Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump and North Korea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Whatever you did a short while ago that brought about a return to lucidity for a couple of days has left no trace as you are back to incoherent mutterings that rarely relate to the post you're "responding" to.
    His TDS and anti-conservative ranting is about as psychotic as oxmixmudd, but at least oxmixmudd could convey it in an intelligible way.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
      But it is extremely counterproductive - if not down right dangerous - to publicly humiliate an adversary. Especially one that might be somewhat unhinged and has nuclear capabilities. Just another reason these idiots running the show right now have us on the brink of a nuclear war.
      I seem to recall thinking the same thing back when Trump was doing it. (Before he and Kim fell in love.)

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

President Trump did far more to make peace with North Korea than any other recent president. The left mocked him, but his meeting with Kim on N. Korean soil was a significant accomplishment and an historic moment.
        Similar to the mockery Trump got when he said he would move the US embassy in Israel to Jerusalem, or when he warned Germany about becoming too dependent on Russian energy, or when he warned Assad about crossing a real "red line" (unlike Obama's variety). Or making the US energy independent, or securing our southern border, or fast-tracking a vaccine for covid, etc.

Now I'd like to list Biden's accomplishments ...

Inflation? He's pretty good at increasing that. Oh, and he so insulted the Saudi prince so that they are going to throw in with Russia, sticking it to him with a 2 million-per-day OPEC decrease in oil production. Get ready for some huge oil and gasoline prices for election time. And before the Leftoids here start singing about how the prince is a murderer ... we all already know that. But wagging one's finger in his face has repercussions, and why public denunciations (the Left loves so much) is counterproductive to US goals.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

I seem to recall thinking the same thing back when Trump was doing it. (Before he and Kim fell in love.)
          I don't recall any talk of a nuclear war when Trump was in office. What are you referring to?

ETA: You mean the "Rocket Man" nickname?

Comment

Similar to the mockery Trump got when he said he would move the US embassy in Israel to Jerusalem, or when he warned Germany about becoming too dependent on Russian energy, or when he warned Assad about crossing a real "red line" (unlike Obama's variety). Or making the US energy independent, or securing our southern border, or fast-tracking a vaccine for covid, etc.

Now I'd like to list Biden's accomplishments ...

Inflation? He's pretty good at increasing that. Oh, and he so insulted the Saudi prince so that they are going to throw in with Russia, sticking it to him with a 2 million-per-day OPEC decrease in oil production. Get ready for some huge oil and gasoline prices for election time. And before the Leftoids here start singing about how the prince is a murderer ... we all already know that. But wagging one's finger in his face has repercussions, and why public denunciations (the Left loves so much) is counterproductive to US goals.
            Virtue signaling makes for terrible foreign policy.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Virtue signaling makes for terrible foreign policy.
              The Left is so detached from reality that it probably never occurred to Biden that his public denunciation and his snub were connected. That he shouldn't make a spectacle of himself saying "Bad! Bad! Bad prince!" and then race over to ask him for a favor.

All Leftists should take Diplomacy 101 before the entire world is at war.

Comment

I don't recall any talk of a nuclear war when Trump was in office. What are you referring to?

ETA: You mean the "Rocket Man" nickname?
                No, I was referring to when he threatened to totally destroy North Korea, in a speech before the UN.

Comment

No, I was referring to when he threatened to totally destroy North Korea, in a speech before the UN.
                  Found it.

I don't recall that speech (or the comment). At least that prompted Trump to communicate directly with Kim, which was kind of the point of this thread. Instead of continuing any "virtue signaling" about destroying Korea (bad strategy) he went straight to Kim and assured him that he wasn't going to be attacked (good strategy - especially since Kim and his family have always been paranoids).

Comment

I don't recall that speech (or the comment). At least that prompted Trump to communicate directly with Kim, which was kind of the point of this thread. Instead of continuing any "virtue signaling" about destroying Korea (bad strategy) he went straight to Kim and assured him that he wasn't going to be attacked (good strategy - especially since Kim and his family have always been paranoids).
                    Sure, appeasement tends to work in the short run. Kim got what he wanted (to be treated as a major player on the world stage, and to be able to keep developing his weapon systems) and that kept him happy for a while.

Comment

Sure, appeasement tends to work in the short run. Kim got what he wanted (to be treated as a major player on the world stage, and to be able to keep developing his weapon systems) and that kept him happy for a while.
                      As opposed to public threats to destroy his country wouldn't cause him to develop his military?

Comment

The Left is so detached from reality that it probably never occurred to Biden that his public denunciation and his snub were connected. That he shouldn't make a spectacle of himself saying "Bad! Bad! Bad prince!" and then race over to ask him for a favor.

All Leftists should take Diplomacy 101 before the entire world is at war.
                        He had to at least have a clue when a couple months before his trip[1] the Saudi prince refused to take old Joe's call when he first started begging for more oil.

1. the same trip, where arriving at Israel, he stumbled off Air Force One asking, "What am I doing now?," had to be steered onto the red carpet and then accidentally waxed lyrical about the "honor" of the Holocaust.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

As opposed to public threats to destroy his country wouldn't cause him to develop his military?
                          I don't think he has ever stopped developing weapons.

Comment

I don't think he has ever stopped developing weapons.
                            That cannot be confirmed but we do know he stopped testing them.

No nuke tests. No missile launches over South Korea, or Japan, or toward Guam.

Comment

That cannot be confirmed but we do know he stopped testing them.

No nuke tests. No missile launches over South Korea, or Japan, or toward Guam.
                              Yeah, when developing weapons, you don't necessarily test them continuously. You run a few tests, then take some time to analyze the data, make changes to the design (or create a new design from scratch), manufacture some new test weapons, and then run more tests. The fact that North Korea went a few years without conducting any tests (that we know about) isn't really special.

Comment

Yeah, when developing weapons, you don't necessarily test them continuously. You run a few tests, then take some time to analyze the data, make changes to the design (or create a new design from scratch), manufacture some new test weapons, and then run more tests. The fact that North Korea went a few years without conducting any tests (that we know about) isn't really special.
                                And the only known break since Kim Jong-un lasting more than a couple months just happened to be during and after talks with Trump.

Comment