Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Oath Keepers Sedition Trial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oath Keepers Sedition Trial

Stewart Rhodes + 4 are on trial:

A second day of witness testimony is underway in the trial of Oath Keepers leader Stewart Rhodes and four others tied to the far-right anti-government militia group, who face charges of seditious conspiracy for their roles in the attack on the US Capitol on 6 January, 2021.

Federal prosecutors argue the group and its leader spent weeks plotting an attempt to violently disrupt the joint session of Congress, alongside a mob of Donald Trump’s supporters, to block the certification of Joe Biden’s presidency.

Recordings allegedly captured during a meeting with the group reveal their preparations for a “fight” on January 6, with Mr Rhodes telling others to “do it smart” and “while President Trump is still commander in chief.”

Opening arguments began on 3 October, during which prosecutors said that the group planned an “armed rebellion” to “stop by whatever means necessary the lawful transfer of presidential power”.

FBI testimony also revealed group messages from Mr Rhodes preparing to reject the outcome of the 2020 election hours after polls had closed, and urging members to “refuse to accept Biden as the legitimate winner.”
    According to Rachel, it’s the first sedition trial since 1944 (Nazi spies).

“I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post

The extreme right Trumpian attempt to over throw the legitimately elected government revealed in spades.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Can't find a link in the OP to find the full article for context.

This Yahoo News article is a bit more balanced.

It specifically notes the prosecution is not of the Oath Keepers per se, but only of those five.

It notes that no evidence was presented to show Trump had any knowledge of Rhodes' attempts to contact him to request he invoke the Insurrection Act to somehow legitimize the actions of Rhodes and his team.

It notes that following the rally, Rhodes and his team acted on their own, because "I see no intent by [Trump] to do anything. So the patriots are taking it into their own hands."

It also gives some of the defendants' side of the story, with attorney Linder asserting that many of the communications presented as evidence were distorted, mischaracterized, or decontextualized.

Attorney Linder "said that Rhodes would testify in his own defense and had offered to testify to the House committee investigating Jan. 6 events but was not invited to do so."
      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

The OP from here:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b2195304.html
        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
          Can't find a link in the OP to find the full article for context.

This Yahoo News article is a bit more balanced.

It specifically notes the prosecution is not of the Oath Keepers per se, but only of those five.

It notes that no evidence was presented to show Trump had any knowledge of Rhodes' attempts to contact him to request he invoke the Insurrection Act to somehow legitimize the actions of Rhodes and his team.

It notes that following the rally, Rhodes and his team acted on their own, because "I see no intent by [Trump] to do anything. So the patriots are taking it into their own hands."

It also gives some of the defendants' side of the story, with attorney Linder asserting that many of the communications presented as evidence were distorted, mischaracterized, or decontextualized.

Attorney Linder "said that Rhodes would testify in his own defense and had offered to testify to the House committee investigating Jan. 6 events but was not invited to do so."
          Rhodes and Co are thinking, this is our time to act while we have Trump in the White House. They got all the encouragement and motivation they needed from Trump - the false claims often and still repeated that the election was rigged against poor Donald.

Comment

Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post

Rhodes and Co are thinking, this is our time to act while we have Trump in the White House. They got all the encouragement and motivation they needed from Trump - the false claims often and still repeated that the election was rigged against poor Donald.
            There is simply too much evidence for any reasonable person to conclude that the Democrats didn't cheat.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I thought Rachel abandoned MSNBC. She find a new soapbox?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

If Trump is responsible for Rhodes then you cannot say that Bernie isn't responsible for Hodgkinson and his attempted assassination of Republican lawmakers during softball practice in 2017 and Schumer isn't personally responsible for Roske coming from California to Kavanaugh's house with a gun intent on assassinating him.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  I thought Rachel abandoned MSNBC. She find a new soapbox?
                  I think she landed on a steaming only service. Of course firstfloor signed up.

Comment

If Trump is responsible for Rhodes then you cannot say that Bernie isn't responsible for Hodgkinson and his attempted assassination of Republican lawmakers during softball practice in 2017 and Schumer isn't personally responsible for Roske coming from California to Kavanaugh's house with a gun intent on assassinating him.
                    And Biden and his "MAGA Republicans are destroying democracy" speech would then be responsible for Shannon Brandt and his running down and killing of an 18 year old Republican: https://www.usnews.com/news/us/artic...-ran-over-teen

Comment

What about the Biden supporter who murdered a teenage Republican following Joe's Philadelphia speech where he all but declared war on conservatives? Not a metaphorical war but an actual guns and bullets war.

Comment