Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

We are a threat to Democracy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

And right away she is challenging the result. I wager if she had won she would not have tweeted the following

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2022...nors-race.html

It’s not clear if Lake, who has repeatedly attacked election officials and promoted doubts about the integrity of the count, will ever concede. Soon after the calls for Hobbs were made on Monday night, Lake tweeted, “Arizonans know BS when they see it.” According to the Washington Post, aides and allies had been working to prepare Lake for the bad news and have advised her “to take a measured approach and not ‘storm the castle,’ as one person present for the discussions described the sentiments.”

I wonder how she took the news from her aides?
    A close race that took days to count would be challenged pretty much anywhere regardless of who won or who lost

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

I doubt she would. If Hillary had won would the democrats have yelled about Russia for 4 years?

If Gore had won would we have heard "Selected not Elected" for four years from the Democrats (15 House Democrats even objected to counting Florida’s electoral votes)?

If Kerry had won would we have heard that the election was stolen (31 House Democrats even objected to counting Ohio’s electoral votes)?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        If Gore had won would we have heard "Selected not Elected" for four years from the Democrats (15 House Democrats even objected to counting Florida’s electoral votes)?

If Kerry had won would we have heard that the election was stolen (31 House Democrats even objected to counting Ohio’s electoral votes)?
        She's killing it with these hhypotheticals...

Trump is about the only idiot I know ho wins an election then complains...but that's his ego.

Speaking of his ego, wapo is saying that his classified documents were likely kept on the basis of pure ego ("its my stuff and I don't have to give it up ") as opposed to anything nefarious.

This makes me chuckle. Trump may be done in, not out of anything nefarious, but because he can't keep his ego in check....pure hubris.
        Last edited by CivilDiscourse; 11-15-2022, 06:39 AM.

Comment

I doubt she would. If Hillary had won would the democrats have yelled about Russia for 4 years?

These days, even the Russkies are boasting about their ongoing influence ops.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/rus...ns-2022-11-07/
          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

The Bush/Gore election was decided by SCOTUS, not the voters, making it one of the most notorious SCOTUS decisions in American history.
            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post

The Bush/Gore election was decided by SCOTUS, not the voters, making it one of the most notorious SCOTUS decisions in American history.
              Nope... It was decided by vote totals...
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

She's killing it with these hhypotheticals...

Trump is about the only idiot I know ho wins an election then complains...but that's his ego.

Speaking of his ego, wapo is saying that his classified documents were likely kept on the basis of pure ego ("its my stuff and I don't have to give it up ") as opposed to anything nefarious.

This makes me chuckle. Trump may be done in, not out of anything nefarious, but because he can't keep his ego in check....pure hubris.
                I can believe that. I also think there may be a couple of embarrassing things included that he'd rather keep to himself. As you say, nothing nefarious, but since his communication with Zelensky was used as gunpowder against him, he probably kept some other similar communications.

Comment

I hope you realize that you are an extremist who is a threat to the very existence of democracy. Any requests for your last meal?

The SCOTUS ruled that the Democrats couldn't cherry pick which ballots they wanted to recount. That they have to recount them all. If they had simply done that, as the law required, there wouldn't have been any problem. Instead they kept dithering around trying to get only the votes that they wanted recounted until it was too late to count them all.

But you're right that the Florida vote was notorious -- but not for the reason you think.

The MSM called the state for Gore while the peninsula was still voting (the state is divided between two time zones). The peninsula is a Republican stronghold largely thanks to the military bases there[1] and many voters simply went home without voting thinking "why bother."

That was real voter suppression.

1 are you familiar with the organized attempt by Democrats to get military ballots discounted? Hundreds were trashed before the courts put an end to it. The Democrats kept pushing it (including in the next election), but it pretty much died when Gore's running mate, Joseph Lieberman, announced his support for counting them -- something that the Democrats never forgave him for.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post

Nope... It was decided by vote totals...
                    A fair election requires both a fair casting and a fair counting of votes. This was not achieved. Had it been, Gore would have been POTUS.

Comment

I hope you realize that you are an extremist who is a threat to the very existence of democracy. Any requests for your last meal?

The SCOTUS ruled that the Democrats couldn't cherry pick which ballots they wanted to recount. That they have to recount them all. If they had simply done that, as the law required, there wouldn't have been any problem. Instead they kept dithering around trying to get only the votes that they wanted recounted until it was too late to count them all.

But you're right that the Florida vote was notorious -- but not for the reason you think.

The MSM called the state for Gore while the peninsula was still voting (the state is divided between two time zones). The peninsula is a Republican stronghold largely thanks to the military bases there[1] and many voters simply went home without voting thinking "why bother."

That was real voter suppression.

1 are you familiar with the organized attempt by Democrats to get military ballots discounted? Hundreds were trashed before the courts put an end to it. The Democrats kept pushing it (including in the next election), but it pretty much died when Gore's running mate, Joseph Lieberman, announced his support for counting them -- something that the Democrats never forgave him for.
                      There are a few more complications than I thought.

Of course, once the Bush campaign discovered CNN’s errors, it activated an emergency get-out-the-vote phone operation, making “tens of thousands of calls into Republican households in the Panhandle,” and thus may have boosted Republican turnout there as a result.
                      https://www.salon.com/2015/12/19/geo...the_wrong_guy/

Comment

A fair election requires both a fair casting and a fair counting of votes. This was not achieved. Had it been, Gore would have been POTUS.
                        Nope, Bush won the count, then Gore demanded that three Dem counties be recounted - that is what the Court stopped (because it was selective). When those three counties were later counted Bush still won. If they had recounted the whole state Gore would have won. But that request was never on the table from the Gore team...
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

There are a few more complications than I thought.

https://www.salon.com/2015/12/19/geo...the_wrong_guy/
                          By all accounts the Republicans lost several thousands of votes when the MSM called it before the polls were closed. Even more when they trashed military ballots. The idea that a bunch of get out the vote calls might have increased votes is ludicrous in that they first had to realize it happened, then start to mobilize and make enough calls in less than an hour's time to offset all of those that simply left when the heard the news. That is utterly impossible.

Comment