear in communities like this will not be tolerated,” he said.

It appears that earlier this year, the shooter was involved in a homemade bomb threat incident (apparently threatening to use the supposed bomb as well as other weapons, on his own mother) in the Springs.

https://www.koaa.com/news/covering-c...h-neighborhood
    Residents within a quarter-mile of the 6300 block of Pilgrimage Road in the Lorson Ranch neighborhood were evacuated Friday night by the El Paso County Sheriff's Office.

The Sheriff's office said the situation began around 2 p.m. Friday afternoon when they responded to a report of a bomb threat in the 9800 block of Rubicon Dr. The reporting party said her son was threatening to hurt her with a homemade bomb, multiple weapons, and ammunition. She was not in the home at the time when she made the call and was not sure where her son was.

The Sheriff's Office said then at approximately 5:46 PM, negotiators were able to get Aldrich to comply with orders and he walked out of the front door of the home and was arrested.

The Regional Explosives Unit cleared both homes and did not find any explosive devices.

Shortly after 8 p.m., the evacuation was lifted and residents were able to return to their homes.

So glad to hear that the people fought back instead of just cowing and hoping they aren't next. That likely saved a lot of lives.

As for the victims

Concerning his previous arrest for the bomb: Howard Black, spokesman for the 4th Judicial District Attorney’s Office, would not confirm Sunday morning that Aldrich was the same man arrested in June 2021. I suspect it's the same guy but to be clear the police are not confirming that it is.

Also interesting is that a pistol was also recovered at the scene, but it may not have belonged to the shooter who was using a rifle.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The hatred promoted by at least one notorious poster on this website is killing people. Please stop.
      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
      “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
        The hatred promoted by at least one notorious poster on this website is killing people. Please stop.
        Are you pleading with yourself?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Are you pleading with yourself?
          In my experience, the hatred and the bullets fly mostly right to left. I dare say you can find examples going in the other direction.
          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

In my experience, the hatred and the bullets fly mostly right to left. I dare say you can find examples going in the other direction.
            They mostly fly back and forth in drug wars or gang turf wars. Not exactly the right or left, but probably more of the latter based on urban-vs-rural voting habits.

Comment

In my experience,...

As what - a court jester?
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Summer of 2019, during all those "fiery but peaceful" riots night after night would seem to top all the examples from the right combined in the past decade or two.

It was often the armed insurrection that the left pretends J6 was.

ETA: Should read Summer of 2020.
                Last edited by rogue06; 11-21-2022, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

They mostly fly back and forth in drug wars or gang turf wars. Not exactly the right or left, but probably more of the latter based on urban-vs-rural voting habits.
                  And, apparently, Black Lives don't Matter in Chicago or some of the other crime-ridden cities run by the left.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

David Dorn would beg to differ were he still alive...
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

David Dorn would beg to differ were he still alive...
                      Same with Secoriea Turner.

Comment

So glad to hear that the people fought back instead of just cowing and hoping they aren't next. That likely saved a lot of lives.

As for the victims

Concerning his previous arrest for the bomb: Howard Black, spokesman for the 4th Judicial District Attorney’s Office, would not confirm Sunday morning that Aldrich was the same man arrested in June 2021. I suspect it's the same guy but to be clear the police are not confirming that it is.

Also interesting is that a pistol was also recovered at the scene, but it may not have belonged to the shooter who was using a rifle.
                        Charged with 5 counts of murder and 5 hate crimes and armed with a "AR-15-style semi-automatic weapon"

Gay bar shooting suspect faces murder, hate crime charges

The man suspected of opening fire at a gay nightclub in Colorado Springs was being held on murder and hate crimes charges Monday, two days after the attack that killed five people and left 17 others with gunshot wounds.

Online court records showed that 22-year-old Anderson Lee Aldrich faced five murder charges and five charges of committing a bias-motivated crime causing bodily injury in Saturday night’s attack at Club Q. He remained hospitalized with unspecified injuries, police said.

The charges were preliminary, and prosecutors had not filed them in court. The hate crime charges would require proving that the gunman was motivated by bias, such as against the victims’ actual or perceived sexual orientation or gender identity.

The attack was halted when a patron grabbed a handgun from Aldrich, hit him with it and pinned him down until police arrived minutes later.

Comment

Oof

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b2229836.html

Colorado shooting suspect is grandson of GOP lawmaker who celebrated January 6 Capitol riot

The 22-year-old man accused of murdering five and wounding dozens more in a mass shooting in a Colorado gay nightclub is the grandson of a GOP lawmaker who celebrated the January 6 attack on the US Capitol.

Suspected gunman Anderson Lee Aldrich, 22, allegedly opened fire inside Club Q in Colorado Springs just before midnight on Saturday night.

Bartenders Daniel Aston and Derrick Rump as well as patron Kelly Loving were among the five victims killed in the attack.

Another 25 people were injured, including 19 who suffered gunshot wounds.

The mass shooting came to an end thanks to the bravery of at least one clubgoer, who tackled the gunman to the ground and detained him until law enforcement arrived on the scene.

Investigators named the suspect as Mr Aldrich, a man who previously fell on police radar last year for allegedly making a bomb threat.

The 22-year-old suspect is also the grandson of Republican California state assembly member Randy Voepel.

Mr Voepel, a Donald Trump supporter whose social media pages show him sporting a MAGA hat, previously courted controversy with his response to the Capitol riot.

Three days after the insurrection that left five people dead and dozens of police officers injured, the GOP lawmaker likened the rioters to American Revolutionaries.

“This is Lexington and Concord. First shots fired against tyranny,” he said in an interview with the San Diego Union-Tribune. “Tyranny will follow in the aftermath of the Biden swear-in on January 20th.”

His comments prompted calls for him to be expelled from the assembly. Mr Voepel later walked back his comments, saying that he “condemned violence and lawlessness”, reported the Tribune.

Mr Voepel, who serves as the vice chair of the Military and Veterans Affairs, Aging and Long-Term Care, and Public Employment and Retirement committees, ran for reelection this year but lost out in the Republican primary. Prior to becoming an assembly member, Mr Voepel was the mayor of Santee, California, from 2000 to 2016.

Notably, Mr Voepel was in office at the time of the Santana High School shooting, which left two victims dead and 13 more injured.

Public records and social media posts seen by The Independent reveal that Aldrich’s mother, Laura Voepel, is the daughter of the state lawmaker.

In some social media posts, Ms Voepel refers to Mr Vopel as “Dad” and “my father”and at one point she tells him to “keep up the good work”.

Other Facebook posts by Ms Voepel describe her buying a military camouflage suit for her son’s 15th birthday; asking for recommendations for a boxing coach; seeking a trauma and PTSD therapist seemingly for her son; and, after the 2021 bomb threat incident involving her son, asking if anyone knew a “fantastic defence attorney” who could help the family out.

On Mr Voepel’s Twitter bio, he mentions his role as a grandparent.

“California Assemblymember. Representing the 71st Assembly District in San Diego & Riverside Counties. Husband. Grandfather. Veteran,” it reads.

A family member confirmed to The Denver Gazette that Mr Voepel is the grandfather of suspected gunman Mr Aldrich.

Neither Mr Voepel nor Ms Voepel have publicly commented on Saturday night’s mass shooting and the outgoing lawmaker’s office did not immediately respond to a request for comment from The Independent.

The link between the Republican lawmaker and the suspected mass shooter came to light as questions are mounting around how Mr Aldrich managed to get his hands on a firearm.

In June 2021, Mr Aldrich was arrested for allegedly making a bomb threat against his mother.

Ms Voepel told police that he had threatened to harm her with “a homemade bomb, multiple weapons, and ammunition”, the El Paso County Sheriff’s Office said at the time. The incident led to a mass evacuation of the area for three hours.

No formal charges were filed and the case was later sealed.

Police confirmed in a press conference on Sunday that the suspect’s previous “interactions with law enforcement” are part of the investigation into the shooting.

The incident raises questions about why Colorado’s red flag law didn’t stop Mr Aldrich from accessing a gun before Saturday’s attack.

No motive has been given for the mass shooting. But, it comes at a time when the Republican party has been pushing anti-LGBT+ sentiment across the country and as gun violence continues to soar across the country.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
                            Oof

No motive has been given for the mass shooting. But, it comes at a time when the Republican party has been pushing anti-LGBT+ sentiment across the country and as gun violence continues to soar across the country.
                            Trying to keep adult men from twerking in front of young children is no more anti-LGBT++++ than trying to keep drunk drivers off the road is anti-car or driver.

Although it seems like the LGBT+++ community is branding itself when they are willing to die on the hill defending that sort of activity.

Comment

Trying to keep adult men from twerking in front of young children is no more anti-LGBT++++ than trying to keep drunk drivers off the road is anti-car or driver.

Although it seems like the LGBT+++ community is branding itself when they are willing to die on the hill defending that sort of activity.
                              Like keeping gay porn out of our schools is a bad thing...
                              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment