Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Over 6 in 10 Americans favor leaving race out of college admissions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

Everything!
    If you're a racist, then sure.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

Everything!
      So you don't have a problem with Harvard discriminating against Asians? I guess you are a racist...
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

So you don't have a problem with Harvard discriminating against Asians? I guess you are a racist...
        More than just Harvard.

Source: Asian-Americans Fight Back Against School Discrimination

From Harvard to a Virginia high school, courts take up racial preferences’ harm to this minority population.

Despite all the happy talk on the left about the benefits of diversity, America’s real strength has been its ability to transcend problems that have crippled other multiethnic, multireligious and multilingual societies. We’re at our best when the focus is on what unites us as Americans. And what seems to be uniting a growing number of Americans today is opposition to a Democratic equity agenda that effectively plays racial and ethnic groups against one another.

The Supreme Court is poised to strike a blow for colorblind college admissions later this year when it considers a case involving alleged anti-Asian discrimination at Harvard. But the fight continues at the K-12 level as well. Two years ago, the school board in Fairfax County, Va., altered the admissions standards at Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology, one of the top-ranked public schools in the country. Among other things, standardized testing requirements were eliminated, and subjective admission criteria were added in an effort to deny slots to Asian-Americans and boost enrollment among blacks and Hispanics.

It worked. Following the changes, Asian enrollment in Thomas Jefferson’s freshman class declined from around 73% to less than 50%. Parents filed a lawsuit, and last week a federal court ruled that the admissions changes were illegal. “The Board’s main problem is its focus on the goal to have TJ reflect the demographics of the surrounding area, described primarily in racial terms,” Judge Claude Hilton wrote in his summary judgment for the plaintiffs. “Emails and text messages between Board members and high-ranking [Fairfax school] officials leave no material dispute that, at least in part, the purpose of the Board’s admissions overhaul was to change the racial makeup to TJ to the detriment of Asian-Americans.”

The ruling describes the school board’s actions as “racial balancing for its own sake,” which is “patently unconstitutional.” The Supreme Court has said that a compelling interest is necessary to justify race-based actions by the government, and school officials failed to meet that standard. “The Board cannot transform racial balancing into a compelling interest ‘simply by relabeling it ‘racial diversity,’ ” Judge Hilton wrote.

[*Story continues by clicking hyperlink*]

Source

© Copyright Original Source

More information regarding the discrimination: Discrimination in College Admissions
        Last edited by rogue06; 10-31-2022, 06:28 AM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

Our college admissions have been overwhelming racist for most of it's history. One case does not make an argument. I do not believe this case in and of itself is discrimination against Asians
          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

The reason they likely say they also want programs that promote racial diversity is because that's a loaded question. No one is going to want anyone to think they don't want to promote racial diversity, so they're almost forced to say yes to that. They should rephrase that question or don't ask it at all. A program that claims to promote racial diversity is also very subjective as to whether one believes it does or does not.
            It's like if you ask people whether or not they want a certain project and most say yes, but if you tell them that will mean higher taxes and suddenly most support for it vanishes.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment