Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Florida Corrections Officers Paralyzed Man, Then Left Him in Solitary Confinement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida Corrections Officers Paralyzed Man, Then Left Him in Solitary Confinement

They left him there quadriplegic for days, mocking him and laughing at him and telling him he was faking it for a lawsuit. When one officer finally decided that something was wrong days later (after days without him eating anything as he could not), he was finally sent to a hospital, where he died a month later. The coroner ruled the death a homicide, but now, 3 years later, not a single punishment has been meted out to the corrections officers, let alone charges for the death (or charges against the doctors and nurses at the prison hospital who examined him several times and declared him 'uninjured').

A new Miami Herald deep-dive investigation brought this case to attention this week, particularly the utter lack of any consequences.

https://reason.com/2022/10/19/florid...y-confinement/

Florida Corrections Officers Paralyzed A Man, Then Left Him in Solitary Confinement

Craig Ridley died in 2017 after corrections officers paralyzed him and left him in solitary confinement for days without access to food. A medical examiner ruled Ridley's death a homicide—yet state and federal prosecutors brought no charges in the case.

An investigation recently released by the Miami Herald sheds further light on the incident, which occurred in 2017—and includes video of officers repeatedly refusing to believe the injured Ridley's claims that he couldn't walk and had been paralyzed. Ridley's death marks the third time in recent years that corrections officers have broken Florida inmates' necks during prison beatings. It is yet another abuse case inside Florida prisons with seemingly no consequences for those responsible.

Craig Ridley was an inmate working in the kitchen at the Florida Department of Corrections Reception and Medical Center, serving a 20-year mandatory minimum sentence for attempted murder charges. According to the Herald, on September 8th, 2017, an altercation occurred in which Craig Ridley was tackled to the ground face-first by corrections officers, dislocating his neck.

"My neck is broke," Ridley told officers shortly after his injury, "I'm paralyzed." According to the Herald, which obtained a 383-page report about the incident, one inmate later claimed that an officer told Ridley, "you're bullshitting . . . You're just trying to get a lawsuit."

After a short medical exam, correctional officers took Ridley to solitary confinement, placing Ridley on the cell's toilet. Ridley shortly fell off it, breaking his nose. The Herald reports that Ridley's cellmate, Moise Cherette, began banging on the cell's door and calling for help—though no staff immediately came to Ridley's aid. Eventually, Ridley was taken to be examined by a prison doctor, who found that Ridley was not injured.

In the coming days, other inmates alerted officers to Ridley's condition. However, the Herald reports that officers and nurses did nothing—walking by Ridley's cell 173 times over five days. "For five days I watch them starve him," Cherette wrote to Florida Department of Law Enforcement investigators. "[T]hey ain't feed him or nothing every time they stop he tell them that he can't move the nurse laugh an make jokes and keep going."

According to The Herald, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement's report of the incident showed that "At least 11 inmates in his cell block reported that Ridley never moved from his bunk, did not pick up his food trays, and that the officers ignored him and said he was faking."

On September 12th, Corrections Officer Jesse Mallard noticed Ridley's unusual behavior, with FDLE stating that Mallard "stated something did not feel right with how Ridley was acting." The Herald reports that Ridley was again taken for medical examination, after which prison doctors sent Ridley to Memorial Hospital in Jacksonville in the early hours of September 13th, where he was intubated.

Ridley died one month later, on October 12th. A medical examiner ruled the death a homicide, citing the cause of death as "blunt impact" to the head and neck, a spinal cord injury, and "complications of quadriplegia."

"There should have been criminal charges to come out of this," Aubrey Land, a former investigator with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, told the Herald "There is serious medical neglect, evidence of falsifying documents, and a man that died. It looks mighty bad."

Ridley's death is part of a larger pattern of behavior by guards in Florida prisons. In 2018, inmate Cheryl Weimar was paralyzed from the neck down after prison guards beat her nearly to death. In 2020, a Florida corrections officer brutally beat handcuffed inmate Christopher Howell, breaking his neck and killing him.

"This was an inhumane death caused by an abysmal lack of medical treatment," Diane Ridley Gatewood, Ridley's sister, told the Herald, "it was torture."

And it appears to be part of a disturbing pattern in Florida Corrections/Prisons, going by the latter part of the article.

Here's the Miami Herald report as well (likely need to use an Archive service to read on-site as it is paywalled:
    https://www.miamiherald.com/article266896361.html
    Last edited by Gondwanaland; 10-19-2022, 09:10 PM.

Prison doctors examined him twice and declared him uninjured?

Comment

I don't know that I'd call three incidents at (apparently) 3 different facilities in 4 years a pattern, but the indifference shown by the officers, nurses and doctors in Ridley's case is appalling.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        I don't know that I'd call three incidents at (apparently) 3 different facilities in 4 years a pattern, but the indifference shown by the officers, nurses and doctors in Ridley's case is appalling.
        What I don't get is the prison doctor(s).

I can understand prison guards not believing him (not even necessarily the ones that caused his injury) because they may hear a lot of false claims from prisoners and are skeptical about them. But prison doctors were brought in twice (or the same doctor?) and declared him uninjured. Doctors should know better.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

What I don't get is the prison doctor(s).

I can understand prison guards not believing him (not even necessarily the ones that caused his injury) because they may hear a lot of false claims from prisoners and are skeptical about them. But prison doctors were brought in twice (or the same doctor?) and declared him uninjured. Doctors should know better.
          Yep. I wonder if it's the close work environment. They see the guards everyday and know the guards, likely friends with them.

Whatever it is, it's either failure to actually check thoroughly and just going through the motions while taking the guard opinions instead of doing their jobs themselves, actual incompetence, or deliberate collusion are about all I can come up with.

Comment