Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

And now for something POSITIVE....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And now for something POSITIVE....

So, I'm in Corpus Christi for the Annual Southern Baptists of Texas Convention, and have had occasion to visit a number of restaurants, a gas station, Walmart, Walgreens, and - of course - the Hotel staff at the Omni, the AmericanBank Convention center...

Almost immediately I noticed something weird --- people GREET you when you walk into an establishment.
    They are often SMILING.
    When they interact with you, they make EYE CONTACT....
    They seem genuinely interested that you have a good experience in their establishment.

And it's even worse --- their "politeness" doesn't seem to be "they taught me this when they hired me", but more of "this is who I am".

Now, forgive me for being racist here, but the majority of those with whom I have interacted with are Hispanic.

Even the Burger King across from the Hotel treated me like I was at Chick-Fil-A, rather than BK.

This just ain't right!!!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    So, I'm in Corpus Christi for the Annual Southern Baptists of Texas Convention, and have had occasion to visit a number of restaurants, a gas station, Walmart, Walgreens, and - of course - the Hotel staff at the Omni, the AmericanBank Convention center...

Almost immediately I noticed something weird --- people GREET you when you walk into an establishment.
    They are often SMILING.
    When they interact with you, they make EYE CONTACT....
    They seem genuinely interested that you have a good experience in their establishment.

And it's even worse --- their "politeness" doesn't seem to be "they taught me this when they hired me", but more of "this is who I am".

Now, forgive me for being racist here, but the majority of those with whom I have interacted with are Hispanic.

Even the Burger King across from the Hotel treated me like I was at Chick-Fil-A, rather than BK.

This just ain't right!!!
    You think maybe that they are suffering from a political extremist deficiency, or is there some other reason for this unseemly behaviour?
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

You think maybe that they are suffering from a political extremist deficiency, or is there some other reason for this unseemly behaviour?
      I really don't know, friend, but I hope they don't discover a cure any time soon.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Seriously, why this comes up.....

I live in a fairly small town that has lots of "mom and pop" shops and restaurants. Our Chamber of Commerce is constantly promoting "SHOP LOCAL".

But, there needs to be a REASON not to drive 45 miles for much wider variety, lower prices and FRIENDLY FACES!!!

I think our Chamber of Commerce needs to work with the local merchants and tell them - you have to give customers a REASON to "shop local".

A warm welcome and a smile would go a long way toward that end.

Comment

Seriously, why this comes up.....

I live in a fairly small town that has lots of "mom and pop" shops and restaurants. Our Chamber of Commerce is constantly promoting "SHOP LOCAL".

But, there needs to be a REASON not to drive 45 miles for much wider variety, lower prices and FRIENDLY FACES!!!

I think our Chamber of Commerce needs to work with the local merchants and tell them - you have to give customers a REASON to "shop local".

A warm welcome and a smile would go a long way toward that end.
          Hmmm ... there are many Christians and churches that could benefit from adopting the same approach toward outsider sinners, methinks.
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
          Scripture before Tradition:
          but that won't prevent others from
          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Hmmm ... there are many Christians and churches that could benefit from adopting the same approach toward outsider sinners, methinks.
            Absolutely! As long as they're not displaying a hostile attitude and demonstrating a determination to bring division, which is one of the legitimate biblical reasons for which they can be sent along their merry way.

If there's even a HINT that somebody want's to have an honest discussion, I'm all for it. Which is why I spend so much time during the week with people who pretty much universally have different political leanings than me, and are only remotely open to the Gospel.

Comment

The view is quite lovely too!!
              That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                The view is quite lovely too!!
                Maybe that counts for something for the attitudes of the locals.

Comment

No lie, my neighborhood is largely Latino, and they have intact families with extremely polite and well behaved kids. They are a pleasure to be around...
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

No lie, my neighborhood is largely Latino, and they have intact families with extremely polite and well behaved kids. They are a pleasure to be around...
                    There was even a big scary looking Hispanic biker dude in Stripes when I was getting my Chicken Fajita Taco, and he saw my Church's logo on my vest and smiled real big and said, "God Bless you, Pastor".

(Just in case somebody doesn't get it, I'm purposely playing up the typical false negative stereotype, and basking in the friendliness of the locals)

Comment

With few exceptions, people are naturally friendly, generous and cooperative.
                      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                      “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                        You've obviously never been to New York City...
                        That's what
                        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

LOL! No he hasn't!
                          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Or pretty much any big city run by the left.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                              The standard response in NYC to being told "good morning" is along the lines of "what do you mean by that?"

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment