Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trudeau bans all handgun sales and transfers in Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trudeau bans all handgun sales and transfers in Canada

Canada's Trudeau announces ban on handgun sales, transfers, saying 'fewer guns means safer communities'

Trudeau says handgun freeze is most aggressive Canadian gun control measure 'in a generation'

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on Friday announced a freeze on handgun sales and transfers.

The handgun freeze, which went into effect Friday, outlaws sales, purchases and other transfers of handguns between individuals. Additionally, no foreign handguns may be brought into the country from abroad.

"Canadians have the right to feel safe in their homes, in their schools, and in their places of worship," Trudeau said in a statement on the freeze. "With handgun violence increasing across Canada, it is our duty to take urgent action to remove these deadly weapons from our communities. Today, we’re keeping more guns out of our communities, and keeping our kids safe."

The Prime Minister's Office released a document explaining Trudeau's thought process and the additional safety they hope to propagate via the handgun freeze.

"Fewer guns mean safer communities. That’s why the Government of Canada is implementing some of the strongest gun control measures in a generation," the office boasts on its website.

The statement continues, "Handguns are the weapon of choice in most firearm-related crimes, which is why limiting the number of handguns is a critical part of our plan to protect Canadians from gun violence."

https://www.foxnews.com/world/canada...er-communities

All it does is make it harder for law abiding citizens to protect themselves. Criminals will still have and get handguns.

Gun control is one of those issues where the extremes on both sides make me uneasy.

I think conservatives need to grasp that not all people can handle guns properly and care should be exercised on who gets them.

I think liberals need to grasp that criminals don't care about the law so all the gun control in the world isn't going to restrict them.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
      Gun control is one of those issues where the extremes on both sides make me uneasy.

I think conservatives need to grasp that not all people can handle guns properly and care should be exercised on who gets them.

I think liberals need to grasp that criminals don't care about the law so all the gun control in the world isn't going to restrict them.
      I have no problem with not everyone getting a gun. Only those who want one should get one. And I also think they should get training in how to handle the gun safely and use it accurately.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

Often that takes care of itself. Usually those who have no clue regarding how to handle a firearm safely are also those who have no interest in doing so much less owning a gun.

That said, there will be exceptions as well as those who "think" they know how to handle a gun because they watched a lot of movies and TV where the actors are using them.

This is why I strongly urge folks to take a safety course so they don't accidentally shoot themselves or someone else.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Is Trudeau a dictator now? Doesn't something like this need to work its way through legislation?

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
            Is Trudeau a dictator now? Doesn't something like this need to work its way through legislation?
            The bill is supposedly "working its way through parliament" and Trudeau has basically enacted it in the meanwhile. Canada sucks. He has way too much power.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

The bill is supposedly "working its way through parliament" and Trudeau has basically enacted it in the meanwhile. Canada sucks. He has way too much power.
              They seriously need to rework the balance of power there.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                Yes, he’s been a dictator for years now. And although the Liberals hold a minority government right now, they’ve made deals with the NDP so that party supports them as long as the Libs give them whatever they want.

And more often than not the Bloc joins in with the other two. So Trudeau gets his way until 2025 now, unless there is enough outcry from the people that a vote of non-confidence sends us into a snap election.

We all saw how that worked in February this year.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

This appears to be the legal bill that is in parliament.

https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/c...ms/c21-en.aspx

Comment

Dang. I wonder what other laws he can simply propose and then start enforcing them without ever having to wait for them to pass. In fact, he doesn't even have to worry about it passing. Just keep proposing it with insignificant changes while enforcing it.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Dang. I wonder what other laws he can simply propose and then start enforcing them without ever having to wait for them to pass. In fact, he doesn't even have to worry about it passing. Just keep proposing it with insignificant changes while enforcing it.
                      Happens all the time. Happened with the invocation of the Emergencies Act this year. NOW they are having the discussion about it.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Happens all the time. Happened with the invocation of the Emergencies Act this year. NOW they are having the discussion about it.
                        That's a pretty dangerous way of doing things. Enforce it now and discuss it later?

Trudeau: I am gonna disband parliament now and we can discuss it later when there is no parliament.

Comment

That's a pretty dangerous way of doing things. Enforce it now and discuss it later?

Trudeau: I am gonna disband parliament now and we can discuss it later when there is no parliament.
                          Precisely.

Just imagine the mischief a rogue or pirate could get into with power like that.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            Precisely.

Just imagine the mischief a rogue or pirate could get into with power like that.
                            Yeah! I could ban you now, then we could discuss it later!

Comment

Yeah! I could ban you now, then we could discuss it later!
                              Banning me from Canuckistan would hardly be an accomplishment[1].

I'm figuring I'd show Canuckistanis what real bacon is like and not the ham they call bacon.

1. back in the day I traveled under a Canuckistani passport (prolly stuck in a drawer somewhere) under an assumed name that was close enough to my real name that it would register if someone addressed me.

Comment