Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Why is the left having fits about the new Virginia School Requirement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

You made an absolute statement. How careless of you. You should have added a qualifier.
    And H_A has a problem with qualifiers.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

So why did your OP fail to link to any of that? It would have made for a more coherent OP if those links had been provided. This [four pages in] and only after my remarks is something of an afterthought on your part.
      Well because most of us who are consumers of American news have seen most of this. But I will aske you again - what is the problem with notifying parents when sexual topics come up? Why not offer them an alternative if they don't want their kids exposed to it?
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

You made an absolute statement. How careless of you. You should have added a qualifier.
        As I was referring to the OP link it was not required.

According to that link [which was the only evidence I was aware of prior to the thread starter posting belated evidence] the Left had made no complaint over this issue.

Now from his afterthought post I see the issue appears to be primarily with LGBTQ+ not "sexual bestiality, sadomasochistic abuse, coprophilia, urophilia, or fetishism", which seems something of an OTT response.

"It ain't necessarily so
        The things that you're liable
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life
        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

According to that link [which was the only evidence I was aware of prior to the thread starter posting belated evidence] the Left had made no complaint over this issue.

Now from his afterthought post I see the issue appears to be primarily with LGBTQ+ not "sexual bestiality, sadomasochistic abuse, coprophilia, urophilia, or fetishism", which seems something of an OTT response.

I will aske you again - what is the problem with notifying parents when sexual topics come up? Why not offer them an alternative if they don't want their kids exposed to it?

And this is one of the books they don't want their kids exposed to:

"Gender Queer," an award-winning 2014 graphic novel by Maia Kobabe, includes photos of sexual acts between a boy and a man.
          Last edited by seer; 10-04-2022, 12:08 PM.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

No, it was. When you crawl on your high horse, context doesn't matter. So, it doesn't matter here. Your own standards. Stand by them or admit hypocrisy.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              She really does have a prurient obsession about everyone's sex life life, doesn't she?

And she's too old to pretend that she's like a naïve 5 year old who doesn't understand that it is none of her business.
              I remember when she got all titillated a while back when I used the word "spanked" to describe her utter trouncing in debate. I think she was telling us something.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

I remember when she got all titillated a while back when I used the word "spanked" to describe her utter trouncing in debate. I think she was telling us something.
                The woman needs a good man!

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
                  You too?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Vermont girls volleyball players banned from locker room after objection to transgender student

https://www.foxnews.com/us/vermont-g...student-report

Comment

You'll need to back that up. I've not seen a definition that defines it "in and of itself" as sexual conduct.
                      https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/18.2-390/

(3) "Sexual conduct" means actual or explicitly simulated acts of masturbation, homosexuality, sexual intercourse, or physical contact in an act of apparent sexual stimulation or gratification with a person's clothed or unclothed genitals, pubic area, buttocks or, if such be female, breast.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post

(3) "Sexual conduct" means actual or explicitly simulated acts of masturbation, homosexuality, sexual intercourse, or physical contact in an act of apparent sexual stimulation or gratification with a person's clothed or unclothed genitals, pubic area, buttocks or, if such be female, breast.
                        Acts of.. so, no homosexuality isn't defined as sexual conduct. Same sex acts are..

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                          And this is one of the books they don't want their kids exposed to:

"Gender Queer," an award-winning 2014 graphic novel by Maia Kobabe, includes photos of sexual acts between a boy and a man.
                          Looking the sections of the book that are available on Amazon it appears remarkably innocuous.

As for your comment concerning:

photos of sexual acts between a boy and a man

The one photo that gets mentioned is a reproduction of a section from a piece of ancient Greek pottery. According to the favourite reference site of rogue06 [Wiki] there is fantasy sequence depicted in the novel premised on that piece of pottery. The novel also contains some masturbation and an oral sex scene.

However, this work is aimed at older pupils. It is not being read in Kindergarten and teachers are not gratuitously corrupting "innocent" young minds.

By the time most children have reached the age by which they will be reading this book they will be aware of their own sexual fantasies, sexual feelings and experiences, including masturbation; albeit not necessarily oral sex. It also gives reassurance to those who are possibly struggling with gender issues, that they are not weird or abnormal.

I can see why why there is such a furore over the book. It is because many people are really hung up about sex [and all things sexual] and get very agitated if those issues stray out of what they deem to be the "appropriate" context and/or situation.

Originally posted by seer View Post

I will aske you again - what is the problem with notifying parents when sexual topics come up? Why not offer them an alternative if they don't want their kids exposed to it?
                          I would answer as follows:
                          • Sexual topics should always be addressed age specifically and both honestly and openly;
                          • I would assume schools have some policy on such issues as reading material [and of which parents are aware] prior to enrolling their children;
                          • Education should not be beholden to the whims of minorities or zealots [on either side of the political divide];
                          • Parents can always move their offspring to other scholastic institutions, or [as your country permits] home educate, although that might prove an issue if both parents are in full time employment.
                          I would hope that school librarians, teachers, governors, and parents can have reasoned discussions among themselves over this issue without resorting to shouting abusive comments at one another, which does so often seem to be the way of such meetings.

"It ain't necessarily so
                          The things that you're liable
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life
                          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post

And, you should realize that the definitions are specific to the section of the code they are written to. For example, here is another act:

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/...ction2.2-3901/

C. The term "sexual orientation," when used in reference to discrimination in the Code and acts of the General Assembly, means a person's actual or perceived heterosexuality, bisexuality, or homosexuality.

Comment

Looking the sections of the book that are available on Amazon it appears remarkably innocuous.
                              Isn't that pretty much what you said about men waving their shortcomings in the face of young children?

Comment

As for your comment concerning:

photos of sexual acts between a boy and a man
                                You can see the actual drawings here, warning they are graphic, so much so I can't post it here....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/6910...1633280687008/

I can see why why there is such a furore over the book. It is because many people are really hung up about sex [and all things sexual] and get very agitated if those issues stray out of what they deem to be the "appropriate" context and/or situation.
                                We don't really care what you think of our 'hang ups' after all some people are actually ethical. The point is there is no downside with informing parents, and offering them an alternative.

Comment