Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Israel Elections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Israel Elections

I am interest to know what the Christians here make of this. Will the US adjust its relationship with Israel?

“Bibi Got Back.” Last week, an unprecedented fifth national election in the last four years returned controversial former Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to power, at the head of a coalition including several far-right nationalist parties. What does his return to office mean for the future of Israel and the region? And its relations with the United States?
    I was listening to this podcast:

https://shows.acast.com/lawfare/epis...s-back-edition

"He wants the best for Israel. He wants the terrorists out," said Noam from a settlement in the occupied West Bank. "We don't want the Arabs, they throw rocks at us and take our spots in Israel," he went on, before being hushed by a party activist.
    Very anti-Arab. The two-states solution is dead, it seems.

“I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
    I am interest to know what the Christians here make of this. Will the US adjust its relationship with Israel?

Meanwhile:

https://www.france24.com/en/middle-e...ne-year-hiatus

Netanyahu, 73, faces charges of fraud, breach of trust and accepting bribes in a series of scandals involving media moguls and wealthy associates. In exchange for their policy priorities and plum government appointments, Netanyahu's likely coalition partners have promised to advance a series of legal reforms and to weaken the Supreme Court, measures that could make his legal woes disappear.

And this:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/i...gvir-rcna56754

Israel’s president on Friday asked former Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to form a new government, presenting the longtime leader currently standing trial on corruption charges with the chance to end years of political instability in Israel with his partners on the far right.

The decision by President Isaac Herzog was announced by his office after he consulted with leaders of all of the parties elected to Israel’s parliament in last week’s national election.

He will formally present Netanyahu with the task on Sunday and give him a month to cobble together a governing coalition with a majority in the 120-seat Knesset.

Netanyahu had governed Israel for 12 successive years before being being ousted by a broad but fragile coalition in 2021. His comeback in last week’s election, the nation’s fifth vote in four years, seemed to ensure Israel would have a cohesive government with a comfortable majority for the first time since 2019.

But it will be the most right-wing and religious government in Israel’s history, after Netanyahu forged an alliance with an ultranationalist party that has grabbed headlines for its anti-Arab sentiment and threats to overhaul the judicial system.

One of Netanyahu’s coalition partners, far-right lawmaker Itamar Ben Gvir, has pledged to deport rival lawmakers, give soldiers more freedom to shoot Palestinians and end Palestinian autonomy in parts of the occupied West Bank.

On Thursday, Ben Gvir paid a glowing tribute to the late racist rabbi Meir Kahane, whose Kach party was banned in Israel and outlawed as a terrorist organization in the United States. Ben Gvir’s possible appointment to a key ministry, such as public security, could inflame tensions with Israel’s Arab minority and escalate hostilities in volatile Jerusalem.

"It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

I suspect that old Joe will do what Obama did, namely blatantly doing to Israel what we accused Russia of doing to us.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        I suspect that old Joe will do what Obama did, namely blatantly doing to Israel what we accused Russia of doing to us.
        I’m not sure what you are saying here. Please explain
        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post
          I am interest to know what the Christians here make of this.
          Why are we expected to "make" anything of it?

Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post
          Will the US adjust its relationship with Israel?
          Liberals hate Bibi, so I expect there will be some change in how Joe and his administration deal with Israel.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I’m not sure what you are saying here. Please explain
            Obama sent advisors over to help beat Bibi in an election. Talk about your election interference.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Liberals hate Bibi, so I expect there will be some change in how Joe and his administration deal with Israel.
              Hilarious how people like you will worship someone like Bibi, who has multiple corruption scandals, but then you'll scream till you're red in the face at how evil and corrupt Zelensky is (without a shred of evidence) and that we shouldn't send money to help Ukraine (meanwhile we send billions upon billions upon billions to Israel). Very, very telling just how much of a Russian pawn you are.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Obama sent advisors over to help beat Bibi in an election. Talk about your election interference.
                That appears to mean that you would take sides with Netanyahu against the United States, which remains committed to a negotiated solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and believes that Israelis and Palestinians alike deserve equal measures of freedom, security and prosperity.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Hilarious how people like you will worship someone like Bibi, who has multiple corruption scandals, but then you'll scream till you're red in the face at how evil and corrupt Zelensky is (without a shred of evidence) and that we shouldn't send money to help Ukraine (meanwhile we send billions upon billions upon billions to Israel). Very, very telling just how much of a Russian pawn you are.
                  When did I ever worship Bibi?

As for Zelinsky and the Ukrainian government in general, their decades of corruption is well documented. I'm sorry you're ignorant. Wikipedia has a good article that you might find informative (with the usual caveats about the reliability of Wikipedia, but the article is thoroughly sourced, so I'm willing to risk it ):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruption_in_Ukraine
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

When did I ever worship Bibi?
                    Since back in 2016 apparently, all the way to now when you were whinging about liberals hating Bibi.

Netanyahu would have been a safe choice.

As for Zelinsky and the Ukrainian government in general, their decades of corruption is well documented. I'm sorry you're ignorant. Wikipedia has a good article that you might find informative (with the usual caveats about the reliability of Wikipedia, but the article is thoroughly sourced, so I'm willing to risk it ):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruption_in_Ukraine
                    So, zero evidence of Zelensky being corrupt (from your own source: "President Zelensky warned that if parliament did not restore these anti-corruption laws, foreign aid, loans and a visa-free travel to the European Union were at risk.")

Yet Netanyahu has multiple corruption scandals and the conservatives and far right of this country continue to lick his boots even now.

Comment

That appears to mean that you would take sides with Netanyahu against the United States, which remains committed to a negotiated solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and believes that Israelis and Palestinians alike deserve equal measures of freedom, security and prosperity.
                      I'm saying nothing of the sort but rather pointing out direct election interference. Just another thing that those on the left are two-faced about.

Comment

The US has a lot of interests in Israel - including its arms industry.

Liberals hate Bibi,
                        Do you admire him? A man accused of taking bribes, committing fraud, and breaches of trust.

so I expect there will be some change in how Joe and his administration deal with Israel.
                        They could always send the bill!

"It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                          Do you admire him? A man accused of taking bribes, committing fraud, and breaches of trust.
                          Hillary has been accused of being a murderer..... Perhaps "Accused" isn't the standard you should be using.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
                            Hillary has been accused of being a murderer..... Perhaps "Accused" isn't the standard you should be using.
                            Of course he is innocent until proven guilty. However, can you tell me if Clinton has [as yet] stood trial for her alleged crime?
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Of course he is innocent until proven guilty. However, can you tell me if Clinton has [as yet] stood trial for her alleged crime?
                              Irrelevant to the standard you put forth, you're reasoning was that he was "A man accused of taking bribes, committing fraud, and breaches of trust."

Comment