Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Oh look, Liberal book Banning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh look, Liberal book Banning

Source: https://www.foxnews.com/media/literary-figures-sign-open-letter-amy-coney-barrett-book-deal-top-publisher

Angry literary figures demand Amy Coney Barrett book be shut down in open letter to publisher

Over 500 literary figures have signed an open letter demanding Penguin Random House shut down a book deal with Supreme Court Justice Amy Coney Barrett valued at $2 million over her vote to overturn Roe v. Wade.

In the letter, the progressive signers claimed that while they "care deeply about freedom of speech," they also believe it is important for publishers to uphold their own dedication to the first amendment with a "duty of care."

"We recognize that harm is done to a democracy not only in the form of censorship, but also in the form of assault on inalienable human rights," the letter states. "As such, we are calling on Penguin Random House to recognize its own history and corporate responsibility commitments by reevaluating its decision to move forward with publishing Supreme Court Justice Amy Coney Barrett’s forthcoming book."

The letter claims that Coney Barrett violated her judiciary role by "inflicting her own religious and moral agenda" upon the American public, and that Random House’s decision to move forward with her book is a violation of "international human rights." They also claimed the book goes against the publisher’s own Code of Conduct.

"This is not just a book that we disagree with, and we are not calling for censorship. Many of us work daily with books we find disagreeable to our personal politics," the letter signees write. "Rather, this is a case where a corporation has privately funded the destruction of human rights with obscene profits."

The letter added that in joining the majority vote to overturn Roe v. Wade in June, Barrett was responsible for "dismantling protections for the human rights to privacy, self-determination, and bodily autonomy along with the federal right to an abortion in the United States. International human rights organizations widely recognize abortion access as a fundamental human right and have condemned the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision."

The list of dissenters who signed the letter include "Rick and Morty" writer Erica Rosbe, employees of Random House, employees of HarperCollins, Barnes and Nobles employees, and various other publishers, authors, and members of the press.

The group behind the letter provided comment to Publishers Weekly on Tuesday, further clarifying its stance on the book deal.

"With the midterms coming up, and the 2024 election looming, the group decided it was time to make a statement," @publishersbrunch told Publishers Weekly on behalf of the group. "We cannot, and will not, amplify the voices of extremists (like Amy Coney Barrett) who would gladly take away the rights of millions of Americans if given the chance. I'm extremely proud to see the responses thus far and hope that this action encourages others in the industry to speak out!"

The book is being published by Sentinel, an imprint and trade name of Penguin Random House. The imprint focuses on conservative content and has recently published books written by Dave Rubin, Ann Coulter and Reihan Salam.

Sentinel did not reply to Fox News Digital’s request for comment.

News of the Coney Barrett book deal was revealed in April 2021. Publishing industry sources noted that the book garnered a $2 million advance and would focus on how judges are not supposed to bring their personal feelings into their rulings.

This is not the first time Coney Barrett has faced backlash for her Supreme Court ruling.

In August, it was reported that Rhodes College alums were lobbying the school to remove Coney Barrett from the Rhodes Hall of Fame.

Coney Barrett was nominated to the Supreme Court by President Trump in 2020 and rapidly confirmed to fill the seat of the late Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. She is the fifth woman to serve on the court; Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson became the sixth earlier this year.

© Copyright Original Source

"I'm not calling for censorship, I just demand that this book be removed so people won't be exposed to it." How people can contradict themselves with a straight face is a mystery to me.

Comment

No surprise. JK Rowling got herself banned years ago for her position on transgender athletes.
      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Once again, misdeeds/ill intentions by liberals get 0 comments from the liberals on this site. Seems that their beliefs are "If you can't defend it, ignore it."

Comment

Whatever it is, if a liberal does it, then it's alright.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
            Once again, misdeeds/ill intentions by liberals get 0 comments from the liberals on this site. Seems that their beliefs are "If you can't defend it, ignore it."
            I'm all for free speech, including the right to sign a letter demanding that a book not be published.

Now, if the government tried to keep a book from being published, that would be a violation of the first amendment.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

I'm all for free speech, including the right to sign a letter demanding that a book not be published.

Now, if the government tried to keep a book from being published, that would be a violation of the first amendment.
              That's interesting, but it boils down to a standard "meh it's legal"

Would you have the same non judgemental opinion of a letter demanding publishers not deal with filthy black people?

Comment

That's interesting, but it boils down to a standard "meh it's legal"
                It's embarrassing to find that your attempt to shut down freedom of speech in the name of freedom of speech has been exposed, isn't it?

Would you have the same non judgemental opinion of a letter demanding publishers not deal with filthy black people?
                No, but my objection would be to the racism, rather than to an attempt to suppress free speech.

Comment

"It ain't necessarily so
                  The things that you're liable
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life
                  Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

It's embarrassing to find that your attempt to shut down freedom of speech in the name of freedom of speech has been exposed, isn't it?

No, but my objection would be to the racism, rather than to an attempt to suppress free speech.
                    What attempt? You seem to be using the common tactic of "confusing" condemnation with an attempt to silence.

So, if you want to accuse me of shutting down speech, you should show it.

Besides, as per your own standards, I, a private citizen cannot shut down freedom of speech, only the government can (with few exceptions) .

If you think I fall into one of your exceptions you should show that.
                    Last edited by CivilDiscourse; 10-29-2022, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Since you decided to chime in, what is your opinion given that you got all up in vapors a while back about book banning/burning, so much you started an entire thread. Surely you have an opinion here....

Comment

Since you decided to chime in, what is your opinion given that you got all up in vapors a while back about book banning/burning, so much you started an entire thread. Surely you have an opinion here....
                        I agree with what Stoic wrote at post #6.

"It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

I agree with what Stoic wrote at post #6.
                          You mean when Stoic said "I'm all for free speech, including the right to sign a letter demanding that a book not be published" ?

That's not supporting free speech, that's supporting censorship. Of course, you're also free to spin that any way you want.

Comment

If a teacher or librarian decided to burn or otherwise destroy books, then you'd be okay with it since the government didn't keep it from being published?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

You mean when Stoic said "I'm all for free speech, including the right to sign a letter demanding that a book not be published" ?

That's not supporting free speech, that's supporting censorship. Of course, you're also free to spin that any way you want.
                              It supports people's right to protest. It does not follow that their request/demand will acknowledged or implemented.
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment