Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Somebody please give me a rundown on the election?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Has a recount every overturned an election result?
    Al Franken became a Senator in 2008 after a recount in an election he had lost.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
      Bernie Sanders is a Democrat in everything but name, he should honesty just admit it and formally switch his party affiliation already. Even if he won't do it, he really should be counted as one.

Angus King comes much closer to warranting the name of Independent, though he still falls fairly comfortably within the pale of the Democratic Party (even if on the opposite side of it as Sanders). Heck, from what I can tell he's (policy-wise) probably more of a Democrat than Sinema and Manchin (who are formally Democrats) are.
      I believe I noted somewhere that when Clinton was president he backed Sanders over the Democrat Party's candidate because Sanders could be counted on voting the party line 100% of the time, whereas few if any actual Democrats ever do so.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Interesting, looks like the carpetbagging (or tax evasion, one or the other) is real for Herschel Walker.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...reak-in-texas/
        Georgia’s Herschel Walker getting ‘homestead’ tax break in Texas

Georgia Republican Senate nominee Herschel Walker benefits from a tax exemption on his Texas home even though the GOP candidate lives in Georgia.

The tax exemption is meant for primary residents in Texas, but for 2022 Walker will get a $1,500 homestead exemption at his Dallas area home, CNN reported.

The same exemption allowed Walker to save $1,200 on his property tax bill at his $3 million home last year, according to the Texas Tribune.

Under Texas law, homeowners can only claim a tax exemption if the home is their primary residence.

If a homeowner leaves, they may continue to claim the exemption, but only if they don’t establish a principal residence elsewhere.

The exemption also raises questions about Walker’s candidacy, as the U.S. Constitution requires Senate candidates to live in the state they are running for office in.

The Republican candidate is in a tight race against Sen. Raphael Warnock (D) in Georgia.

The two nominees will face off again in a December runoff election, which will determine how much control Democrats will have in the Senate.

Walker bought the home near Dallas in 2011, according to the Texas Tribune, and has claimed the tax exemption since 2012.

The homestead tax exemption has landed other Texas politicians in hot water before, including former Texas Gov. Rick Perry (R), who repaid his taxes.

Walker registered to vote in Atlanta in 2021. He listed his residence at a home in an Atlanta neighborhood owned by his wife, according to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Walker, a football legend in Georgia, was born and raised in the state and played for the University of Georgia.

Comment