Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Election Denialism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Election Denialism

Democrats have ignored the massive damage that their policies have inflicted on America to campaign instead on abortion and "saving Democracy." By saving democracy they mean retaining power -- keeping Republicans out of office. Democrats claim it is essential for the sake of the country that they be permitted to continue running it into the ground is because Republicans are "election deniers" and nothing is more of a threat to the survival of the nation than that.

They even insist that Trump's denial of the accuracy of the 2020 vote is "unprecedented" -- but is it really?

The fact is that historically speaking the results of several U.S. elections have been called into question both legitimately and illegitimately. It is nothing new.

For instance, the 1800, 1824, 1876, and 1960 elections were all questioned for legitimate reasons. In some of these cases, a partisan House of Representatives decided the winner.

But let's look at more recent history.

In 2000, Al Gore did not accept the popular vote results in Florida and denied losing the presidential election. Instead he spent five weeks futilely contesting the state's tally, trying to get special, limited recounts of very specific areas -- until recounts and the Supreme Court certified it. This led to the Democrat election denial mantra that George W. Bush was "selected not elected" for years to come.

Gore himself would continue to complain that he really won, whining in 2017 that Jeb Bush "may have had something" to do with him losing Florida and saying a bit later "Actually, I think I carried Florida."

Other Democrats like Jimmy Carter kept claiming that "There is no doubt in my mind that Al Gore was elected president."

Likewise, Hillary Clinton, during a debate in 2016, proclaimed that the Supreme Court "took away a presidency" from Gore.

Terry McAuliffe routinely claimed the election was "stolen" and even refused to say that Bush had won.

Former DNC Chair Debbie Wasserman-Schultz was still declaring in 2016 that "did win the election."

15 House Democrats even objected to counting Florida’s electoral votes

But that's Democrat election denialism, so that doesn't count.

There was similar election denialism after the 2004 presidential race. The Democrats claimed that the election was "fixed."

Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-CA) and 31 Democratic House members voted not to certify the Ohio election results in their efforts to overturn the election. Those denialists included the current sanctimonious chairman of the January 6 select committee, Rep. Benny Thompson (D-MS).

Sen. Tom Harkin (D-IA) applauded their actions declaring that their denialism constituted an "important service for American democracy."

Sen. Ted Kennedy (D-MA) agreed with Harkin, saying the election was the result of “manipulation” and therefore "flawed."

And then House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) praised Boxer’s challenge of the election, saying the debate is "fundamental to our democracy." Pelosi declared that it was "appropriate" to have a debate regarding the "integrity" of the 2004 election.

After 2016, crackpot Democratic orthodoxy for years insisted that Trump had "colluded" with Russia to "steal" certain victory from Hillary Clinton. This was something that Hillary has repeatedly claimed over the years as I've previously noted

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Compare that to

In October 2019:

Source: Hillary Clinton Labels Trump an "Illegitimate President"

Hillary Clinton said that Donald Trump is an "illegitimate president" during a Wednesday appearance on ABC's "The View."

Source

© Copyright Original Source

In September 2019:

Source: Hillary Clinton: Trump is an "illegitimate president"

Hillary Clinton dismissed President Trump as an "illegitimate president" and suggested that “he knows” that he stole the 2016 presidential election in a CBS News interview to be aired Sunday.

Source

In May 2019,

Source: Hillary Clinton suggests 2016 election was "stolen" from her

Hillary Clinton said on Saturday she is advising candidates about what it is like to have an election "stolen" during an "Evening with the Clintons" event in Los Angeles, Calif.

"You can run the best campaign, you can even become the nominee, and you can have the election stolen from you," Clinton said she has been telling candidates who have come to see her. The comment was met with cheers.

Source

In September 2017 (nearly a year after the election, in an interview with NPR) "Hillary Clinton just floated the possibility of contesting the 2016 election"

And this from May 2020 since that was when she went on his show:

Source: Hillary doubles down: Trump's election victory was 'illegitimate', you know

At this point, maybe Hillary is tripling down or quadrupling down. She is still beating a dead horse -- the loser of the 2016 presidential election wanted the viewers of Trevor Noah's late-night television show to know that Trump's victory was illegitimate and she has thoughts or something. She doesn't have any new thoughts, mind you, but she is bitterly clinging to her old thoughts.

Source

As harsh as the above sounds it comes from a source that is ranked as Left-Center

And in October 2020, Hillary on the New York Times podcast "Sway": "I was the candidate that they basically stole an election from"

That is not a complete list of the times Hillary complained the election was stolen and Trump was illegitimate and it should be noted that old Joe has also declared the 2016 election illegitimate:

At a May 2019 Biden campaign event held New Hampshire there was a woman who kept going on and on about Trump being an "illegitimate president." Toward the end she said

I think all the talk about impeachment and what the Democrats should do, that’s fine, it’s theoretical at this point. Let them investigate, let them subpoena, let them go to the Supreme Court, he's illegitimate.

Biden responded, "Would you be my vice presidential candidate?" Now that can be dismissed as joking but then Biden turned toward the crowd and declared "Folks, look, I absolutely agree." So he was removed any doubt and definitely agreed that he thought Trump was an "illegitimate president."

As I've also previously noted:
    It isn't just Hillary and old Joe. The same is true for folks like Robert Reich (Clinton's Secretary of Labor), the late Rep. John Lewis (D-Ga.)[1], Rep. Mad Max(ine) Waters (D-Ca.), Donna Brazile (Al Gore's campaign manager in 2000 and head of the Democratic National Committee), and former President Jimmy Carter since they have also claimed that Trump wasn't legitimately elected.

Likewise, Sen. Cory I-am-Spartacus Booker (D-Pa) also called him illegitimate and Sen. Bernie Sanders told George Stephanopoulos that Trump stole the election but wouldn't use the term "illegitimate" when asked, using the excuse that "Those are just words."

Rep. Jerrold Pooped-my-pants-in-public Nadler (D-NY) declared on CNN that "...the Russian weighing-in on the election, the Russian attempt to hack the election and, frankly, the FBI’s weighing-in on the election, I think, makes his election illegitimate, puts an asterisk next to his name."

And there was Don Beyer (D-Va.) who refused to attend Trump's inauguration because he declared that "I will not be part of normalizing or legitimizing a man whose election may well have depended on the malicious foreign interference of Russia’s leaders."[2] He was joined by Rep. Steve Cohen (D-TN) who referred to Trump as the "president semi-elect."

Then of course, you have Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Ca.), repeatedly saying that the reason that they had to proceed with the impeachment at warp speed was because they had to keep Trump from running in 2020 and stealing another election -- even after the Mueller Report and Mueller's Congressional testimony had cleared him of collusion. Keep in mind that Schiff is the clown who kept saying he had a mountain of evidence that was irrefutable proof of collusion, but for some strange reason he never shared any of this supposed "evidence" with Mueller or released any of it since then.[3]

As an aside about the aforementioned Hillary (post #4), after "graciously conceding" she, like Trump, was also involved in a bunch of lawsuits in states like Arizona, Nevada, North Carolina, Michigan and elsewhere. In her case she sued over claims of voter intimidation. She, like Trump, lost all of them.

1. No surprise there since he regarded every single Republican elected president while he was a Congressman as being illegitimate. For him if a Republican won it was because of fraud. But to be specific, according to the Washington Post (WaPo):

Rep. John Lewis, a Democratic congressman from Georgia and civil-rights icon, told NBC's Chuck Todd in an interview for Sunday's "Meet the Press" that he believes Russia's alleged hacking aimed at helping Trump in the 2016 race makes Trump an illegitimate president.
    Asked whether he would forge a relationship with President-elect Trump, Lewis said, "It's going to be very difficult. I don't see this president-elect as a legitimate president."

He added: "I think the Russians participated in helping this man get elected, and they helped destroy the candidacy of Hillary Clinton." Lewis called it a "conspiracy" and added: "That's not right. That's not fair. That's not the open democratic process."

2. If he said he won't be part of legitimizing Trump's presidency then he thinks it was illegitimate.

3. In much the same way that Buzzfeed repeatedly insisted they actually "saw the documents" that showed that Trump told Cohen to lie before Congress, even doubling down on the claim after Mueller took the unusual action of calling their report bogus. AFAICT, they're still insisting that they saw these non-existent documents. So much for believing anything they ever say.

Of course there was also that list of denialist Hollyweird celebutards who cut television commercials begging members of the Electoral College to violate their oaths and instead flip the election to Hillary Clinton.

It should also be noted that old Joe filled a lot of positions in the White House with long time ardent election deniers. For instance, Biden’s Chief of Staff Ron Klain still claims that Al Gore won the 2000 election and Rep. Marcia Fudge (D-OH), who became Biden’s HUD Secretary, said that Trump wasn't a "legitimate president."

Finally, let's not forget about how that the same MSM that now regards questioning an election as a threat to democracy if not outright treason, were then echoing the claims of "stolen" elections and "illegitimate" presidents.

Here are the editorials run in the Washington Post (Trump is an illegitimate president whose election is tainted by fraud), U.S. News & World Report (The Illegitimate Victor), the Los Angeles Times (It's Becoming Clear: Trump Is an Illegitimate President[1]), the Guardian (One year on, Donald Trump is still an illegitimate president), Salon (Trumps presidency is illegitimate) and American Prospect (An Illegitimate Presidency).

And while we're at it, let's also not overlook the whole "Not My President Movement" which held Not My Presidents' Day rallies in over 30 cities on Presidents' Day and the New York Times ran an editorial Not My President, Not Now, Not Ever (a Washington Post-ABC poll found that a third of "Hillary Clinton supporters say Donald Trump's presidential victory is not legitimate"). There were already multiple instances of violent anti-Trump protests well before he was even elected. And the day after he was elected there was rioting in Oakland for three or four days, mostly caused by students from Berkeley. IIRC, when school authorities claimed the violence was done by outside agitators a number of students stepped forward and denied this was the case and proudly took responsibility.

Similar rioting took place in a number of other cities as well. Enough so that a reporter for the Chicago Tribune boasted that, unlike elsewhere, the protests in that city were "devoid of any of the heavy vandalism of effigy burning that occurred elsewhere"

After 2016 we have Hillary, who insists Gore won in 2000, and she won in 2016, urging Joe Biden not to concede the 2020 election if he lost.

And does anyone remember how old Joe declared that the 2022 Midterms wouldn't be legitimate unless the Democrat's steal the vote legislation isn't passed? After Allison Ford asked Biden "Speaking of voting rights legislation, if this isn't passed, do you still believe the upcoming election will be fairly conducted and its results will be legitimate?"

Obviously reading his response, old Joe proclaimed:

"It all depends on [long pause] whether or not we're able to make the case to the American people that some of this is being set up to try to alter the outcome of the election."

The ever helpful press corp offered Biden a chance to walk that back but he doubled down on it instead.

And finally, there is the case of unrepentant election denier Stacey Abrams, the Democrat candidate for governor. In spite of losing by over 50,000 votes she continues to claim that she won and the election was stolen.

Many of the usual election result denying Democrats immediately jumped on the bandwagon.

Hillary said that Stacey Abrams "would have won" the race "if she had a fair election" and that Abrams "should be governor" but was "deprived of the votes [she] otherwise would have gotten."

Sen. Corey "I-am-Spartacus" Booker (D-NJ) declared that, "I think that Stacey Abrams’s election is being stolen from her" with Sen. Elizabeth "Fauxcahontas" Warren (D-MA) agreeing saying that "the evidence seems to suggest" the race was stolen from Stacey Abrams.

Not to be excluded, Sherrod Brown (D-OH) said that "if Stacey Abrams doesn’t win in Georgia, they stole it" while former Vermont Governor and DNC chair Howard Dean told Abrams that she “should not concede” and that the election was "almost certainly stolen."

Another election denier on old Joe's staff, his new Press Secretary, Karin Jean-Pierre tweeted that the Georgia governor's race was stolen (she's yet another 2016 election denier as well).

But that's (say it with me folks) Democrat election denialism, so that doesn't count.

1. The online version changed the title to "Was the 2016 election legitimate? It's now definitely worth asking the question" but Real Clear Politics had the story with the original title.
    Last edited by rogue06; 10-24-2022, 09:26 AM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Who wants to bet that if the Democrats lose the house and senate in the mid-terms they will scream about election fraud?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Who wants to bet that if the Democrats lose the house and senate in the mid-terms they will scream about election fraud?
        Nothing changes. Back when Clinton was president the MSM and the left routinely lectured about the danger of angry or upset voters. Yet when Bush won, like a switch was thrown, we started seeing and hearing stories about how voter anger is justified and durn near a patriotic duty.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Huffpost (and others) are laying the groundwork to deny the election, while trying to claim that their denial is different:

Source: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/election-officials-fear-sabotage-far-right-poll-workers-watchers-midtems_n_6350498fe4b051268c5082ea

Some Officials Fear Sabotage From Republican Election Workers

Believers in Trump’s lies about the 2020 election could take matters into their own hands this time around.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            That was a media smackdown.

Comment

Ted Cruz appeared on The View, which the New York Times has proclaimed to be "the most important political TV show in America," and schooled the coven of shrews about election denialism

Source: Bringing Receipts! Cruz DOMINATES The View, Liberal Audience on Dem Election Denial

A tour de force is the only way to describe what happened during ABC’s The View on Monday as Texas Senator Ted Cruz (R) dominated the debate on Democratic election denialism, getting co-host Whoopi Goldberg to admit that they’re fine with election denialism from Democrats and that she thinks former President Trump wasn’t legitimately elected. He did this while also battling the radical liberal studio audience that protested and heckled him, and who were only scolded after they turned on the cast.

The interview for his new book, Justice Corrupted: How the Left Weaponized Our Legal System, started simple enough with co-host Sara Haines downplaying the pain Americans were feeling from inflation and suggesting abortion was the more important topic.

But as Cruz was elaborating about inflation and how “[the Biden] administration’s agenda has been a train wreck,” climate protesters started to shout at and over Cruz. They were allowed to do this for 31 seconds and were only told to stop by the cast after they started criticizing the show itself.

“We do cover climate here, guys,” shouted faux Republican co-host, Alyssa Farah Griffin. Co-host Whoopi Goldberg blew a gasket, screaming: “Excuse me! Excuse me, ladies! Ladies! Excuse us! Let us do our job! Let us do our job! We hear what you have to say, but you got to go! You got to go! You got to let us do our job!”

They were eventually forced to go to a commercial break after more protesters started shouting curses and ABC had to mute the audio. Cruz appeared amused as, despite the lack of sound, he seemed to laugh at the spectacle.

On the other side of the break, self-proclaimed “Republican” co-host Ana Navarro pressed Cruz on Donald Trump’s 2016 attacks on his family. Cruz said he needed to put the interests of his constituents over his own feelings. “I would say your responsibility was to the Constitution and democracy,” she sneered.

Cruz responded by dropping the truth bomb that it’s the Democrats who are undermining the country, which caused Goldberg to choke and cough

CRUZ: I agree. And let me be very clear, I think that the Democrats had been undermining the Constitution and undermining democracy--

[Goldberg appears to choke and cough]

CRUZ: -- and that -- the book, that is coming out tomorrow, is on exactly that topic, how the Department of Justice and the FBI have been turned into partisan weapons to attack the political opponents of the Biden administration.

“While you're talking about we corrupted it. You guys don't pay any attention to it,” Goldberg whined, sparking this back and forth:

CRUZ: Whoopi, that’s a great talking point.

GOLDBERG: Sir, I don’t do talking points. This is just how I feel.

CRUZ: But it happens not to be true.

GOLDBERG: Oh, honey.

A short time later, racist Sunny Hostin (who claims Latino Republicans like Cruz are an “oxymoron”) shouted that “Donald Trump weaponized the Department of Justice!” Asked to give “one example,” Cruz embarrassed her by calling out her lazy attack:

CRUZ: Give me one example.

HOSTIN: Bill Barr.

CRUZ: Okay. You’ve said a name. What did Bill Barr do? Okay, “weaponize.” Give me the target that was persecuted. Because I can tell you who the Democrats – Merrick Garland directed the FBI to go after moms and dads who go to school boards and treat them as domestic terrorists using the PATRIOT Act. That is fundamentally wrong and it is --

HOSTIN: You do write about that in your book?

CRUZ: Yes, I do.

But the sparks really took off after Farah Griffin tried to corner Cruz on January 6. After he insisted “Biden IS the President today,” he took to calling out the liberal media and The View directly for their double standard for propagating and defending election denialism from Democrats.

“There are a lot of folks in the media that try to, any time a Republican is in front of a TV camera try to say, the election was fair and square and legitimate. Do you know who yall dont do that too? You don’t do it to Hillary Clinton who stood up and said, Trump stole the election,” he called them out.

“Why don’t you tell that to Stacey Abrams who said the election was stolen?” he added. The ladies were TRIGGERED and Goldberg let the mask slip by falsely declaring that the 2016 election was STOLEN by Trump:

CRUZ: Why don’t you tell that to Stacey Abrams who said the election was stolen? They sat here and said it was illegitimate.

GOLDBERG: Yes! That’s right. And it was.

CRUZ: Okay, so its illegitimate when Republicans win, but not when Democrats –

Goldberg then tried to suggest that Democrats don’t get violent when they lose elections. Cruz called her out on that lie too as she tried to pretend that Antifa didn’t exist

GOLDBERG [interrupting]: No. Here’s the thing. We may not like when Republicans win, but we don’t go and we don’t storm. We don’t try to change the – We’ll go to court. We don’t do that.

CRUZ: Did I miss an entire year of Antifa riots where cities across this country were burning and police cars were being firebombed?

GOLDBERG: I don't know what an Antifa riot is. I guess you did.

CRUZ: Your position is the left doesn't engage in violence, really?

“You just accused us of doing something we didn't do. You said Hillary Clinton didnt say whatever she didnt say,” she whined, suggesting they weren’t election deniers.

Bringing the actual receipts, Cruz promptly reached into his jacket and pulled out a packet of Democratic quotes claiming Republicans from Trump to George W. Bush had stolen elections. This too triggered Goldberg as she scoffed at his “paperwork”

CRUZ: She sat here and you were fine with her saying it was illegitimate.

GOLDBERG: Yes, for her it was.

[Cruz pulls out a packet of quotes]

HOSTIN: As did Stacey Abrams.

(…)

CRUZ: Hillary Clinton says “Trump is an illegitimate president.” Hillary Clinton says, “the election is stolen” from you. Hillary Clinton in 2002, “George W. Bush was selected not elected.”

GOLDBERG [Mockingly]: Oh, you have all your paperwork.

CRUZ: Joe Biden, “Al Gore was elected president.” So, Joe Biden claims George W. Bush was illegitimate

And for the cherry on top, Cruz concluded that schooling by noting that even members of the January 6 Committee have wallowed in election denialism. “The chairman of the January 6 Committee objected to a prior presidential election. Representative Raskin, the lead prosecutor of impeachment objected to a prior presidential election,” he recalled, to the protest of the cast. Shortly thereafter, Goldberg ended the interview.

Source

[*Aside from names in the boxes, all bolding is part of the original*]

Gotta love it when Whoopsie sanctimoniously huffed that unlike Republicans, Democrats don't "storm the capitol" blithely ignoring two Democrat storming of the capitol in 2018 alone. One during the Kavanaugh confirmation hearings where they had to be delayed for nearly a week as a result and where a Senator was held hostage in an elevator until he acquiesced to their strongarm intimidation (something that the MSM praised), as well as the A.O.C.-led mob that took over the Speaker's office holding her captive until police started making multiple arrests in order to get to her.

Unfortunately, Cruz didn't mention those examples that put the lie to Goldberg's claim, but focused solely on the "entire year of Antifa riots" where "cities across this country were burning," but that was fine since this led to her having to act like an ignoramus and feign ignorance (then again...).

Goldberg literally denied knowing what Cruz was talking about: "I don't know what an ‘Antifa riot’ is," which led to Cruz remarking that she was providing an example of "disinformation coming from the corrupt corporate media."

Comment

Hilary claims that "right wing extremists" are plotting to steal the 2024 presidential election. I guess pre-denialism is a thing now.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...tial-election/
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  Hilary claims that "right wing extremists" are plotting to steal the 2024 presidential election. I guess pre-denialism is a thing now.

Gotta lay the groundwork.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Hillary claims that the 2000 election was illegitimate.

Hillary claims that the 2016 election was illegitimate.

Hillary told old Joe to claim the 2020 election was illegitimate if he lost.

So, par for the course.

Comment

Hillary claims that the 2000 election was illegitimate.

Hillary claims that the 2016 election was illegitimate.

Hillary told old Joe to claim the 2020 election was illegitimate if he lost.

So, par for the course.
                      She is destroying democracy! Start a congressional hearing!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                          Lake is a true journalist, unlike the barely-literate Leftoids she was addressing. And yet we're still continually treated to links of CNN and NYT on this discussion board by people who believe they know what journalism is?

Comment

Don't really care if they bother to hold a hearing on this one or not, but there's a LOOONG queue of things the Republicans had BETTER hold hearings on.
                            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

Don't really care if they bother to hold a hearing on this one or not, but there's a LOOONG queue of things the Republicans had BETTER hold hearings on.
                              Unfortunately, "hearings" rarely lead to "doings" -- consequences and repairs.
                              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment